Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Kill -9 not working?
Operating Systems AIX Kill -9 not working? Post 302439410 by Scott on Thursday 22nd of July 2010 12:25:09 PM
Old 07-22-2010
Hi.

This may (or may not!) help you: Defunct Processes

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kill - not working

Hi, I have logged into a Sun Solaris machine( Putty -telnet ) , which got hung. now I need to kill the process - ksh When I tried to kill like : kill -9 <pid of ksh> , it is not giving any error , but the process is not getting killed... Here is what I did $ps -fu shihab ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shihabvk
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

not able to kill find with kill -9

Hello everyone I am using HP Ux and had run a find command. Now I am trying to kill it with kill or kill -9 but it is not getting killed and still running. Any clues ? Thanks Sidhu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amardeep
5 Replies

4. Programming

kill(0,-9) don't kill the process

Hi all i have simple c program , when i wish to kill the app im using kill(0,-9) , but it seams this command don't do any thing and the program. just ignore it . what im doing wrong here ? im using HP-UX ia64 Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logon profile kill script only partially working

I have been having an issue with the new motorola rf scan guns opening up too many sessions at once. It seems they will open a new connection for no reason, leaving the old one in the background and the user has no idea it is happening. To combat this, I have added the following code to the logon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process without using kill command

Sorry, posted the question in other forum. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
0 Replies

7. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill -9 not working

Hi All, I tried killing a bunch of scripts. They seem to have worked because ps -ef | grep -i SCRIPT_NAME is not showing them but the logs are getting populated and jobs in the script are getting done. How do I really kill them or atleast see the process running? Thanks Sumeet (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumeet
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zsh builtin "kill" stopped working

Hi all, I've been using zsh for a while, and was enjoying the builtin "kill" with tab completion. But since I installed "oh-my-zsh" the kill completion has stopped working. I have not edited my new ~/.zshrc file. My ~/.oh-my-zsh/lib/completions.zsh contains the following: zstyle... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nickednamed
0 Replies
KILL(2) 							System Calls Manual							   KILL(2)

NAME
kill - send signal to a process SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <signal.h> int kill(pid_t pid, int sig) DESCRIPTION
Kill sends the signal sig to a process, specified by the process number pid. Sig may be one of the signals specified in sigaction(2), or it may be 0, in which case error checking is performed but no signal is actually sent. This can be used to check the validity of pid. The sending and receiving processes must have the same effective user ID, otherwise this call is restricted to the super-user. If the process number is 0, the signal is sent to all processes in the sender's process group. If the process number is -1 and the user is the super-user, the signal is broadcast universally except to init and the process sending the signal. If the process number is -1 and the user is not the super-user, the signal is broadcast universally to all processes with the same uid as the user except the process sending the signal. No error is returned if any process could be signaled. If the process number is negative but not -1, the signal is sent to all processes whose process group ID is equal to the absolute value of the process number. Processes may send signals to themselves. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, a value of 0 is returned. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
Kill will fail and no signal will be sent if any of the following occur: [EINVAL] Sig is not a valid signal number. [ESRCH] No process can be found corresponding to that specified by pid. [ESRCH] The process id was given as 0 but the sending process does not have a process group. [EPERM] The sending process is not the super-user and its effective user id does not match the effective user-id of the receiving process. When signaling a process group, this error was returned if any members of the group could not be signaled. SEE ALSO
getpid(2), getpgrp(2), sigaction(2), raise(3). 4th Berkeley Distribution May 14, 1986 KILL(2)