Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run perl script on files in multiple directories Post 302432560 by ad23 on Friday 25th of June 2010 10:21:02 AM
Old 06-25-2010
Question

I tried running the script according to a_programmer's code, but it is now giving me an error saying:
Code:
./myScript.sh: $i: is not an identifier

The following is my code:

Code:
#!/bin/tcsh
cd /abc/xyz
for $i in */Data.txt
do
    perl myScript.pl $i > $i.new
done

Am I overlooking something obvious in this?
Thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 script or multiple scripts?? - check files, run jobs

Question for anyone that might be able to help: My objective is to eheck if a file (a source file) exists in a directory. If it does then, I'd like to call an application (Informatica ETL file...not necessary to know) to run a program which extracts data and loads it into multiple targets. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnanasakti
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foreach loop to run a perl script on multiple files

Hi, I have thousands of files in a directory that have the following 2 formats: 289620178.aln 289620179.aln 289620180.aln 289620183.aln 289620184.aln 289620185.aln 289620186.aln 289620187.aln 289620188.aln 289620189.aln 289620190.aln 289620192.aln.... and: alnCDS_1.fasta (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: greptastic
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run perl script with multiple file arguments

Hello everyone, I have two types of files in a directory: *.txt *.info I have a perl script that uses these two files as arguments, and produces a result file: perl myScript.pl abc.txt abc.xml How can I run this script (in a "for" loop , looping through both types of files)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ad23
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run perl script on multiple files of two directories?

Hi I have 100 files under file A labled 1.txt 2.txt.....100.txt(made up name) I have 1 files under file B labled name.txt How can i run the same perl script on 100 files and file name.txt I want to run perl script.pl A/1.txt B/name.txt perl script.pl A/2.txt B/name.txt ....... perl... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: grace_shen
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I run the following command on multiple files and print out the corresponding multiple files. perl script.pl genome.gff 1.txt > 1.gff However, there are multiples files of 1.txt, from 1----100.txt Thank you so much. No duplicate posting! Continue here. (0 Replies)
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files.

How can I Run one script on multiple files and print out multiple files. FOR EXAMPLE i want to run script.pl on 100 files named 1.txt ....100.txt under same directory and print out corresponding file 1.gff ....100.gff.THANKS (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script on multiple files

I have a script that I need to run on one file at a time. Unfortunately using for i in F* or cat F* is not possible. When I run the script using that, it jumbles the files and they are out of order. Here is the script: gawk '{count++; keyword = $1} END { for (k in count) {if (count == 2)... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: script to work with files with the same name in different directories

Hi All, I would like to use a Perl (not Bash) script to work with multiple files of the same name in different directories (all in the same parent directory). I tried to create a loop to do so, but it isn't working. My code so far: while (defined(my $file = glob("./*/filename.txt")) or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elgo4
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run script on multiple files

Hi Guys, I've been having a look around to try and understand how i can do the below however havent come across anything that will work. Basically I have a parser script that I need to run across all files in a certain directory, I can do this one my by one on comand line however I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mutley2202
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)