Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting changing a variable length text to a fixed length Post 302442060 by Scott on Tuesday 3rd of August 2010 07:37:49 AM
Old 08-03-2010
Hi.

I don't see this. Can you post an example input that shows this behaviour?

Thanks.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a fixed length output from a variable length input

Is there a command that sets a variable length? I have a input of a variable length field but my output for that field needs to be set to 32 char. Is there such a command? I am on a sun box running ksh Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: r1500
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert XML file into Text file(fixed length)

If someone out there could help me out with this problem. I would really appreciate it. I am trying to convert xml into text file(fixed length) using Unix Borne shell scripts. My xml file: <root> <header_rec recordtype="00"> <record_id>00</record_id> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram2s2001
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Two fixed width columns to a variable length file

Hi, I have two files. File1: File1 contains two fixed width columns ID of 15 characters length and Name is of 100 characters length. ID Name 1-43<<11 spaces>>Swapna<<94 spaces>> 1-234<<10 spaces>>Mani<<96 spaces>> 1-3456<<9 spaces>>Kapil<<95 spaces>> File2: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing column of variable length anf fixed width file

Hi, I have two input files. File1: ID Name Place 1-234~name1~Newyork 1-34~name2~Boston 1-2345~name3~Hungary File1 is a variable length file where each column is seperated by delimitter "~". File2: ID Country 1-34<<11 SPACES>>USA<<7 spaces>> 1-234<<10 SPACES>>UK<<8... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What the command to find out the record length of a fixed length file?

I want to find out the record length of a fixed length file? I forgot the command. Any body know? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tranq01
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make variable length record a fixed length

Very, very new to unix scripting and have a unique situation. I have a file of records that contain 3 records types: (H)eader Records (D)etail Records (T)railer Records The Detail records are 82 bytes in length which is perfect. The Header and Trailer records sometimes are 82 bytes in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jclanc8
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

fixed length text file padding issues in AIX

Hi, I have a fixed length text file that needs to be cut into individual files in aix and facing padding issues. If I have multiple blank spaces in the file it is just making it one while cutting the files.. Eg:- $ - blank space filename:file.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting fixed length number from a text file

Hi, I have a text file with sample records as CASE ID: 20170218881083 Original presentment record for ARN not found for Re-presentment I want to extract the 23 digit number from this file. I thought of using grep but initially couldn't extract the required number. However, after... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert variable length record to fixed length

Hi Team, I have an issue to split the file which is having special chracter(German Char) using awk command. I have a different length records in a file. I am separating the files based on the length using awk command. The command is working fine if the record is not having any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthuvan
7 Replies
post(3MENU)															       post(3MENU)

NAME
post - write or erase menus from associated subwindows SYNOPSIS
#include <menu.h> int post_menu(MENU *menu); int unpost_menu(MENU *menu); DESCRIPTION
The function post_menu displays a menu to its associated subwindow. To trigger physical display of the subwindow, use refresh or some equivalent curses routine (the implicit doupdate triggered by an curses input request will do). post_menu resets the selection status of all items. The function unpost_menu erases menu from its associated subwindow. RETURN VALUE
These routines return one of the following: E_OK The routine succeeded. E_SYSTEM_ERROR System error occurred (see errno). E_BAD_ARGUMENT Routine detected an incorrect or out-of-range argument. E_POSTED The menu has already been posted. E_BAD_STATE Routine was called from an initialization or termination function. E_NO_ROOM Menu is too large for its window. You should consider to use set_menu_format() to solve the problem. E_NOT_POSTED The menu has not been posted. E_NOT_CONNECTED No items are connected to the menu. SEE ALSO
ncurses(3NCURSES), menu(3MENU). NOTES
The header file <menu.h> automatically includes the header file <curses.h>. PORTABILITY
These routines emulate the System V menu library. They were not supported on Version 7 or BSD versions. AUTHORS
Juergen Pfeifer. Manual pages and adaptation for new curses by Eric S. Raymond. post(3MENU)