Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting problem in understanding the output of errpt -d H -T PERM -s `date +"%m%d%H00%y"` Post 302436155 by Sounddappan on Friday 9th of July 2010 10:20:56 AM
Old 07-09-2010
problem in understanding the output of errpt -d H -T PERM -s `date +"%m%d%H00%y"`

Its very critical and 'm in need to schedule this on my crontab so that the output can be monitored by a tool

I have written the command below to redirect the error which has the output redirected to the file gincle_lol.log.

Code:
echo "---" >>/gingle/gincle_lol.log
date >>/gingle/gincle_lol.log
errpt -d H -T PERM -s `date +"%m%d%H00%y"` >>/gingle/gincle_lol.log
echo "--" >>/gingle/gincle_lol.log

I want to know what will be the output, because i have written this command to redirect the output which has hardware Permanent errors from the current time -1

Output
This will give you the output of the errors happened current time -1
Eg: If the job is run @ 6:00 then -1 the output will contain the errors between 5 and 6

Code:
7=> 6-7
8=> 7-8
9=> 8-9
10=>9-10

Note: The job is scheduled every 1 hour

Current me if ‘m wrong…
Please help me on this front... Its critical..Smilie

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Use code tags, ty.

Last edited by zaxxon; 07-09-2010 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Weird problem with output from "date '+3600*%H+60*%M+%S' "

Hi, I came across a script a few months ago that allowed you to use the following script to include the current time into your prompt (useful from auditting purposes): # Set Prompt typeset -RZ2 _x1 _x2 _x3 let SECONDS=$(date '+3600*%H+60*%M+%S')... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: m223464
5 Replies

2. Debian

Debian: doubt in "top" %CPU and "sar" output

Hi All, I am running my application on a dual cpu debian linux 3.0 (2.4.19 kernel). For my application: <sar -U ALL> CPU %user %nice %system %idle ... 10:58:04 0 153.10 0.00 38.76 0.00 10:58:04 1 3.88 0.00 4.26 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

add seconds to: date"|"time"|"HHMMSS

Hey all, I have a shell that invokes a AWK. In this AWK i want invoke a function that receives 3 parameters: date: 20080831 time: 235901 duration: 00023 that function receive this 3 parameters and sum to this value two more seconds: 2008083123590100025 Remember that in case that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaconga
3 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or question of my own) is: Oracle tns listener, "CT_LISTENER", and the enterprise manager (EM) of the instance, which is uniq instance and called... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: talipk
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A question/problem about oracle "tns listener" and "enterprise manager"

hi, I have a problem about the Oracle related components. I'm not able to find any answer yet, and waiting for your responses... Here is the configuration of my system: * an IBM P550 machine, * an AIX 5.3 running on it and * an oracle database, already installed on it. The problem (or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talipk
1 Replies

6. AIX

xx=`date +"%a %b %d"`;rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz ?

AIX 4.2 I am trying to do an rsh grep to search for date records inside server logs by doing this : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz gives : grep: 0652-033 Cannot open Jun. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open 11. But if I do : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` grep "^$XX" zzz it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

"Join" or "Merge" more than 2 files into single output based on common key (column)

Hi All, I have working (Perl) code to combine 2 input files into a single output file using the join function that works to a point, but has the following limitations: 1. I am restrained to 2 input files only. 2. Only the "matched" fields are written out to the "matched" output file and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Katabatic
1 Replies

8. AIX

Problem in understanding the output of errpt -d H -T PERM -s `date +"%m%d%H00%y"`

Its very critical and 'm in need to schedule this on my crontab so that the output can be monitored by a tool I have written the command below to redirect the error which has the output redirected to the file gincle_lol.log. Code: echo "---" >>/gingle/gincle_lol.log date... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sounddappan
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format output from the file to extract "date" section

Hello Team , I have to extract date section from the below file output. The output of the file is as shown below. I have to extract the "" this section from the above output of the file. can anyone please let me know how can we acheive this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Understanding output of "last" command

Hello, Been looking through Google, and I don't see a direct answer to this: # last ... abcd pts/1 srever02 Mon Feb 23 07:56 - 07:56 (00:00) abcd sshd server02 Mon Feb 23 07:56 - 07:56 (00:00) klmn sshd ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kitykitykity
2 Replies
nohup(1)						      General Commands Manual							  nohup(1)

NAME
nohup - Runs a utility ignoring hangups and quits SYNOPSIS
nohup utility [argument...] Note The C shell has a built-in version of the nohup command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the com- mand described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/nohup. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in com- mand. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: nohup: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
None OPERANDS
The name of a command to be invoked. Optional arguments required by the utility specified for invokation. DESCRIPTION
The nohup command runs utility, ignoring all hangups and QUIT signals. You can use this command to run programs in the background after logging off the system. To run a nohup command in the background, add an & (ampersand) to the end of the command. If nohup output is redirected to a terminal or is not redirected at all, the output is appended to the file nohup.out. If the file is cre- ated, the permission bits are set to Owner Read and Owner Write(600). If nohup.out is not writable in the current directory, the output is redirected to $HOME/nohup.out. If neither file can be created nor opened for appending, utility is not invoked. If standard error is a terminal, all output written to standard error is appended to the file receiving standard output. The nohup command accepts just one utility as an argument. To apply nohup to a pipeline or list of commands, enter the pipeline or list in a shell script file. Then run sh as utility using the following format: nohup sh -c file [Tru64 UNIX] You can also assign the shell file execute permission and run it as the utility in the form: nohup file NOTES
The term utility, rather than the term command, describes the argument to nohup because shell compound commands, pipelines, special built- in programs, and the like, cannot be handled directly. In addition, the term utility includes user application programs and shell scripts, not just the standard utilities. EXIT STATUS
The nohup command returns the following exit values: The specified utility was found, but could not be invoked. The error occurred in the nohup utility or the specified utility could not be found. The exit status is otherwise that of the utility. EXAMPLES
To leave a command running after logging out (sh only), enter: nohup find / -print & Shortly after you enter this, the following is displayed: 670 $ Sending output to nohup.out The process ID number changes to the background process started by the & (ampersand), in this case, 670. The $ (dollar sign) is the shell prompt. The message following informs you that the output from the find command is in the file nohup.out. Sending output... You can log out after you see these messages, even if the find command has not finished yet. If you are using csh, the built-in command nohup is executed instead of the system command. To execute the nohup system command, you must enter an absolute path. To do the same, but redirect the standard output to a different file, enter: nohup find / -print >filenames & This runs the find command and stores its output in a file named filenames. Now only the process ID and prompt are displayed. Wait for a second or two before logging out, because the nohup command takes a moment to start the command you specified. If you log out too quickly, utility may not run at all. Once utility has started, logging out does not affect it. To run more than one com- mand, use a shell script. For example, if you include the following shell script: comm -23 fi4 fi5 | comm -23 - fi6 | join -a1 - fi7 > comm.out and name it ncomm, you can run nohup for all of the commands in ncomm by entering: nohup sh ncomm If you assign ncomm Execute permission, you can obtain the same results by issuing the command: nohup ncomm To run this command in the background, enter: nohup ncomm & ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of nohup: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. Determines the search path that will be used to locate the command to be invoked. FILES
Standard output and standard error file for nohup. SEE ALSO
Commands: csh(1), ksh(1), nice(1), Bourne shell sh(1b), POSIX shell sh(1p) Functions: sigaction(2) Standards: standards(5) nohup(1)