Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl script on how to count the total number of lines of all the files under a directory Post 302435310 by adityam on Wednesday 7th of July 2010 04:36:36 AM
Old 07-07-2010
i tried to run this but this is giving below error.

Can't find string terminator "'" anywhere before EOF at -e line 1.

My requirement is in windows i need to run a perl script which will go to all the folders and calculate total lines of codes in all the files.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of files in a directory

Hi All, How do i find out the number of files in a directory using unix command ? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
14 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count files lines in a directory?

Hy! I have some problem. Problem is that i don't now how to solve problem of average lines of files in a directory. I have managed to get number of files in a directory, but i don't know the command to count average lines of these files. I have one "for" loop that goes true whole... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidoff
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

count number of files in a directory

what's the script to do that? i want to only count the number of files in that directory, not including any sub directories at all (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: finalight
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read directory files and count number of lines

Hello, I'm trying to create a BASH file that can read all the files in my working directory and tell me how many words and lines are in that file. I wrote the following code: FILES="*" for f in "$FILES" do echo -e `wc -l -w $f` done My issue is that my file is outputting in one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jl487
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and count number of lines that match

Hello all, I always found help for my problems using the search option, but this time my request is too specific. I have two files that I want to compare. File1 is the index and File2 contains the data: File1: chr1 protein_coding exon 500 600 . + . gene_id "20532";... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count the number of files starting with a pattern in a Directory

Hi! In our current directory there are around 35000 files. Out of these a few thousands(around 20000) start with, "testfiles9842323879838". I want to count the number of files that have filenames starting with the above pattern. Please help me with the command i could use. Thank... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: atechcorp
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of files in directory and write to new file with number of files and their name?

Hi! I just want to count number of files in a directory, and write to new text file, with number of files and their name output should look like this,, assume that below one is a new file created by script Number of files in directory = 25 1. a.txt 2. abc.txt 3. asd.dat... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
20 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of subset of files in a directory

hi I am trying to write a script to count the number of files, with slightly different subset name, in a directory for example, in directory /data, there are a subset of files that are name as follow /data/data_1_(1to however many).txt /data/data_2_(1 to however many).txt... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: piynik
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and count number of matching lines

Dear All, I would like to compare two files and return the number of matches found. Example File A Lx2 L1_Mus1 L1Md_T Lx5 L1M2 L1_Mus3 Lx3_Mus Lx9 Lx2A L1Md_A L1Md_F2 File B L1_Mus3 L1_Mus3 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: paolo.kunder
3 Replies
NEW(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    NEW(1)

NAME
new - report on folders with new messages fnext - set current folder to next folder with new messages fprev - set current folder to previous folder with new messages unseen - scan new messages in all folders with new messages SYNOPSIS
new [sequences] [-mode mode] [-folders foldersfile] [-version] [-help] fnext is equivalent to new -mode fnext fprev is equivalent to new -mode fprev unseen is equivalent to new -mode unseen DESCRIPTION
New in its default mode produces a one-line-per-folder listing of all folders containing messages in the listed sequences or in the sequences listed in the profile entry "Unseen-Sequence". Each line contains the folder, the number of messages in the desired sequences, and the message lists from the .mh_sequences file. For example: foo 11.* 40-50 bar 380. 760-772 824-828 total 391. The `*' on foo indicates that it is the current folder. The last line shows the total number of messages in the desired sequences. New crawls the folder hierarchy recursively to find all folders, and prints them in lexicographic order. Override this behavior by provid- ing foldersfile containing the pre-sorted list of folders new should check, one per line. In fnext and fprev modes, new instead changes to the next or previous matching folder, respectively. In unseen mode, new executes scan sequences for each matching folder. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Unseen-Sequence: The name of the unseen message sequence SEE ALSO
scan(1), mh-format(5) HISTORY
Based on Luke Mewburn's new (http://www.mewburn.net/luke/src/new). MH.6.8 11 June 2012 NEW(1)