Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk ignores fields with only spaces or empty Post 302428337 by danmero on Wednesday 9th of June 2010 01:33:15 PM
Old 06-09-2010
Code:
# cat file
Data: "a","b","c","d","","   "
# awk -F, '{ print NF }' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Removing empty spaces and adding commas

I have a file which contains numbers as follows: 1234 9876 6789 5677 3452 9087 4562 1367 2678 7891 I need to remove the empty spaces and add commas between the numbers like: 1234,9876,6789,5677,3452, 9087,4562,1367,2678,7891 Can anyone tell me the command to do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Initializing empty string with spaces

Hi, I want to Initialize a String with 50 spaces. I can do that by ex: Var1=" " But i dont want to do in this way? Is there any unix command where i can specify no of spaces to a varaible? like space(50) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shiv_18
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to replace empty fields with the latest nonempty field

Hi suppose I have a csv file like this count,1977,1978,1979 usa, , , blue japan, red, yellow,green india, , yellow,blue china, blue, yellow, green I want the output to be(replace everything, including empty data, with the most recent data): ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete empty spaces at specific column

Hi All, If anybody could help me with my scenario here. I have a statement file. Example of some content: DATE DESC Debit Credit Total Rate 02-Jan-08 Lodgement 200.00 1200.00 2.51 14-Sep-07 Withdrawal 50.00 1000.00 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yonez
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trim empty fields in a given range

Is there some easy way to trim empty fields but only in a given range? for example say I have csv data that looks like this: apple,,,Granysmith,,2.50,,TimmysGrocers Pear,Bartlett,,,,,Park, peach,,,,Peento,3.00,Garden,TimmysGrocers is there a way of getting the single field with data... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cue
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : how to match non-empty string that has no spaces

Hi Everyone, I am looking for neat way to grep a non-empty string that basically contains a hostname, which might be in FWDN form or without the domain, for example: hostname.internal.domainname.net The file I am parsing contains blan lines (^$) and also series of "-" which in other places... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: togr
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to preserve spaces in input fields with awk?

I'm trying to do something pretty simple but its appears more complicated than expected... I've lines in a text file, separated by the comma and that I want to output to another file, without the first field. Input file: file1,item, 12345678 file2,item, 12345678 file2,item, ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Armoric
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problems - awk ignores conditions

awk 'BEGIN{ if('"$CATE"'<'"${WARN}"') printf ("%s", "'"`Kfunc "" ; break`"'") else if (('"${CATE}"'>='"${WARN}"') && ('"${CATE}"'<'"${CRIT}"')) printf ("%s", "'"`Wfunc ""; break`"'") else if ('"${CATE}"'>='"${CRIT}"') printf... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to identify empty fields in line

I am trying to use awk to identify and print out records in fields that are empty along with which line they are in. I hope the awk below is close, it runs but nothing results. Thank you :). awk awk -F'\t' 'FNR==NR ~ /^*$/ { print "NR is empty" }' file file 123 GOOD ID 45... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk empty fields

Hello I have a file like this a,b,c,1,2,3,d,e,f,,,,g,h,i,,,,j,k,l and using awk 'FS="'"{print $9,$10,$11}' does not work as I was hoping. I would like the empty fieds, i.e. between the two comma to be interpreted as a zero. is this possible? I would like to get f 0 0 out of the above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garethsays
1 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)