Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 - Unable to boot the system "panic: cannot open /kernel/amd64/unix" Post 302430875 by incredible on Saturday 19th of June 2010 08:18:08 AM
Old 06-19-2010
boot from cdrom to single user mode. then mount your rootfs to /a.
bootadm update-archive -R /a
umount /a
reboot -- -r

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Probably an easy SMIT question- "Unable to open temp file"

Hi All, Can't find any documentation on the web for this anywhere, except about three web pages that are in Chinese. When I enter SMIT on this box, I get ERROR MESSAGE: Unable to open temp file I suspected smit.log, but it is universal readable, writeable by root, and I am root.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffpas
6 Replies

2. Solaris

A NEW version of "boot: cannot open kernel/sparcv9/unix "

Ok, I found this article: https://www.unix.com/sun-solaris/19665-boot-cannot-open-kernel-sparcv9-unix.html However it doesn't quite describe my situation. I have created a jumpstart DVD that works great, and installs my customized Solaris-10 (Yes 10, not 8 or 9 per previous posts) . It... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: biea
6 Replies

3. HP-UX

"early boot vfp : System alert"

I have a HP-UX 9,000 server that doesn't boot anymore. I have the next error message in the console: ---------------------------------------------- **** EARLY BOOT VFP : SYSTEM ALERT ***** ..... ALERT LEVEL: 15 = Fatal hardware or configuration problem prevents opretion REASON FOR ALERT... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NicoMan
6 Replies

4. SuSE

VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file"

keep getting an error when I try to revert to a snapshot: "VMDB Failure" followed by "Unable to open snapshot file" Im using vmware server 1.0.4, host OS is windows xp and guest OS is SLES. Is there anything I can do to recover the snapshot or am I in trouble!?!?! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
0 Replies

5. Solaris

"Can't open boot device" error !!

I've a Sun V440 machine, and it's running solaris 10 .. for some reason i need to install a fresh copy of solaris 10. for that i've prepared solaris 10 dvd but surprisingly i found there is no any dvd rom on this machine, so i've took a dvd rom from a V240 machine and inserted on V440. after... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anti_Evil
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" { send "sudo su -\r" }"

Hi All, i am trying to ssh to a remote machine and execute certain command to remote machine through script. i am able to ssh but after its getting hung at the promt and after pressing ctrl +d i am gettin the out put as expect: spawn id exp5 not open while executing "expect "$" {... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siddharth shivh
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

What does "force devmap reload" as in "multipath -r" means for my system and stability of my system?

Cannot present unpresented disks back again. On a test server tried this as a solution "multipath -r" and it worked. Too worried to try it in production before I know all the information. Any info would be appreciated! Also some links to the documentation on this specific issue could help a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jsteppe
1 Replies
umount(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 umount(3)

NAME
umount - Unmounts a file system LIBRARY
System V Compatibility Library (libsys5.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mount.h> int umount( char *spec ); PARAMETERS
spec Points to the pathname of the special file or file system to be unmounted. DESCRIPTION
The umount() function unmounts a previously-mounted file system contained on the block special file pointed to by the spec parameter. When the file system is unmounted, the directory mount point where the file system was mounted returns to its normal interpretation. The umount() function can only be invoked by the superuser. NOTES
Two umount() functions are supported by the Tru64 UNIX operating system: the BSD umount() and the System V umount(). The default umount() function is the BSD umount(). To use the version of umount() documented on this reference page, you must link with the libsys5 library before you link with libc. RETURN VALUE
The umount() function returns 0 (zero) if the file system was successfully unmounted. Otherwise, -1 is returned and errno is set to indi- cate the error. ERRORS
If the umount() function fails, errno may be set to one of the following values: [EPERM] The effective user ID of the calling process is not root. [ENOENT] The spec parameter points to a pathname that does not exist. [ENOTDIR] A component of the path prefix of spec is not a directory. [ENOTBLK] The device identified by spec is not a block-special device. [ENXIO] The device identified by spec does not exist. [EBUSY] A file on the device pointed to by the spec parameter is busy. [EINVAL] The device pointed to by the spec parameter is not mounted. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: mount(8) delim off umount(3)