Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting For loop in awk, a bug or something else? Post 302439100 by rdcwayx on Wednesday 21st of July 2010 09:39:33 PM
Old 07-21-2010
For loop in awk, a bug or something else?

Seems for loop in awk has bug?

For first awk, i expect to get 4 output: 1.5, 1.4, 1.3, 1.2, but there are only 3.

Code:
$ awk 'BEGIN {for (i=1.5;i>=1.2;i-=0.1) print i}'

$ awk 'BEGIN {for (i=15;i>=12;i-=1) print i}'

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

pick the bug the server enters an infinite loop

here is the server and client side code now there is a bug after which the server enters an infinite loop.the server is designed as an echo server and if it reads /q then the server closes while the client can send messages till /q now after the frst msg when another msg is send infinite loop is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjunjag
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using AWK in a for loop

Hello, I am trying to use AWK to print only the first field of numerous text files, and then overwrite these files. They are of the format 1*2,3,4,5. I have tried the following code (using tcsh): foreach f (file1 file2 file3) cat $f | awk -F'*' '{print $1}' > $f end However, I get very... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahn
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison and editing of files using awk.(And also a possible bug in awk for loop?)

I have two files which I would like to compare and then manipulate in a way. File1: pictures.txt 1.1 1.3 dance.txt 1.2 1.4 treehouse.txt 1.3 1.5 File2: pictures.txt 1.5 ref2313 1.4 ref2345 1.3 ref5432 1.2 ref4244 dance.txt 1.6 ref2342 1.5 ref2352 1.4 ref0695 1.3 ref5738 1.2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk loop

Hi, Gurus, I have a requirement as following: source data: 103,8,25 I want to get 103 8 25 1_8 103 8 25 9_16 103 8 25 17_24 103 8 25 25_32 103 8 25 33_40 103 8 25 41_48 103 8 25 49_56 103 8 25 57_64 103 8 25 65_72 103 8 25 73_80 103 8 25 81_88 103 8 25 89_96 103 8 25 97_104 103 8... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken002
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop and using shell in awk

Hi, everyone! I have a file, when I print its $1 out it show several strings like this: AABBCC AEFJKLFG FALEF FAIWEHF What I want to do is that, after output of each record, search the string in all files in the same folder, print out the record and file name. This is what I want... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xshang
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk for loop

Hi All, i have three files inputfilehello1,my name is unix.com. hello1,I am awesome. Hope you know this,hello2!,wat else hello2! hello1.txtHi Friends Hi Folks Hi Well-Wishers hello2.txtHoney Sweety Darling Expected outputHi Friends,my name is unix.com. Hi Friends,I am awesome. Hope you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Makarand Dodmis
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk programming -Passing variable to awk for loop

Hi All, I am new to AWK programming. I have the following for loop in my awk program. cat printhtml.awk: BEGIN -------- <some code here> END{ ----------<some code here> for(N=0; N<H; N++) { for(M=5; M<D; M++) print "\t" D ""; } ----- } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ctrld
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk within a for loop

Hello, I currently have managed to get an awk function working inside a for loop that allows me to combine two files based on their headings but what I have not been able to do is print the output to files with variable names. awk ' NR==FNR {a=$0; next} /^>/ {$0 = $0" "a;} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allie_gastrator
2 Replies
APSFILTER-BUG(1)					    BSD General Commands Manual 					  APSFILTER-BUG(1)

NAME
apsfilter-bug -- create a half-automatic bug report for apsfilter SYNOPSIS
apsfilter-bug OPTIONS
none DESCRIPTION
With the apsfilter-bug script you can automatically create a bug report for apsfilter(1). A template report file is created which you can edit with your favourite editor ( emacs(1) by default, or whatever is entered in the environment variable EDITOR ). You will see a couple of lines starting with '#'; these lines will be removed before the report is sent. So if you want to use the '#' char- acter at the beginning of a line, just indent it with a space. A very important piece of the bug report is the debugging log created by aps2file(1), probably with a command like aps2file -D -o /dev/null [-P...] [-Z...] [input] 2> log.txt Unless you don't even have a chance to create a debugging log, it is crucial for serious bug hunting. After you have filled in as much (useful) information as possible, you must save the file under its original name, then exit your editor. If you invoked apsfilter-bug by accident, or if you need some additional system information to include into the bug report, just exit your editor without saving the file. NOTES
In addition to the stuff you've edited, some more information is appended to the bug report automatically: apsfilter version 7.2.6-stable ghostscript version (from 'gs --version') system id (from 'uname -a') configure options --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-awk=/usr/bin/awk --with-sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail shell executable /bin/bash awk executable /usr/bin/awk sendmail executable /usr/sbin/sendmail FILES
/usr/bin/aps2file script to create debugging output SEE ALSO
apsfilter(1), aps2file(1) BUGS
See apsfilter software center - http://www.apsfilter.org/ - for new versions, bugfixes and known bugs. Please use the new tool apsfilter-bug(1) to release bug- or problem reports. It automatically presents you a form in an editor window which asks you some standard questions. If you save and quit the editor session, then this report is sent automatically via e-mail to the proper apsfilter mailinglist. If apsfilter fails to print something or prints it in a way you wouldn't expect and you want to report an apsfilter error then please save the debugging output of one print session using the new aps2file(1) utility by typing aps2file -D -Z options file > /dev/null 2> file.debug and including the debugging output in the file file.debug into the edit session of the apsfilter-bug utility, so that it is included into the mail to the apsfilter mailinglist. Please note that you need to run /bin/sh (Bourne Shell), bash or a compatible shell, so that the above mentioned output redirection works. Under C-shell (/bin/csh) or tcsh it would't work. If you don't know, then simply make sure you use the Bournce shell by typing /bin/sh or bash, then you should have no problems with redirection of stdout and stderr (> /dev/null 2> file.debug). DOCUMENTATION
See official apsfilter homepage http://www.apsfilter.org/handbook.html Apsfilter Handbook including the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) USER FORUM
Please send questions to the official apsfilter help channel apsfilter-help@apsfilter.org. The above section BUGS and the file HOWTO-BUGREPORTS tells you how to report bugs. If you want to know how to troubleshoot your apsfilter installation, please read the manpage aps2file(1) and apsfilter-bug(1) as well as the Apsfilter Handbook carefully. HISTORY
The apsfilter-bug manpage has been written by Michael LoBin <phallobst@web.de> and first appeared in apsfilter V 7.1.0. BSD
Dec 26, 2001 BSD