Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to compare flat files and print output to another file Post 302432488 by dazdseg on Friday 25th of June 2010 06:06:41 AM
Old 06-25-2010
Code:
cat file1 > final_file
cat file 2 >> final file 

uniq -u final_file >> result_file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare lines of two files and print output on screen

hey guys, I have two files both with two columns, I have already created an awk code to ignore certain lines (e.g lines that start with 963) as they wou ld begin with a certain string, however, the rest I have added together and calculated the average. At the moment the code also displays... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chlfc
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare columns from seven files and print the output

Hi guys, I need some help to come out with a solution . I have seven such files but I am showing only three for convenience. filea a5 20 a8 16 fileb a3 42 a7 14 filec a5 23 a3 07 The output file shoud contain the data in table form showing first field of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two files and search keyword and print output

You have two files to compare by searching keyword from one file into another file File A 23 >pp_ANSWER 24 >aa hello 25 >jau head wear 66 >jss oops 872 >aqq olps ploww oww sss 722 >GG_KILLER ..... large files File B Beta done KILLER John Mayor calix meyers ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shell Script to compare xml files and print output to a file

All, PLease can you help me with a shell script which can compare two xml files and print the difference to a output file. I have attached one such file for you reference. <Group> <Member ID=":Year_Quad:41501" childCount="4" fullPath="PEPSICO Year-Quad-Wk : FOLDER.52 Weeks Ending Dec... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanthrajgowda
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk compare specific columns from 2 files, print new file

Hello. I have two files. FILE1 was extracted from FILE2 and modified thanks to help from this post. Now I need to replace the extracted, modified lines into the original file (FILE2) to produce the FILE3. FILE1 1466 55.27433 14.72050 -2.52E+03 3.00E-01 1.05E+04 2.57E+04 1467 55.27433... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jm4smtddd
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files and print using awk

I have 2 files: email_1.out 1 abc@yahoo.com 2 abc_1@yahoo.com 3 abc_2@yahoo.com data_1.out <tr> 1 MAIL # 1 TO src_1 </tr> <tr><td class="hcol">col_id</td> <td class="hcol">test_dt</td> <td class="hcol">user_type</td> <td class="hcol">ct</td></tr> <tr><td... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare to flat files using awk

compare to flat files using awk .but in 4th field contains non ordered substring. how to do that. file1.txt john|0.0|4|**:25;JP:50;UY:25 file2.txt andy|0.0|4|JP:50;**:25;UY:25 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeruasu
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare columns of multiple files and print those unique string from File1 in an output file.

Hi, I have multiple files that each contain one column of strings: File1: 123abc 456def 789ghi File2: 123abc 456def 891jkl File3: 234mno 123abc 456def In total I have 25 of these type of file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] awk compare two different columns of two files and print all from both file

Hi, I want to compare two columns from file1 with another two column of file2 and print matched and unmatched column like this File1 1 rs1 abc 3 rs4 xyz 1 rs3 stu File2 1 kkk rs1 AA 10 1 aaa rs2 DD 20 1 ccc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinjj
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare two files and print output

Hi All, i am trying to compare two files in Centos 6. F1: /tmp/d21 NAME="xvda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="40G" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" MOUNTPOINT="" NAME="xvda1" TYPE="part" SIZE="500M" OWNER="root" GROUP="disk" MODE="brw-rw----" MOUNTPOINT="/boot" NAME="xvda2" TYPE="part"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
2 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-benstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-benstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
March 21, 2004 BSD