Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: concatenate lines in pairs
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting concatenate lines in pairs Post 302430372 by drl on Thursday 17th of June 2010 11:01:50 AM
Old 06-17-2010
Hi.

The paste command can do this:
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env bash

# @(#) s1	Demonstrate joining pairs of lines from a single file, paste.

pe() { for i;do printf "%s" "$i";done; printf "\n"; }
pl() { pe;pe "-----" ;pe "$*"; }

pl " Results from paste:"
cat data1 | paste -d "" - -

exit 0

producing:
Code:
% ./s1

-----
 Results from paste:
/C=IT/O=INFN/OU=Personal Certificate/L=Napoli/CN=Some guy/C=IT/O=INFN/CN=INFN CA
/O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/OU=uninett.no/CN=Another guy/O=Grid/O=NorduGrid/CN=NorduGrid Certification Authority
/C=TW/O=AP/OU=GRID/CN=Someone else/C=TW/O=AS/CN=Academia Sinica Grid Computing Certification Authority Mercury

cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading lines in pairs from file in ksh

I need to read pairs of lines from a file and compare them. We can assume that the number of lines in the file is even. Can i do it in korn shell? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ytokar
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to concatenate consecutive lines

I have a few lines like -- feature 1, subfeat 0, type 3, subtype 1, value 0, -- feature 1, subfeat 0, type 1, subtype 1, value 0, I would like to concatenate the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shivi707
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate two lines in one

Does anyone know a way I can fix my file below where it has lines that are cut? Just like the (notice the space before ms,c=PH).. dn: cn=english,ou=Messaging,ou=lang,o=subject,t=j ms,c=PH which should be dn: cn=english,ou=Messaging,ou=lang,o=subject,t=jms,c=PH The whole text file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Orbix
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate lines between lines starting with a specific pattern

Hi, I have a file such as: --- >contig00001 length=35524 numreads=2944 gACGCCGCGCGCCGCGGCCAGGGCTGGCCCA CAGGCCGCGCGGCGTCGGCTGGCTGAG >contig00002 length=4242 numreads=43423 ATGCCGAAGGTCCGCCTGGGGCTGG CGCCGGGAGCATGTAGCG --- I would like to concatenate the lines not starting with ">"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to swap order of pairs of lines?

This seems to be a question whose answer uses sed or awk. For a file like: a b c d e How to swap the order of the line pairs, to end up with: b a d c e All lines from the original file need to wind up in the output file. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rd5817
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parse (delimited string) key-value pairs in a column into separate lines

Hi experts, e.g. i/p data looks like 0000xm7zcNDIkP888vRqGv93xA7:176n00qql||9700005405552747,9700005405717924,9700005405733788|unidentified,unidentified,unidentified|| o/p data should like - row1: 0000xm7zcNDIkP888vRqGv93xA7:176n00qql||9700005405552747|unidentified ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumoka
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File w/ many line pairs--how do I order based on 1st lines only?

I have a file in which the data is stored in pairs of lines. The first line (beginining with ">") is a header, the second line is a sequence. I would like to sort the file by species name. Desired output for the example file: I can use sort -t'_' -k2 to alphabetize headers in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pathunkathunk
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate three lines into one

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I am attempting to parse an Audit Log from Cognos/TM1, selecting only Event IDs of "client" which are found on the "start-tag" record. These Logs are in a pseudo-XML format but not a true XML format. I want to FTP an Audit Log File from the Cognos server to our UNIX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredAtArrow
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines with duplicate pairs where AB is equal to BA

I have a file with four columns like dmn10003t1 PF00001 PF00022 dmn12390t1 dmn10008t1 PF00069 PF00027 dmn9781t1 dmn10008t1 PF00068 PF00027 dmn9781t1 dmn10008t1 PF00069 PF00069 dmn9781t1 dmn12390t1 PF00069 PF00076 dmn10003t1 I want to create a new file by comparing the repeated word pairs... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sammy777
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate files by pairs

Hi, I would like to batch concatenate files by pairs. I have quite a few of them so I would not like to do that pair by pair separately. the names of the file is of the type: file1.fastq newfile1_new.fastq file2.fastq newfile2_new.fastq and so on... I would like to concatenate file1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawad
2 Replies
PASTE(1)							   User Commands							  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste - merge lines of files SYNOPSIS
paste [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Write lines consisting of the sequentially corresponding lines from each FILE, separated by TABs, to standard output. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -d, --delimiters=LIST reuse characters from LIST instead of TABs -s, --serial paste one file at a time instead of in parallel --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by David M. Ihnat and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report paste bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for paste is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and paste programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'paste invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 PASTE(1)