Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Software RAID configuration
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Software RAID configuration Post 302449309 by pludi on Monday 30th of August 2010 06:32:27 AM
Old 08-30-2010
Software RAIDHardware RAID
ProsWorks without extra hardware; works across different types of hardware; works across network hardware devices (eg. SAN); works across differently sized disks using partitionsUsually faster; won't tax the CPU on high load
ConsChecksum calculation is done on the CPU; (probably) won't work on different OS'; no booting except from RAID1a vendor-switch is impossible

This is by no means a complete table, but it's a starting point. For more information read up on RAID

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

regd raid 0 configuration

Hey Alll Thanks for the help u give me yesterday,i need a help again from u all guys i have RS 6000 server with AIX 4.3.3 OS and with external storage (multipack) with 12 Hard disk drive which will be connected to RS 6000 scsi controller ,i dont have any raid card. now i have to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris8in
0 Replies

2. SuSE

Raid software besides Veritass

Hello Lunix people, I am looking for Raid software or solution besides Veritas. Veritas has some great software but are way too costly. Does anyone know of good raid software that but NOT Veritas. I need the funcations but not the cost. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xtmeisel
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Software RAID ...

Hi all, I m just trying using software RAID in RHEL 4, without problem , then i wanna simulate if disk 1 is fail (thereis an bootloader), i plug off my 1st disk. My problems is the second disk cannot boot? just stuck in grub, the computer is hang. Sorry for poor concept in RAID? I use a RAID 1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blesets
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Software RAID (0+1)

Hi! A couple of months ago a disk failed in our JBOD cabinett and I have finally got a new disk to replace it with. It was a RAID 0 so we have to create and configure the whole thing again. First we thought of RAID 1+0 but it seems you can't do this with LVM. If you read my last thread, you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoff
0 Replies

5. Linux

Software RAID on Linux

Hey, I have worked with Linux for some time, but have not gotten into the specifics of hard drive tuning or software RAID. This is about to change. I have a Dell PowerEdge T105 at home and I am purchasing the following: 1GBx4 DDR2 ECC PC6400 RAM Rosewill RSV-5 E-Sata 5 bay disk enclosure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark54g
6 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Software RAID

Hello, My company has inherited a Centos based machine that has 7 hard drives and a software based raid system. Supposedly one of the drives has failed. I need to replace the hardrive. How can I about telling which hard drive needs replacing? I have looked in the logs and there clearly is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID software vs hardware RAID

Hi Can someone tell me what are the differences between software and hardware raid ? thx for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: presul
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Software RAID on top of Hardware RAID

Server Model: T5120 with 146G x4 disks. OS: Solaris 10 - installed on c1t0d0. Plan to use software raid (veritas volume mgr) on c1t2d0 disk. After format and label the disk, still not able to detect using vxdiskadm. Question: Should I remove the hardware raid on c1t2d0 first? My... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KhawHL
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

RAID Configuration for IBM Serveraid-7k SCSI RAID Controller

Hello, I want to delete a RAID configuration an old server has. Since i haven't the chance to work with the specific raid controller in the past can you please help me how to perform the configuraiton? I downloaded IBM ServeRAID Support CD but i wasn't able to configure the video card so i... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
0 Replies
ATARAID(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						ATARAID(4)

NAME
ataraid -- software BIOS RAID SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device ataraid ld* at ataraid? vendtype ? unit ? DESCRIPTION
The ataraid driver provides support for BIOS-based software RAID controllers. These are devices which have some simple support for several basic RAID levels (often RAID 0 and RAID 1), but which require software support to actually perform the RAID function. The BIOS support is largely just to create and recognize the array so that it may be a boot device. The driver currently supports RAID formats from: o Adaptec HostRAID (found in Intel 6300ESB) o Intel MatrixRAID o JMicron RAID o nVidia MediaShield o Promise FastTrak o Via V-RAID (found in many VIA-based motherboards) Status of the logical disk as well as the disks associated with it, can be viewed through the bioctl(8) utility. SEE ALSO
ld(4), bioctl(8) HISTORY
The ataraid driver first appeared in NetBSD 2.0. AUTHORS
The ataraid driver was originally adapted from FreeBSD by Jason Thorpe <thorpej@NetBSD.org>. BUGS
Not all features of the software RAID are currently recognized or supported. For example, the Adaptec support doesn't recognize when a RAID 1 should be in a ``building'' state, and it does not do the right thing. At least part of the reason for this is that the publically-available information on these formats is quite limited. BSD
September 16, 2008 BSD