Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Please give me answer for these interview questions. Post 302428126 by robsonde on Wednesday 9th of June 2010 01:30:15 AM
Old 06-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
The only read advice I can give you about interviews is: Be Honest
this is so true...

sell your skills, any skills.

when I went in for my first job as a unix admin it went a bit like this:

Q. What size company do you work for at the moment?
A. sorry but I am not employed at all right now...

Q. what versions of unix have you used with your last job?
A. just solaris 2.6 on some really old hardware at home.

Q. what have you done at home that makes you at all qualified for this job?!?!
A. well I built my own jumpstart server in VM-ware on windows so I could jumpstart my old sparc server.
then i got mysql running so i could do a perl/CGI website with apache.

Q. did that go well?
A. yep, site has been online for over a year.

Q. how do you backup of this "one old server" ?
A. I have a cron that dumps the CGI and sql database every night, it goes to an offsite backup automatically.

Q. offsite backup? sounds like a lot of cost for someone with out a job?
A. I do things on the cheap, it's just zip file emailed to my gmail account :-)

Boss: looks like you are good at getting the job done with whatever tools you can find, we like that...
we will take you on for 6 months, if you don't screwup too bad then you have a job.

that was 6 years ago...

I am now a unix admin who runs 400 solaris boxes.

Last edited by robsonde; 06-09-2010 at 02:35 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Interview Questions

hi everybody, my name is samir, i m from delhi,india. i m a student in solaris. just few days ago i had completed my course. can anybody tell me the possible interview questions in solaris. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samir_sinu
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 Interview Questions?

Hey, My company is looking to bring on a Sr. UNIX Admin with Solaris 10 experience. What are some solid interview questions I could ask about UNIX and Solaris 10 that would weed a good guy out from a bad? Questions that don't involve long command lines would be the best. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikepatton21
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Experts Answer this INterview Questions please

1, why Boot server should be in a network in jumpstart? 2, what is the different between patch and package? 3, how to list the avilable NIC in solaris9? 4, User complaing system is slow (solaris) what are the steps to check? 5, what is hardware error and software error and Transport Error? in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suresh_krish
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can any one please answer these questions

6.nohup cmn is used to Prot execn of pgm frm aborting when hangup s/g is rxd Not hangup modem Disconn a node frm s/m Chng execn prev of pgm .wat is the o/p? Cut -d”” -f3 file1/sort -r Display 3rd col of file 1 in asc order Disp 3rd col of file 1 in desc Not ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: techguru
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Interview questions

Hi guys, Interview Questions:- 1) There are 2 ways to create a slice in Solaris 1) we can create using format command but there say other than format 1more within sec. we can create a slice. 2) ? 2) How to create a temperory SWAP Space 3) How to check the Devices from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Please give answers for this interview questions

I was not able to get answers for these interview questions. It will be appreciable and useful if any one answers this questions. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

interview questions..plz help

hello, I have some doubts .plz help if i try to ping from a server, it doesnt ping & gives different ip address, and in nslookup i get different ip address, what is the problem ? if u cant ssh to a server what will be ur steps ? give full iptables command to open port 22 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhigrkist
1 Replies

8. Solaris

==please answer the following questions==

Hello :) ! i've few doubts. 1) how can we find the newly attached disk in SOLARIS ? 2) how to change port number of a service ? 3) how can we find that autofs is running in our system without using svcs and prstat commands ? 4) we know that there are several types of dns servers in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
0 Replies
ECACCESS-JOB-LIST(1p)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     ECACCESS-JOB-LIST(1p)

NAME
ecaccess-job-list - List all ECaccess Jobs SYNOPSIS
ecaccess-job-list -version|-help|-manual ecaccess-job-list [-debug] [job-id] DESCRIPTION
List all your ECaccess Jobs. When a job-id is specified then the details for this job are displayed. The Job statuses can have the following values: INIT Jobs are being initialised STDBY Jobs are waiting for an event EXEC Jobs are running WAIT Jobs have been queued to the scheduler (e.g. LoadLeveler) RETR Jobs will be resubmitted STOP Jobs have NOT completed (error) DONE Jobs have successfully completed ARGUMENTS
job-id (optional) The identifier of the ECaccess Job to retrieve the details. OPTIONS
-version Display version number and exits. -help Print a brief help message and exits. -manual Prints the manual page and exits. -debug Display the SOAP messages exchanged. EXAMPLES
ecaccess-job-list 124356 Give the informations concerning the ECaccess Job with identifier 124356. ecaccess-job-list List all your ECaccess Jobs in the spool. SEE ALSO
ecaccess-queue-list, ecaccess-job-delete, ecaccess-job-get, ecaccess-job-restart, ecaccess-job-submit and ecaccess. perl v5.14.2 2012-04-16 ECACCESS-JOB-LIST(1p)