Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Need assistance to enable more that 4GB RAM on Linux 32Bit OS. Post 302429819 by Corona688 on Tuesday 15th of June 2010 04:18:36 PM
Old 06-15-2010
It's not really greater than normal bit capabilities... The processor supports it in hardware, and individual processes still run in a 32-bit address space, just mapped in from a larger pool of pages.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Athlon XP + Linux/Unix? and RAM Question

Has anyone had any experience with this new processor and its compatability with Linux/Unix? How did it preform comared to regular Athlons and P4's? I also have one other question. I plan on buying a new dell and fiddling left and right with it. Which type of RAM is better, RDRAM or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KyPeN
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How much RAM does RH Linux need?

I wish to install Red Hat linux 7.1 on a machine with 16mb of EDO Ram. When I enter the instalation process I am told 'You do not have enough memory'. Is there a way to install RHL with only the 16? Or will I have to upgrade and buy some very expensive EDO. ~ Paul (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KrazyGuyPaul
3 Replies

3. Debian

what is the best linux ver for p100 16 ram

Hello all i own p100 16ram laptop , i would like to run linux on it i need it for gcc compilation and shell scripting , no gui. what version of linux should i install , i dont mind to install old one . tnx allot (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the RAM size for an Linux server.

Hi Gurus, Can someone let me know how to find the RAM size,ROM size and Number of processors for a linux server. Version :Linux 2.4.9-e.57smp Also what does "e.57smp" stands for? Thanks in advance gurus..... cheers. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: navojit dutta
3 Replies

5. Linux

Linux 32bit or 64bit

Hi, I want to know what is command to know which will tell wheather linux is 32 or 64 bit (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
5 Replies

6. Linux

Linux version v.s. 32bit/64bit

Where can I get a list that maps the each Linux version to corresponding 32/64 bits model? e.g. OS -> Model (ILP32, LP64, ...) RHLE3 -> ? RHLE4 -> ? RHLE5 -> ? ... It would be better if there is such a list that contains most of current UNIX OS versions. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princelinux
1 Replies

7. Debian

How to enable and use ACL's in Linux

Hi, How to enable and use ACL's in linux. Thx, siva. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
2 Replies

8. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

32bit Linux vs 64 bit Linux

Friends , Would u plz tell me what is the difference between 32-bit Linux o/s and the 64 bit Linux o/s . Is there any RAM limitation in this two types of o/s . Waiting for kind reply ... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
7 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

root cannot write to Linux RAM

void main() { long ((long)(&array)); int x; for (;;) { (array) =+ 1023; printf("%c", array); } } What is wrong with this code to print Linux RAM? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alux
13 Replies
sg_get_network_io_stats(3)				     Library Functions Manual					sg_get_network_io_stats(3)

NAME
sg_get_network_io_stats, sg_get_network_io_stats_diff - get network statistics SYNOPSIS
#include <statgrab.h> sg_network_io_stats *sg_get_network_io_stats(int *entries); sg_network_io_stats *sg_get_network_io_stats_diff(int *entries); DESCRIPTION
Both calls take a pointer to an int, entries, which is filled with the number of network interfaces the machine has. This is needed to know how many sg_network_io_stats structures have been returned. A pointer is returned to the first sg_network_io_stats. sg_get_network_io_stats returns the network traffic stored in the kernel which holds the amount of data transferred since bootup. On some platforms, such as Solaris 7, this value is stored in a 32bit int, so wraps around when it reaches 4GB. Other platforms, such as Solaris 8, hold the value in a 64bit int, which wraps somewhere near 17 million terabytes. sg_get_network_io_stats also returns the number of packets sent and received, and the number of errors that have occured. It also makes the number of collisions available. sg_get_network_io_stats_diff is the same as sg_get_network_io_stats except it will return the difference since the last call. So, for instance a call to sg_get_network_io_stats_diff is made, and called again 5 seconds later. Over that time, 20 bytes of traffic was trans- mitted and 10 bytes received. Tx will store 20, rx will store 10 and systime will store 5. This function copes with wrap arounds by the O/S so should be seemless to use. RETURN VALUES
All network statistics return a pointer to a structure of type sg_network_io_stats. typedef struct{ char *interface_name; long long tx; long long rx; long long ipackets; long long opackets; long long ierrors; long long oerrors; long long collisions; time_t systime; }sg_network_io_stats; interface_name The name known to the operating system. (eg. on linux it might be eth0) tx The number of bytes transmitted. rx The number of bytes received. ipackets The number of packets received. opackets The number of packets transmitted. ierrors The number of receive errors. oerrors The number of transmit errors. collisions The number of collisions. systime The time period over which tx and rx were transferred. BUGS
On the very first call sg_get_network_io_stats_diff will return the same as sg_get_network_io_stats. After the first call it will always return the difference. On operating system that hold only 32bits of data there is a problem if the values wrap twice. For example, on Solaris 7 if 9GB is trans- ferred and the operating system wraps at 4GB, the sg_get_network_io_stats_diff function will return 5GB. SEE ALSO
statgrab(3) WEBSITE
http://www.i-scream.org/libstatgrab/ i-scream $Date: 2005/04/25 11:25:45 $ sg_get_network_io_stats(3)