Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat CLI for serial number or tag for BIOS Post 302446462 by epriya2003 on Wednesday 18th of August 2010 08:51:35 PM
Old 08-18-2010
CLI for serial number or tag for BIOS

what file or command can be used to get information that can represent unique ID for BIOS installed, it could be serial number or some tag.

I used "/usr/sbin/dmidecode | egrep -i 'BIOS Information' -A 20" command, it shows some information about BIOS but not some information that can be used as ID.

I tried using command "vpddecode" but it does not give required output on linux boxes:

# vpddecode
# vpddecode 2.9
# No VPD structure found, sorry.

Last edited by epriya2003; 08-18-2010 at 10:41 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tape Serial Number

Hello Experts, I've got a shell script that makes the backup of the files that i want. I also have this script showing the amount of files backed up and in witch folders they are. It's only missing one thing. I got all the information beeing stored in a text file and all i've got to do is to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jorge.ferreira
6 Replies

2. AIX

how to find serial number

hi how to find ( server machine )serial number throught the command in AIX thanks for your replay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chomca
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Display Serial Number

Hello, I am running Solaris 9 and I need to display the serial number of my machine. How can I do this? Here is my machine info: SunOS birch 5.9 Generic_118558-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240 Thank you, David (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkranes
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Serial number

Hi Solarizer ;) I have face the difficulties of gathering information about the serial number of sun machine. i think its can do so easy while the machine is just one or two. But i have to administrate hundreds of sun machine. Any body knows how to gather this information by the command ? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpx99
4 Replies

5. Linux

Device serial number

Hey! I'm trying to figure out a sollution for a problem I have at my company with an Iomega MiniMax 500 GB USB disk. If i run cat /proc/bus/usb/devices I get this information: T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=04 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 5 Spd=480 MxCh= 0 D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Anyone know how to get Serial number with 1 command?

Solaris8 Anyone help? (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
27 Replies

7. Solaris

BIOS Serial Number on Sun Fire V240

Hi, I want to know if there is a command available for obtaining the BIOS Serial Number on a Sun Fire V240 machine? Or is it a known issue that it cannot be obtained through any command? Thanks, Vineet (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vineetd
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of lines between two tag

Hi I have a big xml file of having many data </Data> </Node> <Node> List <abc>3932590983 3396003964 3355713230</abc> </Data> </Node> </Data> </Node> <abc>3932590983 3396003964</abc>I want to count the lines present betweem tag starting with abc and ending with abc so o/p will be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help about bind serial number

Hello folks. Please let me understand the bind serial number. I am confuse. 13011321 ---------- Post updated at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:55 AM ---------- Thanks problem is solved. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learnbash
1 Replies
VPDDECODE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      VPDDECODE(8)

NAME
vpddecode - VPD structure decoder SYNOPSIS
vpddecode [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
vpddecode prints the "vital product data" information that can be found in almost all IBM and Lenovo computers. Available items are: o BIOS Build ID o Box Serial Number o Motherboard Serial Number o Machine Type/Model Some systems have these additional items: o BIOS Release Date o Default Flash Image File Name Note that these additional items are not documented by IBM, so this is guess work, and as such should not be blindly trusted. Feedback about the accuracy of these labels is welcome. OPTIONS
-d, --dev-mem FILE Read memory from device FILE (default: /dev/mem) -s, --string KEYWORD Only display the value of the VPD string identified by KEYWORD. KEYWORD must be a keyword from the following list: bios-build-id, box-serial-number, motherboard-serial-number, machine-type-model, bios-release-date. Each keyword corresponds to an offset and a length within the VPD record. Not all strings may be defined on all VPD-enabled systems. If KEYWORD is not provided or not valid, a list of all valid keywords is printed and vpddecode exits with an error. This option cannot be used more than once. Mutually exclusive with --dump. -u, --dump Do not decode the VPD records, dump their contents as hexadecimal instead. Note that this is still a text output, no binary data will be thrown upon you. ASCII equivalent is displayed when possible. This option is mainly useful for debugging. Mutually exclu- sive with --string. -h, --help Display usage information and exit -V, --version Display the version and exit FILES
/dev/mem AUTHOR
Jean Delvare SEE ALSO
biosdecode(8), dmidecode(8), mem(4), ownership(8) dmidecode February 2007 VPDDECODE(8)