Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replace based on an exact position Post 302447750 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 24th of August 2010 07:11:32 AM
Old 08-24-2010
Code:
sed 's/./xxx/237;s/./xxx/157;s/./xxx/106' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace exact word with blank

i have a file with the below content file1.txt ALERTADMIN.FIELD ALERTADMIN.TX_ALERTS_LOG i have another file file2 ALERTADMIN.FIELD ALERTADMIN.FIELD_WS ALERTADMIN.SECTION_FIELD_WS ALERTADMIN.TX_ACCT_PROCESSING_WORK_TABLE ALERTADMIN.TX_ACCT_REVIEW_EXEC_METRICS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lavnayas
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace strings based on position and length?

Suppose i have a file which contains thousands of records. e.g adjgmptjadmwpgjmwmd i need to replace the string from 3rd to 8th position using awk script in entire file. And also the positions will be passed as parameter. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent help needed !!!....to replace a exact string

Hi experts, As i am a novice unix player...so need help for the below query...banged my head from quite a while...:confused: i have a set of html files, in which i need to search for string "Page"(case sensitive) and then replace the same with some numeric code ,say, "XXX1234". Here in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulfhp
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exact Search and Replace using AWK

Hello. I have written the following script to search and replace from one file into another. #awk script to search and replace from file a in file b NR == FNR { A=$2; next } { for( a in A ) sub(a, A)}1 file2 file1 While the function works pretty well, I want a. The word in File 2 to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace exact string

Hello Everyone, Im trying to run a search and replace of exact strings and the strings that im using variables that are passed through an array in a while loop. Here is a snip of my code: USEROLD=`cat oldusers` USERNEW=`cat newusers` USEROLDARRAY=( $USEROLD ) USERNEWARRAY=( $USERNEW )... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skizim
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exact Text Replace

I am currently working with a bash script to change some names around in 3 files. I am attempting to do this with sed but I haven't been able to get it so it won't replace partial matches. Below is an example of the files I am trying to edit. My main goal is to replace foo with test, but I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Takau
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

QUESTION1: grep only exact string. QUESTION2: find and replace only exact value with sed

QUESTION1: How do you grep only an exact string. I am using Solaris10 and do not have any GNU products installed. Contents of car.txt CAR1_KEY0 CAR1_KEY1 CAR2_KEY0 CAR2_KEY1 CAR1_KEY10 CURRENT COMMAND LINE: WHERE VARIABLE CAR_NUMBER=1 AND KEY_NUMBER=1 grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace exact word by perl

my inputfile: This is a test and only a test for production - prod. echo "This is a test and only a test for production - prod" | perl -pi -e 's/prod/test/g' outputfile: This is a test and only a test for testuction - test I only want to replace prod, not production. I also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: loktamann
3 Replies
DXmCSTextReplace(3X)													      DXmCSTextReplace(3X)

NAME
DXmCSTextReplace - Replaces a specified segment of text in a compound string text widget. SYNOPSIS
DXmCSTextStatus DXmCSTextReplace( Widget widget, int from_pos, int to_pos, XmString value ); PARAMETERS
The identifier (widget ID) of the compound string text widget. An integer that represents the first character position of the text being replaced. An integer that represents the last character position of the text being replaced. Replacement text for part of the current text in the compound string text widget, or additional text to be inserted into the compound string text widget. DESCRIPTION
The DXmCSTextReplace routine replaces part of the text in the compound string text widget. Within the widget, positions are numbered starting at 0 and increasing sequentially. For example, to replace the second and third characters in the text, from_pos should be 1 and to_pos should be 3. To insert text after the fourth character, from_pos and to_pos should both be 4. RETURN VALUES
A value that represents the status (success or failure) of the replace operation, as follows: -------------------------------------------------------- Value Description -------------------------------------------------------- DXmCSTextStatusEditDone Text replaced successfully. DXmCSTextStatusEditError Text not replaced (failure). -------------------------------------------------------- SEE ALSO
DXmCreateCSText(3X), DXmCSTextSetString(3X), DXmCSTextGetString(3X) DXmCSTextReplace(3X)