Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK: Remove spaces before processing each line? Post 302447365 by guruprasadpr on Monday 23rd of August 2010 12:14:35 AM
Old 08-23-2010
Hi

Code:
awk -F: ' / *date/ {gsub(" ","",$2);print $2; } '  file

Guru.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove leading spaces from a line

Hi friends I need some help, I have a file which looks as follows TEMP 014637065 014637065 517502 517502 RTE 517502 517502 RTE AWATER_TEST 12325 23563 588323 2323 5656 32385 23235635 ANOTHER_TEST 12 5433 FTHH 5653 833 TEST 123 123 3235 5353 353 53 35 353 535 3 YTERS GJK JKLS ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijojoseph
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove extra spaces in a line

Hi, I need a help in deleting extra spaces in a text. I have a huge file, a part of it is :- 3 09/21/08 03:32:07 started undef mino Oracle nmx004.wwdc.numonyx.com Message Text : The Oracle session with the PID 1103 has a CPU time ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas027
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing spaces from a line

I want to remove the trailing spaces from any line of file. line ending does not follow any pattern. plz help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file inside awk and processing line by line

Hi Sorry to multipost. I am opening the new thread because the earlier threads head was misleading to my current doubt. and i am stuck. list=`cat /u/Test/programs`; psg "ServTest" | awk -v listawk=$list '{ cmd_name=($5 ~ /^/)? $9:$8 for(pgmname in listawk) ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anteus
6 Replies

5. Programming

awk processing / Shell Script Processing to remove columns text file

Hello, I extracted a list of files in a directory with the command ls . However this is not my computer, so the ls functionality has been revamped so that it gives the filesizes in front like this : This is the output of ls command : I stored the output in a file filelist 1.1M... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram
5 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

To remove the extra spaces at the end of each line in a file

I have a file of about 10k records and eace line is having an extra space of 5 byte at the end.. Iwant to remove the extra spaces at the end of each line.. Can someone please help me out.. I tried using sed command and its not working... can someone please help me out. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rammohan
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Processing: Handling spaces in a line

Hi All, Iam trying to get a file processed and some lines have spaces...the below is not working Want to remove empty line Want to remove lines that start with # Avoid line with substring WHOA When trying to get the substring from the var also Iam having trouble file is like VAR=VALUE,... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove spaces on a line?

Hi, suppose I have the following data: albert music=top40 age=20 bob music=punk rock age=25 candy music=r n b age=22 dave music=mozart or bach only age=30 I want to extract and manipulate the music column but it's got spaces in it. How can I substitute the space with an underscore... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: almonds
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to remove spaces from middle of the line

Hi, I need to correct href portion of the lines to edit out spaces from the line starting with position "<a href=" and ending at "target=" Below are 2 examples of extra space added by the server: <td width=251 colspan=9 rowspan=22> <font size=2 face="courier"><tt><style>{font:7pt Courier ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: friedmi
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove line breaks and extra spaces

Hi, I want to remove all extra spaces, line breaks . Need a new line entry only for term starting"array" For eg: my input is array(), array(), array(), and my expected output is array(), array(), array(), Is it possible using awk? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsi.245
5 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)