Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Access AIX NFS Share from Windows Server 2008 Post 302440571 by ThePistonDoctor on Tuesday 27th of July 2010 02:40:36 PM
Old 07-27-2010
Thanks again for the help everyone. While I am familiar with Samba and have used it to share a Linux volume to Windows clients before, it would be much more work than to just figure it out with NFS given the setup of the rest of the network and the other systems that access this directory.

That being said, I ran the showmount -e command against the AIX server (from Windows Server 2008 command prompt) and it produced an export list including /usershome (the directory I'm trying to mount on windows) and it says it is available to "all machines."

1. How can I verify that both servers are using TCP or UDP?

2. To your point about firewalls, the servers in question are both in the internal network and not touching the firewall. The windows box has the firewall turned off entirely but the AIX box I know nothing about the firewall. If there's a way to verify it's not being blocked there I'm all ears.

3. One thing that I do see could be causing a problem: The 2008 server is on a different domain than the AIX server. In other words the host name of the 2008 server is 2008server.inside.mycompany where the host name of the AIX server is AIXserver.mycompany.com. We are in a transitional period and will eventually move all systems to a single internal domain name which will be "inside.mycompany" but in the mean time we need to deal with issues that could be caused by the separation.

4. How can I verify that my Windows server can respond to RPC calls from the AIX server? (Sorry, I'm new at this)

Again I appreciate all the help!

Edit: BTW I have root/admin access to all servers if needed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Access windows share from AIX

How in AIX 5.1 can I access a windows shared drive without using NFS. I have looked into cifs but I can not seem to find the package that I need to install for AIX 5.1 if anyone can give me any further direction please let me know. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chefsride
2 Replies

2. AIX

How to share a directory in AIX to access from Solaris and windows?

Hi All, I am basically new to this forum as well as AIX. To share some huge files between 2 servers I thought of creating a shared Directory in my AIX machine to access it in Solaris. I am very new to this AIX. Help me out how can u share a directory in AIX to access (mount) it on Solaris. Hope... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babuchoudary_g
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

can i mount nfs share on windows 2003 server

this is probably a bit dumb ...but i read somewhere that one of the nfs versions can be mounted on a windows 2003 server ..if yes ..does anyone know how this can be achieved (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tarunicon
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIX cifs: mount Windows Server 2008 share ?

Hello, I've been using AIX cifs to mount windows XP shares with no problems till now. Now it's Windows Server 2008 R2 - no go: mount -v cifs -n host1/user1/pass1 /share1 /mountpt1 There was an error connecting the share or the server. Make sure the lsdev command shows that device nsmb0 is in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
6 Replies

5. AIX

AIX to access Windows share

Are there any special requirements/tools needed for a AIX server to see (copy data) a Windows share? Only need 1-way copy (Windows-to-AIX). (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kirkb
8 Replies

6. AIX

AIX cifs mount to Windows Server 2008 R2

Hi i have some problem to mount a Windows Server 2008 R2 share on AIX. I found the artikel 157701-aix-cifs-mount-windows-server-2008-share on the Forum (cant post the Link) witch decribe my situation but there is no solution. I can mount a share to a Windows 2003 SP2 Server but not to 2008 R2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrTee
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Can't access NFS Share on Solaris Server from a Linux Client

Hi, I am trying to access a NFS shared directory on Solaris 10 Server from a client which is RHEL 4 Server. On the NFS Server, in /etc/dfs/, I added following line to dfstab file. & then ran the following On the client machine, while running the mount command, I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunilB2011
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Unable to access NFS share on Solaris Server from Linux client

Hi, I am trying to access a NFS shared directory on Solaris 10 Server from a client which is RHEL 4 Server. On the NFS Server, in /etc/dfs/, I added following line to dfstab file. share -F nfs -o rw /var/share & then ran the following svcadm -v enable -r... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SunilB2011
3 Replies

9. AIX

How can we share a AIX drive on to Windows 2012 server?

Hi, How can we share a AIX drive on to Windows 2012 server. or vise versa. Note: Not using NFS/CIFS/samba. (*we are not able to use samba/NFS/CIFS for some reason) Requirement: How to have real time file sharing over the network between Windows and UNIX Do you guys have any ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 NFS client cannot mount a share from a Windows server

I have a Solaris 10 server, I'm trying to mount a share from a Windows nfs server. If I add this entry (tst-walnut:/test_sap_nfs - /majid nfs - yes rw,soft) to my /etc/vfstab, then I can mount, but when I create a file by root:root, the file owner changes to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
1 Replies
MOUNT.NFS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      MOUNT.NFS(8)

NAME
mount.nfs, mount.nfs4 - mount a Network File System SYNOPSIS
mount.nfs remotetarget dir [-rvVwfnsh ] [-o options] DESCRIPTION
mount.nfs is a part of nfs(5) utilities package, which provides NFS client functionality. mount.nfs is meant to be used by the mount(8) command for mounting NFS shares. This subcommand, however, can also be used as a standalone command with limited functionality. remotetarget is a server share usually in the form of servername:/path/to/share. dir is the directory on which the file system is to be mounted. Under Linux 2.6.32 and later kernel versions, mount.nfs can mount all NFS file system versions. Under earlier Linux kernel versions, mount.nfs4 must be used for mounting NFSv4 file systems while mount.nfs must be used for NFSv3 and v2. OPTIONS
-r Mount file system readonly. -v Be verbose. -V Print version. -w Mount file system read-write. -f Fake mount. Don't actually call the mount system call. -n Do not update /etc/mtab. By default, an entry is created in /etc/mtab for every mounted file system. Use this option to skip making an entry. -s Tolerate sloppy mount options rather than fail. -h Print help message. nfsoptions Refer to nfs(5) or mount(8) manual pages. NOTE
For further information please refer nfs(5) and mount(8) manual pages. FILES
/etc/fstab file system table /etc/mtab table of mounted file systems SEE ALSO
nfs(5), mount(8), AUTHOR
Amit Gud <agud@redhat.com> 5 Jun 2006 MOUNT.NFS(8)