Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove Command-Line Option from String Post 302435561 by mattmiller on Wednesday 7th of July 2010 04:24:55 PM
Old 07-07-2010
MySQL Remove Command-Line Option from String

I want to add a "-r <remote_host>" option to my ksh script, causing the script to run a script of the same name on the specified remote host. The remote invocation should itself include all the command-line options of the original invocation, less the -r option.

For example, this invocation:

# the_script -a -b -r the_remote_host -x x_option_value -y arg1 arg2

would execute this:

ssh the_remote_host the_script -a -b -x x_option_value -y arg1 arg2

My problem is removing the "-r <remote_host>" text from $* when bulding the remote invocation. I've tried sed, but I'm not getting it.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

command line option: optarg

Hi I'm learning how to add in programm another option by command line. For example in the "my_prog" i want to add a " -k " option and then write a number. I mean: my_prog -k 50 and the i should use the number 50. I'm reading about getopt_long and optarg, and what i have done in the code... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is a menu or command line option driven script?

i'm confused what this means. i was asked to design a menu or command line option driven script that reads out of a DB and displays info such as read_data.pl -u <user> -e <event> which would print commands run by <user>with the <event> in the db. any suggestions? i've been using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kpddong
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line based on string and put new line with parameter

Hi Folks, I am new to ksh, i have informatica parameter file that i need to update everyday with shell script. i need your help updating this file with new parameters. sample data $$TABLE1_DATE=04-27-2011 $$TABLE2_DATE=04-23-2011 $$TABLE3_DATE=03-19-2011 .......Highligned... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor369
4 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

trouble understanding file option and command line arguments

Hi, I am creating a program with the C language that simulates the WC command in Unix. My program needs to count lines, bytes and words. I have not added the code to count bytes and words yet. I am having trouble understanding what the file option/flag '-' does. I can not visualize how it moves... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heywoodfloyd
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last string from each line

I am trying to write a script that will allow me to recursively look at my directories, and output all filenames to a txt document. I am almost finished, however I am hitting one last snag. Here is my script so far: find . | grep .jpg | awk -F"/" '{print $NF}' > output.txtThis will give me an... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Davinator
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last string from last line in a file

Hi, I have a file like : I want to remove last string in last line (here total string is "05550"~). And last line end with ~ character. Output should be : Please help me Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnmonu
3 Replies

7. Programming

Reading command line arguments and setting up values if option not provided

I have a C++ program. I read command line arguments, but if the value is not supplied, I default or make a calculation. Let's say I set it to a default value. I can code this in several ways. Here I show three ways. What would be the best way for maintaining this code? The program will get very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command line / script option to filter a data set by values of one column

Hi all! I have a data set in this tab separated format : Label, Value1, Value2 An instance is "data.txt" : 0 1 1 -1 2 3 0 2 2 I would like to parse this data set and generate two files, one that has only data with the label 0 and the other with label -1, so my outputs should be, for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnat01
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl command line option '-n','-p' and multiple files: can it know a file name of a printed line?

I am looking for help in processing of those options: '-n' or '-p' I understand what they do and how to use them. But, I would like to use them with more than one file (and without any shell-loop; loading the 'perl' once.) I did try it and -n works on 2 files. Question is: - is it possible to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
6 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)