Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Couple logadm questions
Operating Systems Solaris Couple logadm questions Post 302432084 by incredible on Wednesday 23rd of June 2010 11:31:26 PM
Old 06-24-2010
have in your own customized script to work on top of that

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Attn! A couple quick questions about Linux [Help]

Hi guys!! I was wondering if you can help me with a couple quick questions in order for me to understand it better... Any help would be appreciated and i would like to say thanks!! In advanced... Ok here goes... (I think these are pretty basic, but i just want to clarify) 1. What would be the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kyoist
2 Replies

2. Solaris

logadm

I have a log file that I want to rotate each day without keeping old copies. how to achieve that? thx (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
3 Replies

3. Debian

A couple of grub questions.

1) After I install a new kernel in Debian Sarge, it updates my menu.lst file for grub, but incorrectly. It assumes it should boot from partition hd0,0, but this is incorrect. How do I change this faulty assumption? 2) If grub fails to find a kernel, grub allows me to enter a path to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akbar
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

Couple of questions.

Right now I am a Microfocus COBOL programmer, working on a HP-UX system. I want to now get Certified as a HP Certified Systems Administrator. I ordered a book from amazon and will start with it. I also will be working at my job with someone who applies the patches and things as we do NOT have a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie21
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

Couple of quick IP Routing questions

Hi 1) Is the MIB II table that can be accessed through the function m2IpRouteTblEntryGet() the same as the IP Routing table that the IP layer uses to do its routing work? 2) Is there a set of API functions, other than m2IpRouteTblEntryGet(), that are available to access entries in the IP Routing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nzeidat
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of newbie Unix questions

I entered a command at the prompt and it's interactive (not background). It gathers some stats and writes them to a file. I want to see this job running and what it's doing - I/O especially and maybe CPU and stuff. What can do to see this (say using a second session?) I know it's a long job but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ido1957
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logadm

I need to delete the logs using logadm command. we have application that generates to logs automatically with different dates every day like error_20121121.log and so on... using lodadm can i delete the logs of last 10 days using crontabentry? i am confuse here becasue if we use logadm what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phani4u
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Couple of questions wth grep/sort

I have different things that I was trying to do but am kind of struggling with this since I'm a Linux noob. The backround is that I have two files with student names in the same directory, and each file lists the student name, their major and their grade level. What is the most efficient way to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybeer
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Couple of easy questions for experts on awk/sed

Hello Experts.. I have 3-4 C codes with Oracle SQL statements embedded. All the SQL statements starts with EXEC SQL keyword and ends with ;. I want to extract all the SQL statements out of these codes. I did awk '/^EXEC SQL/,/\;/' inputFile (I use this on all of the codes individually). That... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: juzz4fun
2 Replies
btextract(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      btextract(8)

NAME
btextract - Extracts the file systems from tape in single-user mode in memory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sys/bin/btextract DESCRIPTION
The btextract utility is a shell script that restores file systems from tapes that contain the bootable Standalone System (SAS) kernel. The SAS kernel is created using the btcreate utility. You can perform a DEFAULT restore or an ADVANCED restore operation. A DEFAULT restore is used by system administrators who want to duplicate the customized system on more than one machine of the same hard- ware platform type. When you perform a DEFAULT restore, you cannot specify which disk partitions to use for the restore operation. Instead, the btextract utility restores file systems using the disk partition information gathered during the btcreate session; all exist- ing information is overwritten. Note To perform a DEFAULT restore, the disk configuration of the system you backed up must be the same as the system you are restoring. During an ADVANCED restore, you are prompted to enter the name of the disk partition where the file systems are to be restored. Note During an ADVANCED restore, the btextract utility assigns the b partition of the root disk as the swap partition. A file system which is more than 100% full cannot be restored in a partition of the same size as the original partition. During the restore of the UFS file system, the /sbin/restore command adds a new file named restoresymtable. The presence of this restoresymtable file can make the restored file system larger than the source partition size listed in the /sbin/disklabel output. For example, on the source system, the disklabel shows the target h partition to be: h: 86758 1212416 4.2BSD And the ufs file system is as follows: Filesystem 512-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on /dev/dsk8h 83812 83786 0 112% /bootable The file system is 112% full. This file system cannot be restored on the target file system of 86758 (512-blocks), as the following file is created by the /sbin/restore command. -rw-r--r-- 1 root system 27368 Jul 2 09:33 restoresymtable The command /sbin/restore creates a restoresymtable file that exceeds the 112% range. The solution is to use a partition of about 86996 (512-blocks), about 3.8% larger than the actual file size. USING btextract To use the btextract utility, place the system in a halt state, initialize the system, then boot from the tape as follows: >>> init >>> show dev >>> boot -fl "nc" MKA500 In the previous example, the show dev command provides the device name under BOOTDEV and MKA500 is the BOOTDEV. Once the initial boot is complete, the shell invokes the btextract utility. If you created a /usr/lib/sabt/sbin/custom_install.sh script during the btcreate session, the btextract utility invokes the custom_install.sh script before exiting. See the btcreate reference page for more information. You also have the option to label disks using your own disklabel script. If a customized disklabel script is not present, the btextract command will label the disks in the usual manner. A customized disklabel script has the following restrictions: It must be located in the /usr/lib/sabt/etc directory. It must be named custom_disklabel_file. After the btextract utility completes, you must shut down the system, then reboot the system from the restored disk as follows: # shutdown -h now >>> boot DKA100 In the previous example, DKA100 is the BOOTDEV. RETURN VALUES
Success. An error occurred. FILES
Log of the btextract process in memory Copy of the btextract process on the restored root file system Script used to customize the restored image A custom disklabel file read by btextract SEE ALSO
Commands: addvol(8), btcreate(8), df(1), disklabel(8), lmf(8), mkfdmn(8), mkfset(8), newfs(8), restore(8), sh(1), vrestore(8) btextract(8)