Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep'ing a variable that contains a metacharacter ($) with a while loop Post 302434452 by jim mcnamara on Friday 2nd of July 2010 03:52:42 PM
Old 07-02-2010
Code:
awk -F\= '/Asset could not be deleted because it does not exist: asset_id=/ {print $2}' manager.log > patternfile

grep -F -f patternfile [file I want to search]

-F turns regexp expansion off
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep'ing for text within a bunch of files...?

I have, say, a dozen files, and I want to grep for a string of text within them. I don't remember the exact syntax, but let me give it a shot and show you an idea here... find . -type f -exec grep thisword {} \; ...and there's a way to put more than one grep into the statement, so it will tell... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kitykity
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing a file until a certain message appears

Hello, I'm writing a script that will automate the launch of some services on my AIX machine. However, some services are dependent on the successful startup of others. When I start these services manually, I usually just check a log file until I see a message that confirms a successful... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pallak7
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pipe'ing grep output to awk

This script is supposed to find out if tomcat is running or not. #!/bin/sh if netstat -a | grep `grep ${1}: /tomcat/bases | awk -F: '{print $3}'` > /dev/null then echo Tomcat for $1 running else echo Tomcat for $1 NOT running fi the /tomcat/bases is a file that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ziggy25
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script / Grep / Awk to variable and Loop

Hi, I have a text file with data in that I wish to extract, assign to a variable and process through a loop. Kind of the process that I am after: 1: Grep the text file for the values. Currently using: cat /root/test.txt | grep TESTING= | awk -F"=" '{ a = $2 } {print a}' | sort -u ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spoonless
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing dot history file

Hi, I tried to grep ".sh_history" (DOTsh_history) file and did not return anything though I found the word in .sh _history file through vi editor in Linux. Then I tried to grep ".profile" to check if it is the prob with hidden files and I got results. Then I verified the same with my friend... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

(BASH) Using a loop variable to grep something in a file?

Hi, I have a loop running until a variable L that is read previously in the full script. I'd like to grep some information in an input file at a line that contains the value of the loop parameter $i. I've tried to use grep, but the problem is nothing is written in the FILE files. It seems grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: DMini
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep'ing information from a log file on SUN OS 5

Hi Guys, I'm trying to write an script that will be launched by a user. The script will look at a log file and check for alerts with the date (supplied by user) and a machine's hostname (also supplied by the user). I'm trying to get the output formatted just like the log file. The logfile looks... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: illgetit
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep'ing a variable - why not working

Hi all, Am writing a ksh script where I am looking for processes that has gone defunct and all of which has the same PPID PID is the variable that I need to match as this is the process ID of the processes that has gone defunct Am just curious how come the following DOES NOT work? ps... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Declare and grep a variable via ssh/remote/loop

If I am running a bash command, and some awk getting the ethernet adapter on the local machine. It works fine. But if I will run it from the remote, it is EMPTY on echo and throwing error in grep. Thank you This work perfectly fine $ f=`/sbin/ip a|grep 127.127 | awk '{print $NF }' ` ; ip... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
2 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)