Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming In Python, what does "x = 5" really do/mean? Post 302431693 by Narnie on Tuesday 22nd of June 2010 02:23:25 PM
Old 06-22-2010
In Python, what does "x = 5" really do/mean?

Hi,

I'm a great scripter, but just learning programming (using Python).

I'm very much a newbie at this, so please be patient as I'm sure these will seem so basic a questions and may seem stupid to those experienced.

I'm reading a python book right now that has me thinking about variables.

As the title says, what does "x=5" really mean?

What is the "5" being assigned to? Is "x" considered an "instance" of "int?"

If I do this:
Code:
>>> class test(int):
    pass

>>> x=test(5)
>>> x
>>>

Then x here is an instance of class test(), a subclass of int.

But with int, you can do x=5.

If I do that after the above code, then x is no longer an instance of test() but is a variable of type int().

In the above, what is the 5 actually being assigned to in the instance of test()?

I have accessed it by defining a class and doing this just messing around:

Code:
>>> class test2(int):
    def value(self):
        print self
        self += 1
        print self

>>> x=test2(5)
>>> x
>>> x.value()
>>> x

Why doesn't the value of x change to 6 in the above example? I'm I "redefining" self in the value() method to no longer reflect what is self in the instance?

Also, can I "hijack" what x=5 means to to add my own methods, but it still behave like x=5. What I mean might be explained by this code:

Code:
#do whatever code here to "hijack" int()

>>> x=5
>>> x
>>> x.make_negative
>>> x
>>> x=-2
>>> x
>>> x.make_negative
>>> x

Or something like that?

If there is no way to do that and we go back to my original subclass definition, how do I change the value of the instance of the class to another value?

In:
Code:
>>> x=5
>>> x += 1
>>> x

How does the value of x become incremented internally? What magic is happening behind the scenes?

Say I want to do what is verboten in Python. Make in C-like incrementor like this.

Code:
>>> class Incrementor(int):
    def incAfter (self): # equivalent of x++
        #do whatever to access the value of instance
        return VALUE_OF_INSTANCE # as in x=Incrementor(5)
        VALUE_OF_INSTANCE += 1 # not quite sure how to do this to make it increment after returning the value (perhaps it is imporssible). Help here would be appreciated, too.
    def incBefore(self): # equivalent of ++x
        VALUE_OF_INSTANCE += 1
        return VALUE_OF_INSTANCE # as in x=Incrementor(5)

So that I could do something like this:

Code:
>>> x = Incrementor(5)
>>> x
>>> print x.incAfter()
>>> x
>>> print x.incBefore()
>>> x

Helping me with the concepts would really go a long way for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thankfully,
Narnie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

5. Solaris

The slices "usr", "opt", "tmp" disappeared!!! Help please.

The system don't boot. on the screen appears following: press enter to maintenance (or type CTRL-D to continue)...I checked with format command. ... the slices "0-root","1-swap","2-backup" exist. ...the slises "3-var","6-usr" -unassigned. :( (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgang
16 Replies

6. SuSE

"ssh suse-server 'python -V' > python-version.out" not redirecting

Okay, so I have had this problem on openSUSE, and Debian systems now and I am hoping for a little help. I think it has something to do with Python but I couldn't find a proper Python area here. I am trying to redirect the output of "ssh suse-server 'python -V'" to a file. It seems that no matter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Druonysus
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies