Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: primary group for user
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu primary group for user Post 302442346 by choyb on Wednesday 4th of August 2010 04:05:05 AM
Old 08-04-2010
id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User Group

I can't get a clear answer on this one... I have a Oracle user created in group 'dba' when this user touches a file the group displayed is 'sys' - why? The 'sys' group is not included in the list of secondary groups for this user. Is this standard to Oracle on Unix? (AIX) Anybody? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: errolg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user/group

Hi! Herez the scenario 1. logged in as user xxxx $ id uid=125(xxxx) gid=101(my_grp) groups=0(system),15(users),16(sysadmin),19(adm),110(appl) $ touch test $ ls -la test -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxx system 0 Mar 7 14:31 test Why is the group of the file test 'system' and not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdharmap
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find All Primary and Secondary Group ID's for a user

Is there any command which can list me all the Group ID's (Primary, Secondary ) assocaited with a single user. Thanks Sanjay (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change a users primary group after login

When users login, they are directed to menu (aix script). The menu enables the user to choose an environment to work in. Each environment has a different group id. When a user chooses a menu option, I want to change his primary group to that specific environment's group id. Is this at all possible... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrym
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List ALL users in a Unix Group (Primary and Secondary)

Is there a command or better combination of cmds that will give me the list of Unix users in a particular Unix group whether their primary group is that group in question (information stored in /etc/passwd) or they are in a secondary group (information stored in /etc/group). So far all I got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to list primary group of users

Dear All I am facing a problem with my script. I have to found the primary group of users . So first I selected all the groups and users register from a specific user : ONE Then I am making a file with all groups attached to the user : ONE Then I am making a file with all... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
8 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

9. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Primary group

Is it possible user without a primary group (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lobsang
3 Replies
GROUPDEL(8)						    System Management Commands						       GROUPDEL(8)

NAME
groupdel - delete a group SYNOPSIS
groupdel [options] GROUP DESCRIPTION
The groupdel command modifies the system account files, deleting all entries that refer to GROUP. The named group must exist. OPTIONS
The options which apply to the groupdel command are: -h, --help Display help message and exit. -R, --root CHROOT_DIR Apply changes in the CHROOT_DIR directory and use the configuration files from the CHROOT_DIR directory. CAVEATS
You may not remove the primary group of any existing user. You must remove the user before you remove the group. You should manually check all file systems to ensure that no files remain owned by this group. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: MAX_MEMBERS_PER_GROUP (number) Maximum members per group entry. When the maximum is reached, a new group entry (line) is started in /etc/group (with the same name, same password, and same GID). The default value is 0, meaning that there are no limits in the number of members in a group. This feature (split group) permits to limit the length of lines in the group file. This is useful to make sure that lines for NIS groups are not larger than 1024 characters. If you need to enforce such limit, you can use 25. Note: split groups may not be supported by all tools (even in the Shadow toolsuite). You should not use this variable unless you really need it. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. EXIT VALUES
The groupdel command exits with the following values: 0 success 2 invalid command syntax 6 specified group doesn't exist 8 can't remove user's primary group 10 can't update group file SEE ALSO
chfn(1), chsh(1), passwd(1), gpasswd(8), groupadd(8), groupmod(8), useradd(8), userdel(8), usermod(8). shadow-utils 4.1.5.1 05/25/2012 GROUPDEL(8)