Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: NetBSD on OLD laptop
Operating Systems BSD NetBSD on OLD laptop Post 302431223 by mghis on Monday 21st of June 2010 07:33:50 AM
Old 06-21-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudocoder
Chapter*2.*Installing NetBSD: Preliminary considerations and preparations (2.2.6.2. Booting the install system from floppy)
Booting the floppies will load the sysinst program, then you can select from where you want to fetch the distribution sets (CDROM, unmounted file system, local directory, FTP, NFS)
Thanks! The figure 3.20 of this -->(http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-exinst.html) document says that there is a floppy installation of netbsd. I need that because my laptop does not CD-rom drive or ethernet port for the network installation. I'm looking for the floppy installation...

I'm trying this --->(Index of pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-5.0.2/i386/installation/floppy/index.html)

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

NetBSD Troubles

HI, I just installed NetBSD i386 v. latest. I am having a few problems: For some reason X just won't start!? Another is I can't access My CDROM or Floppy. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo
3 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Starting X in NetBSD

Hi I have NetBSD and i am having a trouble Starting X. It keeps asking me for the config file and I run the text confing file but it messes up. I really want to be able to run the Graphical Setup. I read about the Graphical setup from a book but they didn't tell how to start it. help please!? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vertigo
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash in netbsd

i recently downloaded and installed bash on my netbsd box (1.5.2) and set my shell and my root shell using user mod to change the shell, command executed under root. bash is installed from my user home directory (home/joe) and i moved the bash executable to /bin/ and everything is fine, except i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: norsk hedensk
6 Replies

4. BSD

NetBSD Ports

They put NetBSD on a Dreamcast. Thats just awesome. What can't they put it on!? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Phobos
1 Replies

5. BSD

Anyone using NetBSD pkgsrc on FreeBSD?

I confess, I'm getting a hair frustrated with the FreeBSD ports system. Is there a reasonably headache-free way of migrating all my installed apps to pkgsrc? Is it advisable or not? Or should I just change my systems over to NetBSD? Or stop worrying an learn to love FBSD ports? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: criglerj
0 Replies

6. BSD

netbsd

i have install netbsd but don't have gui?what happen?i want to a mount external usb hard drive but failure?what should i do? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibnusina202003
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netbsd

which better freebsd and netbsd for server unix (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: salehudinayubi
0 Replies

8. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

NetBSD on VirtualBox

Hello, guys! I use Ubuntu 9.04 as desktop operating system and I want to make some tests on NetBSD. I tried to install as a virtual sistem on VirtualBox but it doesn't want to install. You can see the error in the attached file. Do you guys have any clue about what the problem could be? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sergiu-IT
3 Replies

9. Ubuntu

Connect 2 laptops with RJ45 cable (Ubuntu 10.10 laptop with Windows 7 laptop)

Hi to all, I have the problem that a laptops with windows XP cannot startup even in safe mode nor using last good known configuration. I have a Ubuntu 10.10 Live CD and booting from it I can read the Hard Drive. I need to do a backup the Hard Drive from XP laptop and I want to connect this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
5 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Laptop to laptop transfer files

Dear all, I would like to transfer my old laptop documents/files etc to the new laptop without using any external hard disk. Please let me know if its possible via any way. Thank in advance, emily (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
3 Replies
SYSINST(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						SYSINST(8)

NAME
sysinst -- install or upgrade a NetBSD system SYNOPSIS
sysinst [-D] [-f deffile] [-r releasename] DESCRIPTION
sysinst is a menu-based program that may be used to install or upgrade a NetBSD system. It is usually invoked automatically when the system is booted from appropriate installation media. sysinst is usually not present on a NetBSD system that has been fully installed. OPTIONS
-D Switch on debugging. -r releasename Set the releasename if it is different to the one compiled. Currently unused. -f deffile Set a file for definitions other than the defaults. See DEFINITION FILE for its format. DEFINITION FILE
The definition file is used to set several other names and directories to search for. You can specify any of the options in the file. They are stored as: option = value pairs. In this description, REL and MACH are the release and architecture respectively, determined by the image sysinst is used on. option name default value description release REL Release name (also set by -r releasename). machine MACH Machine architecture xfer dir /usr/INSTALL Transfer dir ext dir Extract dir (will usually be set later on) ftp host ftp.NetBSD.org ftp host for fetching files ftp dir pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-REL ftp directory for fetching files ftp prefix /MACH/binary/sets directory to look for sets. Note that this is used for all kinds of fetching (CDs, local FS, ...), not only ftp. ftp user ftp ftp user for connecting ftp pass - ftp password ftp proxy - ftp proxy nfs host - nfs host for fetching via nfs nfs dir /bsd/release nfs directory for fetching files cd dev cd0a name of the CD device for fetching files fd dev /dev/fd0a name of floppy for fetching files local dev - Other device to be mounted for fetching files local fs ffs FS-type for local dev local dir release Directory to look for in the mounted local fs targetroot mount /targetroot Directory to mount target root dir to dist postfix .tgz Suffix of set files to be extracted diskname mydisk disktab(5) diskname to use for target disk SEE ALSO
release(7), afterboot(8), boot(8), diskless(8) <machine>/INSTALL.* files on CD-ROM installation media .../NetBSD-<rel>/<machine>/INSTALL.* files in NetBSD releases or snapshots. HISTORY
A sysinst command appeared in NetBSD 1.3. BSD
September 17, 2011 BSD