Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers best method of replacing multiple strings in multiple files - sed or awk? most simple preferred :) Post 302448452 by rich@ardz on Thursday 26th of August 2010 05:21:01 AM
Old 08-26-2010
to loop through all the files in a dir would the following work?:

Code:
function Replace
{
for f in $files
do

sed -i 's/JAM/BUTTER/g;s/BREAD/CRACKER/g;s/SCOOP/FORK/g;s/SPREAD/SPLAT/g' *

exit

done
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text from multiple files at multiple location

Hi, I have many files scattered in all different folders. I want to replace the text within all the files using a single command ( awk, sed...) Is it possible? example find all the files in which there is text "memory" and replace it with "branded_memories". the files can be at the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep multiple strings in multiple files using single command

Hi, I will use below command for grep single string ("osuser" is search string) ex: find . -type f | xarg grep -il osuser but i have one more string "v$session" here i want to grep in which file these two strings are present. any help is appreciated, Thanks in advance. Gagan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gagan4599
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk for lines between two strings multiple times and keep the last one

Hi, I am trying to get lines between the last occurrences of two patterns. I have files that have several occurrences of “Standard” and “Visual”. I will like to get the lines between “Standard” and “Visual” but I only want to retain only the last one e.g. Standard Some words Some words Some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: damanidada
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two strings multiple occurencies (with sed, awk, or grep)

Hello, I can extract lines in a file, between two strings but only one time. If there are multiple occurencies, my command show only one block. Example, monfichier.txt contains : debut_sect texte L1 texte L2 texte L3 texte L4 fin_sect donnees inutiles 1 donnees inutiles 2 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: theclem35
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search & Replace: Multiple Strings / Multiple Files

I have a list of files all over a file system e.g. /home/1/foo/bar.x /www/sites/moose/foo.txtI'm looking for strings in these files and want to replace each occurrence with a replacement string, e.g. if I find: '#@!^\&@ in any of the files I want to replace it with: 655#@11, etc. There... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple strings in multiple files

Hi, every one! I have a file with multiple strings. file1 ATQRGNE ASQGVKFTE ASSQYRDRGGLET SPEQGARSDE ASSRDFTDT ASSYSGGYE ASSYTRLWNTGE ASQGHNTD PSLGGGNQPQH SLDRDSYNEQF I want to grep each string in hundreds of files in the same directory, further, I want to find out the string... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing matched patterns in multiple files with awk

Hello all, I have since given up trying to figure this out and used sed instead, but I am trying to understand awk and was wondering how someone might do this in awk. I am trying to match on the first field of a specific file with the first field on multiple files, and append the second field... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlmalowned
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep strings on multiple files and output to multiple files

Hi All, I want to use egrep on multiple files and the results should be output to multiple files. I am using the below code in my shell script(working in Ksh shell). However with this code I am not attaining the desired results. #!/bin/ksh ( a="/path/file1" b="path/file2" for file in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: am24
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed parser behaving strange on replacing multiple words in multiple files

I have 4000 files like $cat clus_grp_seq10_g.phy 18 1002 anig_OJJ65951_1 ATGGTTTCGCAGCGTGATAGAGAATTGTTTAGGGATGATATTCGCTCGCGAGGAACGAAGCTCAATGCTGCCGAGCGCGAGAGTCTGCTAAGGCCATATCTGCCAGATCCGTCTGACCTTCCACGCAGGCCACTTCAGCGGCGCAAGAAGGTTCCTCG aver_OOF92921_1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sammy777888
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with search and replacing multiple items in multiple files

Im having an issue when trying to replace the first column with a new set of values in multiple files. The results from the following code only replaces the files with the last set of values in val.txt. I want to replace all the files with all the values. for date in {1..31} do for val in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)