Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extracting text between two strings Post 302432807 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 27th of June 2010 04:36:52 AM
Old 06-27-2010
Code:
sed -n '/Anna/,/would/p' inputfile > outputfile

prints the whole line that contains "Anna" upto and including any next line that contains "would"

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-27-2010 at 05:44 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting strings

Hi, How do I extract the bytes size string from the ls -l command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with extracting strings from a file

I want to collect the characters from 1-10 and 20-30 from each line of the file and take them in a file in the following format.Can someone help me with this : string1,string2 string1,string2 string1,string2 : : : : (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmsdelhi
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting the lines between 2 strings of a file

Hi, I have a sql file and i need to extract the table names used in the sql file using a unix script. If i can extract the lines between the keywords 'FROM' and 'WHERE' in the file, my job is done. can somebody tell me how to do this using a shell script. If u can just let me know, how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babloo
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting a set of strings from a text file

i have textfiles that contain a series of lines that look like this: string0 .................................................... column3a column4a string1**384y0439 ..................................... column3b column4b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting numbers from strings

Hello all, I am being dumb with this and I know there is a simple solution. I have a file with the follwing lines bc stuff (more)...............123 bc stuffagain (moretoo)............0 bc stuffyetagain (morehere)......34 failed L3 thing..............1 failed this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gobi
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings, first instance only

There are a lot of ways to extract text from between two strings, but what if those strings occur multiple times and you only want the text from the first two strings? I can't seem to find anything to work here. I'm using sed to process the text after it's extracted, so I prefer a sed answer, but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fubaya
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two constant strings

Hi All, I have a file whose common patter is like this: .I 1 .U 87049087 .S Some text here too .M This is a text .T Some another text here .P Name of the book .W Some lines of more text. This text needs to be extracted. .A more text goes here too .I 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting text between two strings, multiple instances

Hi experts, Ive got a text file which has the following text which will occur in this format at least one time: +=========================>> Some stuff that evreryone should knnow other stufsjdokajkajokajda aijhjajcdjajcisajcqsqdqwdqad <<=========================+ It is likely that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: martin0852
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting 22-character strings from text using sed/awk?

Here is my task, I feel sure this can be accomplished with see/awk but can't seem to figure out how. I have large flat file from which I need to extract every case of a pairing of characters (GG) in this case PLUS the previous 20 characters. The output should be a list (which I plan to make... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Extracting strings at various positions of text file

Hi Team - I hope everyone has been well! I export a file from one of our source systems that gives me more information than I need. The way the file outputs, I need to extract certain strings at different positions on the file and echo them to another file. I can do this in batch easily,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
2 Replies
XSTR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   XSTR(1)

NAME
xstr -- extract strings from C programs to implement shared strings SYNOPSIS
xstr [-cv] [-] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The xstr utility maintains a file strings into which strings in component parts of a large program are hashed. These strings are replaced with references to this common area. This serves to implement shared constant strings, most useful if they are also read-only. The following options are available: - Read from the standard input. -c Extract the strings from the C source file or the standard input (-), replacing string references by expressions of the form (&xstr[number]) for some number. An appropriate declaration of xstr is prepended to the file. The resulting C text is placed in the file x.c, to then be compiled. The strings from this file are placed in the strings data base if they are not there already. Repeated strings and strings which are suffixes of existing strings do not cause changes to the data base. -v Verbose mode. After all components of a large program have been compiled a file xs.c declaring the common xstr space can be created by a command of the form xstr The file xs.c should then be compiled and loaded with the rest of the program. If possible, the array can be made read-only (shared) saving space and swap overhead. The xstr utility can also be used on a single file. A command xstr name creates files x.c and xs.c as before, without using or affecting any strings file in the same directory. It may be useful to run xstr after the C preprocessor if any macro definitions yield strings or if there is conditional code which contains strings which may not, in fact, be needed. An appropriate command sequence for running xstr after the C preprocessor is: cc -E name.c | xstr -c - cc -c x.c mv x.o name.o The xstr utility does not touch the file strings unless new items are added, thus make(1) can avoid remaking xs.o unless truly necessary. FILES
strings data base of strings x.c massaged C source xs.c C source for definition of array xstr /tmp/xs* temporary file when ``xstr name'' does not touch strings SEE ALSO
mkstr(1) HISTORY
The xstr command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
If a string is a suffix of another string in the data base, but the shorter string is seen first by xstr both strings will be placed in the data base, when just placing the longer one there will do. BSD
December 30, 1993 BSD