Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Move partition to new disk
Operating Systems Solaris Move partition to new disk Post 302438184 by run_time_error on Monday 19th of July 2010 04:36:27 AM
Old 07-19-2010
Move partition to new disk

Hi,

The disks of my servers are getting full and I need to move the /export/home partition on to a new set of disks. I already have 2 mirrored disks and have added 2 more and mirrored them after creating the filesystem on them.

Do I just need to edit the /etc/vfstab and point the /export/home to use the newly created mirror or are there some other steps that I have to do as well.
OS is Solaris 10.

Thanks in advance,
Br,
RTE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

partition Magic disk

How do I get a partition magic disk or a disk to create a non-DOS partition? :*: c0ldzer0 :*: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c0ldzer0
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disk Partition

Hi All, While my LINUX SERVER installed we didnt' used all the space for partitions. with what tool I can create a new partition or mount point to use the free space. I tried the command fdisk and diskdruid. They are not working. Thanks in advance With Best regards, Varma. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jarkvarma
2 Replies

3. Solaris

New disk - how to partition?

Have a solaris x86 running solaris 9. Root disk - logical - mirrored. I added 2 more disks today - and I have mirrored them using array configuration utility. I did a reconfiguration boot - and now I can see the logical disk using format: I then partitioned this the way I wanted (I hope)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Disk Partition

I have 3 disks to partition in following file system. c1t1d0 = 72gb /prod1 /prod2 /prod3 /prod4 /prod5 I am first time using "format" command to do this. How can i name with specified size. -Adeel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deal732
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

partition disk issue

hi guys, I've got a strange issue, may be one of you has experienced this. SunOS 5.10 Generic_118833-33 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440 everything is mirrored. My issue is that I have a umpty directory but seems to have data on. Let me show you # df -h /data Filesystem size used... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: moustik
10 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition disk

Hi, Can I partition disk in use or would I damage the file store on it? Regards Mehrdad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mehrdad68
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shrink my partition to new disk

I want to backup my partitions by shrinking it my issue is like I want to create a new disk copy from only the used blocks I my current image. How would I redirect the output of resize2fs to new disk and dd the current partition so that I can boot my new image without issues and also without... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amol28kulkarni
3 Replies

8. Red Hat

Disk Partition : Skip 1 MB

I want to skip the first cylinder (first 1 MB infact) while I partition my disk using fdisk as it is required that the disk partition to be used (for Oracle RAC Installation) must skip the first 1Mb to avoid overwriting the disk VTOC. The way I am using is: Command (m for help): n Command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpsingh
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Disk partition slice0

Hi Guys, when performing a disk partition, can any file system other than root be giving to slice 0 or must slice0 hold only root? I am confused about this. Any clarification will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Guys (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to partition your disk?

Hello, I am a new member of the forum. I need an idea on how to partition the disk. My situation is as follows: I have two 3TB disks ognuno.In 6TB total then, but I have to do to force a RAID 1 so my space will be 3TB. I'll have to force install RedHat 5.8 and liquids is to be taken in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joaquin
4 Replies
vgmove(1M)																vgmove(1M)

NAME
vgmove - move data from an old set of disks in a volume group to a new set of disks SYNOPSIS
autobackup] diskmapfile vg_name autobackup] diskfile diskmapfile vg_name DESCRIPTION
The command migrates data from the existing set of disks in a volume group to a new set of disks. After the command completes successfully, the new set of disks will belong to the same volume group. The command is intended to migrate data on a volume group from old storage to new storage. The diskmapfile specifies the list of source disks to move data from, and the list of destination disks to move data to. The user may choose to list only a subset of the existing physical volumes in the volume group that need to be migrated to a new set of disks. The format of the diskmapfile file is shown below: source_pv_1 destination_pv_1_1 destination_pv_1_2 .... source_pv_2 destination_pv_2_1 destination_pv_2_2 .... .... source_pv_n destination_pv_n_1 destination_pv_n_2 .... If a destination disk is not already part of the volume group, it will be added using see vgextend(1M). Upon successful completion of the source disk will be automatically removed from the volume group using see vgreduce(1M). After successful migration, the destination disks are added to the LVM configuration files; namely, or The source disks along with their alternate links are removed from the LVM configuration files. A sample diskmapfile is shown below: /dev/disk/disk1 /dev/disk/disk51 /dev/disk/disk52 /dev/disk/disk2 /dev/disk/disk51 /dev/disk/disk3 /dev/disk/disk53 The diskmapfile can be manually created, or it can be automatically generated using the diskfile and diskmapfile options. The argument diskfile contains a list of destination disks, one per line such as the sample file below: /dev/disk/disk51 /dev/disk/disk52 /dev/disk/disk53 When the option is given, reads a list of destination disks from diskfile, generates the source to destination mapping, and saves it to diskmapfile. The volume group must be activated before running the command. If the command is interrupted before it completes, the volume group is in the same state it was at the beginning of the command. The migration can be continued by running the command with the same options and disk mapping file. Options and Arguments The command recognizes the following options and arguments: vg_name The path name of the volume group. Set automatic backup for this invocation of autobackup can have one of the following values: Automatically back up configuration changes made to the volume group. This is the default. After this command executes, the command is executed for the volume group; see vgcfgbackup(1M). Do not back up configuration changes this time. Specify the name of the file containing the source to destination disk mapping. If the option is also given, will generate the disk mapping and save it to this filename. (Note that if the diskmapfile already exists, the file will be overwritten). Otherwise, will perform the data migration using this diskmapfile. Specify the name of the file containing the list of destination disks. This option is used with the option to generate the diskmapfile. When the option is used, no volume group data is moved. Preview the actions to be taken but do not move any volume group data. Shared Volume Group Considerations For volume group version 1.0 and 2.0, cannot be used if the volume group is activated in shared mode. For volume groups version 2.1 (or higher), can be performed when activated in either shared, exclusive, or standalone mode. Note that the daemon must be running on all the nodes sharing a volume group activated in shared mode. See lvmpud(1M). When a node wants to share the volume group, the user must first execute a if physical volumes were moved in or out of the volume group at the time the volume group was not activated on that node. LVM shared mode is currently only available in Serviceguard clusters. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Move data in volume group from to After the migration, remove from the volume group: Generate a source to destination disk map file for where the destination disks are and SEE ALSO
lvmpud(1M), pvmove(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M), vgcfgrestore(1M), vgextend(1M), vgreduce(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). vgmove(1M)