Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl and string array problem Post 302434022 by radoulov on Thursday 1st of July 2010 06:23:55 AM
Old 07-01-2010
Quote:
% perldoc -f length
length EXPR
length Returns the length in characters of the value of EXPR. If EXPR
is omitted, returns length of $_. Note that this cannot be
used on an entire array or hash to find out how many elements
these have. For that, use "scalar @array" and "scalar keys
%hash" respectively.
Code:
% perl -le'
  my @arr = qw(hello how are you);
  $l = @arr;
  print $l;
  '

This User Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: Searching for a string in a text file problem

Looking for a bit of help. I need to search for a string of words, but unfortunately these words are located on separate lines. for example the text output is: United Chanmpions Ronaldo Liverpool Losers Torres and my script code is print("DEBUG - checking file message"); while... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: meevagh
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when assign the array with the string index

I come across the problems when assigning the array in the script below . How to use the array with the 'string index' correctly ? When I assign a new string index , the array elements that are previously assigned are all changed .:eek::eek::eek: $ array=211 $ echo ${array} 211 $... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: youareapkman
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL, push to hash of array problem

$key = "a"; $value = "hello"; %myhash = {} ; push @{ myHash{$key} }, $hello; print $myHash{$key}."\n"; this script prints "hello" but has following error message. Reference found where even-sized list expected at ./test line 5. can any one help me to fix this problem?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl string matching problem (two backslash)

I have a few .tex files generated with html2latex. They have some extra \\ that generate error with pdflatex, so I would like to get rid of them. This perl -p -i -e s/\\\\//g myfile.tex with or without simple or double quote remove all of the backslashes, also the single ones needed by tex. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahsog
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search of string from an array in Perl

Hi All I want to search a string from an array in Perl. If a match occurs, assign that string to a variable else assign 'No match'. I tried writing the script as follows but it's in vain. Please help me.. #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; my $NER; my @text=("ORG","PER"); ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl nested array problem

I have a array reference which has some number of array references inside it.The nested array references also contains the array references. my $Filename = "sample.xml"; my $Parser = new XML::Parser( Style => 'tree' ); my $Tree = $Parser->parsefile( $Filename ); Here the $Tree is the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthigayan
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Strange problem with array

Hi, I have a strange problem with arrays in Perl. That is to say, for me it is strange and perhaps there is a special reason for it that I do not know of. Not a real Perl Ace. This is the program, as an example: #!/usr/bin/perl -w #-d use strict; my $pu; my $pu_list_cmd; my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Perl] Sorting an String-Array

Hi, i have a txtfile with the format <Nr>tab<word>tab<other stuff>new line and i want to sort the <word>-colum with a perl script. My textfile: <Nr>tab<word>tab<other stuff>new line 6807 die ART.Acc.Sg.Fem 6426 der ART.Gen.Sg.Fem 2 die ART.Nom.Sg.Fem 87 auf APPR.-- 486 nicht PTKNEG.--... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: buckelede
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl string formation from array

HI I ma using perl programming my perl is like this $InputFile = $ENV{UDE_TMP} . "/" ."cre_fmr_gen.temp_data_file_gen.dat"; @duplicates = `cat $InputFile | cut -d "|" -f 1,1 | sort | uniq -c | awk '{ if(\$1>1) {print \$2;}}'`; my $cusiplist ; foreach $cusip (@duplicates) {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
1 Replies
Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation			  Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)

NAME
Graphics::Primitive::Insets - Space between things DESCRIPTION
Graphics::Primitive::Insets represents the amount of space that surrounds something. This object can be used to represent either padding or margins (in the CSS sense, one being inside the bounding box, the other being outside) SYNOPSIS
use Graphics::Primitive::Insets; my $insets = Graphics::Primitive::Insets->new({ top => 5, bottom => 5, left => 5, right => 5 }); METHODS
Constructor new Creates a new Graphics::Primitive::Insets. Instance Methods as_array Return these insets as an array in the form of top, right, bottom and left. bottom Set/Get the inset from the bottom. equal_to Determine if these Insets are equal to another. left Set/Get the inset from the left. right Set/Get the inset from the right. top Set/Get the inset from the top. zero Sets all the insets (top, left, bottom, right) to 0. AUTHOR
Cory Watson, "<gphat@cpan.org>" SEE ALSO
perl(1) COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2008-2010 by Cory G Watson. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.3 2010-08-21 Graphics::Primitive::Insets(3pm)