Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Set host default gateway in C program. Post 302446007 by Corona688 on Tuesday 17th of August 2010 11:16:28 AM
Old 08-17-2010
Usually, even in C, you'd just use the commandline tools. This will make for a much more portable program. Otherwise, the ioctl's will vary wildly across systems. I'm not sure it even uses ioctl to do so in linux at all, for that matter -- it might be netlink these days, which is a lot more impenetrable.

Suppose you have IP 192.168.1.2, mask 255.255.255.0, DNS server 192.168.1.1, gateway 192.168.1.1. You can change the IP and netmask of an interface with the ifconfig tool, like so:

Code:
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 ip 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

You can alter DNS parameters by managing the list of hosts in /etc/resolv.conf .
Code:
echo nameserver 192.168.1.1 > /etc/resolv.conf

And gateways are done through the route command.
Code:
/sbin/route add default gateway 192.168.1.1 eth0

If you really insist on doing it with ioctl, try runing strace ifconfig eth0 ip 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 to see what raw ioctl it uses; that's how I found things like the serial port ioctls...

Last edited by Corona688; 08-17-2010 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: fixed mutation

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to end a host concurrent program in WARNING?

Hi, I want to end a host (shell script based) concurrent program in WARNING. Is it possible? Tried out a few things but it just either ends in NORMAL or ERROR. :confused: Any ideas/inputs would be appreciated. Thanks, coolblue_3 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolblue_3
2 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

set mysql password with host parameter

hi, linux gurus... i'm trying to write a script in ksh called ResetPass that allows a user to change mysql passwords. the script accepts user, password and host like this: ResetPass <user> <password> <host>. here's the code: ***************************************************** mysql... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ankimo
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill shell script when host program not running/disk unmounted

I have my Mac OS X program executing a shell script (a script that copies files to a drive). I want to make it so that the shell script automatically kills itself if it finds that the host .app is not running OR kill itself if the drive that it is copying files to has been unmounted. Right now what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
2 Replies

4. Programming

How to read max stack size -Xss that is set/default for a java program?

I need to know what is the maximum stack size i.e. -Xss my java program is running with. Is there a way to find that out from inside my java program code and outside of it. What i am looking for is to read whatever the current set max limit -Xss (stack sie) is for a particular JVM(not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to set gateway address to a particular interface?

How to set gateway address to a particular interface? waht are the files need to update to make it permanent? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set variable to path that does not exist on local host

Can anyone suggest a workaround zone_5.org='/qaz/qwe/path/tns.osn' output /home/bingo/XXX_script.sh: line 180: zone_5.org=/qaz/qwe/path/tns.osn: no parent The path does not exist on the local machine, the allocation used to work till the server was upgraded. Red Hat Enterprise Linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: squrcles
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Create an unconfigured VMware host from a template that is set to do firstboot --reconfig

I have an Oracle Linux 7.1 vsphere host built. It's be preconfigured with our security configurations. What I would like to do is unconfigure this host. Then set the host to do firstboot --reconfigure. how do I do that using /etc/sysconfig/firstboot? I've tried setting ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: os2mac
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to end a host concurrent program in WARNING status?

Hi All, I have a requirement to make a oracle concurrent program end with warning based on a given condition. If the condition is true, the concurrent program should end with completed warning status. The host program I am using is a shell script that checks if a file exists. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: megha2525
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Set new gateway for route to internet

Hi all, i have a rhel 6.2 with a default gateway. This server is an Intranet office with no internet access. DNS are already configured and it's possible to resolve my target. My goal is to link my application (apache forward) only to http://mytarget.yyy through a new gateway (That does... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamose
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Inconsistency between RedHat 6.5 global gateway and single gateway leads to loss of default gateway

Dear friends I use RedHat 6.5, which sets the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.26, and the gateway in the configuration file / etc / sysconfig / network-scripts / ifcfg-eth11 as GATEWAY = 192.168.1.256. The two gateways are different.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tanpeng
6 Replies
ypset(1M)																 ypset(1M)

NAME
ypset - bind to particular Network Information Service server SYNOPSIS
host] domain] server Remarks The Network Information Service (NIS) was formerly known as Yellow Pages (YP). Although the name has changed, the functionality of the service remains the same. DESCRIPTION
tells to get Network Information Service (NIS) services for the specified domain from the process running on server (see ypserv(1M) and ypbind(1M)). server is the NIS server that the NIS client binds to, and is specified as either a host name or an IP address. If server is down or is not running this is not discovered until a local NIS client process tries to obtain a binding for the domain. The daemon then tests the binding set by If the binding cannot be made to the requested server, attempts to rebind to another server in the same domain present in the ypservers file. NOTE: In order to run must be initiated with the or options. For more information on how to initiate see ypbind(1M). The command is useful for binding a client node that is not on a broadcast network. If a client node exists on a broadcast network which has no NIS server running, and if there is a network with one running that is available via a gateway, can establish a binding through that gateway. It is also useful for debugging NIS client applications such as when a NIS map exists only at a single NIS server. In cases where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, it is possible for to rebind to another host, even while you attempt to find out if the operation succeeded. For example, typing followed by and receiving the reply may be confusing. It could occur when host1 does not respond to because its process is not running or is overloaded, and host2, running gets the binding. The server is the NIS server to bind to, specified as either a host name or an IP address. Refer to ypfiles(4) and ypserv(1M) for an overview of the Network Information Service. Options recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Bind server for the Version 2 NIS protocol. Set the binding on host instead of locally. host can be specified as a host name or an IP address. Use domain instead of the default domain returned by (see domainname(1)). DIAGNOSTICS
The user is not root, or ypbind was run without the flags. See ypserv(1M) for explanations of the flags. The user is not root, or ypbind was run without one of the flags. See ypserv(1M) for explanations of the flags. WARNINGS
Starting with ONCplus version B.11.31.02, the NIS Version 1 protocol is no longer available. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
domainname(1), ypwhich(1), ypserv(1M), ypfiles(4). ypset(1M)