Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find the middle character from a string using sed Post 302447406 by kurumi on Monday 23rd of August 2010 05:24:34 AM
Old 08-23-2010
Code:
s="qwertmonyuiop"
echo ${s:((${#s}/2)):1}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem to add the string(without sed & awk) into the middle of file

Hi, I have tried many times to add the string into the first line of the file or the middle of the file but could not find the solution. I first tried by $echo "paki" >> file This code only append paki string at the end of file "file" but how can i add this "paki" into the first line or... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali hussain
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace first character of string sed

I want to change the first/or any character of a string to upper-case: String: test Desired results: Test or tEst or teSt or tesT thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace character in a string

Hi all, My problem is the following: I've a script that must list all files in a directory and write this information in a text file. I've tried to get the list through ls command and then write it using msgecho msgecho "`ls $PATH_APS_JOB_ORA`" This works good but the created string... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: callimaco0082
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find a character immediately following a specified String

Hello, I have a UNIX file in which data is like this -- ISA*00* *00* *01*006415160 *01*137361242 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Observer
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find index of last occurence of a character within a string

I need to find the index of last '|' (highlighted in bold) in awk : |ifOraDatabase.Lastservererr<>0then|iferr_flag<>0then|end if Please suggest a way... Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in a file and append character

Hi Experts, Is there a way to find a string in a file then append a character to that string then save the file or save to another file. Here is an example. >cat test.txt NULL NULL NULL 9,800.00 NULL 1,234,567.01 I want to find all NON NULL String and add a dollar sign to those... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find last occurrence of a character in a string

Hello how to find last occurence of a string for example in the following I want last occurence of '-' i.e. position 12 str="aa-bbb-cccc-ddd-ee" my pupose is to get the string 'ee' Thanks and Regards Chetanz (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chetanz
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find nth position of character in string

Hi guyz i want to know nth position of character in string. For ex. var="UK,TK,HK,IND,AUS" now if we see 1st occurance of , is at 3 position, 2nd at 6,..4th at 13 position. 1st position we can find through INDEX, but what about 2nd,3rd and 4th or may be upto nth position. ? In oracle we had... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonty Immortal
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)