Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 ftp connection problem (connection refused, connection timed out) Post 302441320 by methyl on Friday 30th of July 2010 07:51:17 AM
Old 07-30-2010
A few things to check from the basic to the more obscure.

1) Can you ftp within the server both to localhost and the server name?

ftp localhost
ftp localservername

2) Is the server name and IP address consistent?

Check on every machine:
nslookup servername1
nslookup servername2

3) Are there rogue .netrc files ?

Search each source computer for .netrc files and inspect permissions and contents.

4) FTP can be crippled by certain physical network configuration issues

No network port on the server, switch or hub should be set to auto-detect or auto-negotiate. The mess this can create is very difficult to detect but a common symptom is connections dropping to half-duplex and CRC errors.
A cold start of network components and then servers will often cure these symptoms for a while. A random order cold start (e.g. after a power failure) will often cause these symptoms. Re-patching a network connection is another way of causing these symptoms.

5) FTP does not like the "jumbo packets" setting in any network components and will often hang.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

Connection Timed out problem - EM64T

Hai All, I have problem during HTTP benchmarking with polygraph tool on EM64T machine. Benchmarking results are getting problem bcas of connection timed out system errors. Machine log information is as, /var/log/messages.3:Feb 18 16:17:44 proxy64 network: Bringing up interface eth0: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: muthukumar
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsh problem connection refused

I'm trying to use rsh command to read a variable on a remote machine. I can rlogin with no problem. If I rsh HOST I also get connection like with rlogin. There is no need for passwords. But when I rsh HOST COMMAND it waits 30 seconds then gives me a connection refused error message. Any ideas? ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mace
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Connection refused to ftp from a unix server to a windows pc

I need your help please. In order to run a script after a ftp connection, ive got initially this problem: from unix pc machine to a Unix server i could ftp succesfully but in reverse (i mean from unix to pc machine i cant ftp. The error message is this ftp 192.168.29.90 ftp: connect: Connection... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexcol
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

nc (netcat): Connection refused problem

From my machine (ubuntu), I can do $ nc somemachine 80 But, when I want to connect to other machine that runs nc on different ports, it throws "Connection refused" error. The same error occurs on my local machine. For example, nc -l 5555 nc x.x.x.x 5555 --> this throws "Connection... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinga
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ftp connection refused

Hi- While trying ftp from AIX to Windows im getting below error. Can anyone share ur views on this topic. root@AB101# ftp -n 10.192.168.68 ftp: connect: A remote host refused an attempted connect operation. ftp> Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanis
3 Replies

6. Solaris

ftp connect connection refused solaris 11

hi, I am using solaris 11 , facing problem in ftp while using ftp to connect it from other os. SCP and ssh are working fine. sftp also working from other solaris machine but i want to ftp from windows os which show me the below message. ftp connect connection refused I use below command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeeshan047
3 Replies

7. Debian

ftp connection refused

I have two computers running Debian 6.0 and one running Solaris 2.6 on a private network. The Debian computers can ftp to the Solaris computer but if a Debian computer is the destination the ftp connection is refused. I assume this is some security feature of Debian. What can I do to allow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snorkack59
2 Replies

8. AIX

FTP connection refused from text editor while accessing AIX server .

HI , I'm facing the FTP connection refused from text editor while accessing AIX server .It showing the messege "can't create ftp connection connectin refused".Though it is accessible from putty . i'm using aix version 6 . Can any one let me know the seetings needs to be made so that i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmkganesh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP connection refused

Hi I am trying to execute a shell script which is in unix server gs1. The script is below which basically connects to another unix server q15 and tries to get a file using FTP . But i get error as "ftp: connect: Connection refused Not connected. Not connected." Please help with if the below... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samrat dutta
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP connection refused issue

Hi All, I am using the below script to get some files from the remote location HOST='Test03' USER='root' PASSWD='*****' FILE='/home/user/d.txt' ftp -n $HOST <<END_SCRIPT quote USER $USER quote PASS $PASSWD get $FILE quit END_SCRIPT exit 0 But ist is giving me the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharsour
3 Replies
NETRC(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual							  NETRC(5)

NAME
netrc, .netrc -- user configuration for ftp DESCRIPTION
This file contains configuration and autologin information for the File Transfer Protocol client ftp(1). The .netrc file contains login and initialization information used by the auto-login process. It resides in the user's home directory. The following tokens are recognized; they may be separated by spaces, tabs, or new-lines: machine name Identify a remote machine name. The auto-login process searches the .netrc file for a machine token that matches the remote machine specified on the ftp command line or as an open command argument. Once a match is made, the subsequent .netrc tokens are processed, stopping when the end of file is reached or another machine or a default token is encountered. default This is the same as machine name except that default matches any name. There can be only one default token, and it must be after all machine tokens. This is normally used as: default login anonymous password user@site thereby giving the user automatic anonymous ftp login to machines not specified in .netrc. This can be overridden by using the -n flag to disable auto-login. login name Identify a user on the remote machine. If this token is present, the auto-login process will initiate a login using the specified name. password string Supply a password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires a password as part of the login process. Note that if this token is present in the .netrc file for any user other than anonymous, ftp will abort the auto-login process if the .netrc is readable by anyone besides the user. account string Supply an additional account password. If this token is present, the auto-login process will supply the specified string if the remote server requires an additional account password, or the auto-login process will initiate an ACCT command if it does not. macdef name Define a macro. This token functions like the ftp macdef command functions. A macro is defined with the specified name; its con- tents begin with the next .netrc line and continue until a null line (consecutive new-line characters) is encountered. If a macro named init is defined, it is automatically executed as the last step in the auto-login process. SEE ALSO
ftp(1), ftpd(8) Linux NetKit (0.17) September 23, 1997 Linux NetKit (0.17)