Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to Kill process with dynamic PID? Post 302426232 by ninadgac on Tuesday 1st of June 2010 07:16:41 AM
Old 06-01-2010
How to Kill process with dynamic PID?

Hello,
I have problem with killing red5 process running on linux server. As this process is continuously changing its PID so it can't be killed with "kill -9 PID" command.
First I used following command to list RED5 process
ps aux | grep red5
which showed me
root 5832 0.0 0.0 4820 756pts/0 S+ 11:01 grep red5
when I used
kill -9 5832 (which is PID)
it showed me "No Such Process" message
then again I used "ps aux | grep red5"
I noticed PID is changed
root 6369 0.0 0.0 4820 756pts/0 S+ 11:01 grep red5
Please guide me how to kill this process.
Thanking You
Regards
ninadgac

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to kill all child process for a given PID

Is there any build in command in unix to kill all the child process for a given process ID ? If any one has script or command, please let me know. Thanks Sanjay (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to kill a process and its childs given pid and userid

I need to write a shell script which would take 2 arguments pid , userid. Then it should kill all the child process under it. If a child process is not killed then it should wait for 1 minute and should kill. can anybody give me the idea to write it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani_g
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

KILL PID, intern should kill another PID.

Hi All, In my project i have two process runs in the back end. Once i start my project, and execute the command ps, i get below output: PID TTY TIME CMD 9086 pts/1 0:00 ksh 9241 pts/1 0:02 java 9240 pts/1 0:00 shell_script_bg java with 9241 PID is the main... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkrgarlapati
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grab PID of a process and kill it in a script

#!/bin/sh who echo "\r" echo Enter the terminal ID of the user in use: echo "\r" read TERM_ID echo "\r" ps -t $TERM_ID | grep sh echo "\r" echo Enter the process number to end: echo "\r" read PID echo "\r" kill -9 $PID What this code does is ultimately grab the PID of a users sh... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Kill process with dynamic PID?

Hello, I have problem with killing red5 process running on linux server. As this process is continuously changing its PID so it can't be killed with "kill -9 PID" command. First I used following command to list RED5 process ps aux | grep red5 which showed me root 5832 0.0 0.0 4820 756pts/0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninadgac
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to Force KILL State -D Process/PID?

Hi Expert, I am not able to kill certain user process as root. I have tried using: pkill -u uname skill KILL -u uname kill -9 PID *** I have not using killall yet, since this server has more than 100 users online atm. PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: regmaster
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the Pid and Kill the Process after a Few Minutes

hi guys i had written a shell script Display Information of all the File Systems i want to find the pid and kill the process after few minutes.how can i obtain the pid and kill it??? sample.sh df -a >> /tmp/size.log and my cron to execute every minute every hour every day * *... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: azherkn3
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill nohup process with changing PID

Hi there! I have a tricky problem concerning a nohup process: I started a python2.7 script which loops over a function. At the end it restarts the function. Due to a mistake I'm now having a never ending nohup process that I have to kill. I started the program execution with: >>nohup... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lydia
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to report file size, pid and also kill the process

Hi All, Looking for a quick LINUX shell script which can continuously monitors the flle size, report the process which is creating a file greater than certain limit and also kill that process. Can someone please help me on this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasavimacherla
4 Replies
kill.d(1m)							   USER COMMANDS							kill.d(1m)

NAME
kill.d - snoop process signals as they occur. Uses DTrace. SYNOPSIS
kill.d DESCRIPTION
kill.d is a simple DTrace program to print details of process signals as they are sent, such as the PID source and destination, signal num- ber and result. This program can be used to determine which process is sending signals to which other process. Since this uses DTrace, only users with root privileges can run this command. EXAMPLES
Default output, print process signals as they are sent. # kill.d FIELDS
FROM source PID COMMAND source command name TO destination PID SIG destination signal ("9" for a kill -9) RESULT result of signal (-1 is for failure) DOCUMENTATION
See the DTraceToolkit for further documentation under the Docs directory. The DTraceToolkit docs may include full worked examples with ver- bose descriptions explaining the output. EXIT
kill.d will run forever until Ctrl-C is hit. AUTHOR
Brendan Gregg [Sydney, Australia] SEE ALSO
dtrace(1M), truss(1) version 0.90 May 14, 2005 kill.d(1m)