Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting if/else comparison with wildcard Post 302447088 by zerofire123 on Friday 20th of August 2010 11:34:34 PM
Old 08-21-2010
if/else comparison with wildcard

This might be a simple answer but I can't for my life figure it out. If I input "bat", how do I get the condition to pick it up with the wild card *at*.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

read -p "enter" BOO

if [ $BOO = '*at*' ]; then
        echo "you win"
else
        echo "you lose"
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcard

what will the cmd below do? ls *.3 1 members mentions that to seek all permutations and combinations of the mp3 extension ill have to use curly braces, {} and not, . what then will do? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard comparison

Just a quick question: if I want to do a comparison with a wildcard in a shell script, do i just use '*'? Heres what I have: elif ; then continue but that doesnt evaluate right. It tries to compare against the literal '/apps*' instead of anything that begins with '/apps' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdudejr
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard

Hi, I have this code to search all "cif" files using wildcard for file in *.cif do grep "Uiso" $file | awk '{ print $3, $4, $5 }' > tet done I get this error "grep: *.cif: No such file or directory" Please where am I going wrong!!! Thank you in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: princessotes
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wildcard help

Can someone please explain the wildcards in this. How is this recursive? When I put this in my terminal it recursively displayed everything. ls .* * (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use wildcard * in if?

Hi, Can anyone help me how to use * in if statement. File contains below line1:a|b|c|Apple-RED| line2:c|d|e|Apple-Green| line3:f|g|h|Orange| I need to find line by line 4th field contains 'Apple' or not. Please help me at the earliest. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_prasanna
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcard help!!

i have got heaps of files (.pdf, .txt and .doc) files in one folder, i am making a program in PERL that helps me find the files i want easier using shell wildcard, something like this!! print "Enter a pattern: (must be in )"; $input = <STDIN>; if (The input is in and valid wildcard... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bshell_1214
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Wildcard

Hello, I apologize for asking what is probably a simple question but I have been unable to understand the other posts on the topic. I have a file that has the following several lines: ABC DEF GH:IJKLMNOP_QRS_TUV_11112012_ABCL5 ABC DEF GH:IJKLMNOP_QRS_TUV_11112013_ABCL4 ABC DEF... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MolecularToast
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wildcard in ls

Hi Experts, I want to use ls in the below form: ls -l *.{txt,TXT} (working fine) but when i am declaring a variable, VAR="*.{txt,TXT}" ls -l $VAR is not working. Please help. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sugarcane
4 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Help with wildcard

CD_numb is AM017 this code: set the_Firstcom_CD to (do shell script "ls -d '/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/' ") & CD_numb gives me this: "/volumes/audioNAS/Firstcom/Access Music/AM017" the item I am looking for is AM017Q. I can get the "*" syntax right so it never finder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbrady
7 Replies
PS2PDF(1)							    Ghostscript 							 PS2PDF(1)

NAME
ps2pdf - Convert PostScript to PDF using ghostscript ps2pdf12 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.2 (Acrobat 3-and-later compatible) using ghostscript ps2pdf13 - Convert PostScript to PDF 1.3 (Acrobat 4-and-later compatible) using ghostscript SYNOPSIS
ps2pdf [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] ps2pdf12 [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] ps2pdf13 [options...] {input.[e]ps|-} [output.pdf|-] DESCRIPTION
The ps2pdf scripts are work-alikes for nearly all the functionality (but not the user interface) of Adobe's Acrobat(TM) Distiller(TM) prod- uct: they convert PostScript files to Portable Document Format (PDF) files. If the output filename is not specified, the output is placed is a file of the same name with a '.pdf' extension. Either the input filename or the output filename can be '-' to request reading from stdin or writing to stdout, respectively, when used as a filter. The three scripts differ as follows: - ps2pdf12 will always produce PDF 1.2 output (Acrobat 3-and-later compatible). - ps2pdf13 will always produce PDF 1.3 output (Acrobat 4-and-later compatible). - ps2pdf per se currently produces PDF 1.4 output. However, this may change in the future. If you care about the compatibility level of the output, use ps2pdf12 or ps2pdf13, or use the -dCompatibility=1.x switch in the command line. There are some limitations in ps2pdf's conversion. See the HTML documentation for more information. A large number of Adobe Distiller(TM) parameters which can be used to control the conversion are also documented there, including instructions for generating PDF/X and PDF/A documents. OPTIONS
The ps2pdf scripts use the same options as gs(1). EXAMPLES
Converting a figure.ps to figure.pdf: ps2pdf figure.ps A conversion with more specifics: ps2pdf -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress figure.ps proof.pdf Converting as part of a pipe: make_report.pl -t ps | ps2pdf -dCompatibility=1.3 - - | lpr SEE ALSO
gs(1), ps2pdfwr(1), Ps2pdf.htm in the Ghostscript documentation BUGS
See http://bugs.ghostscript.com/ and the Usenet news group comp.lang.postscript. VERSION
This document was last revised for Ghostscript version 8.70. AUTHOR
Artifex Software, Inc. are the primary maintainers of Ghostscript. This manpage by George Ferguson. 8.70 31 July 2009 PS2PDF(1)