Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Vendor of physical host with HP-UX OS Post 302425441 by epriya2003 on Friday 28th of May 2010 01:56:09 AM
Old 05-28-2010
for windows wmi query gives name of manufacturer.

Coming back to Solaris OS:

Is there a way from BIOS someway information can be read.

Please note I have to read this info from a different machine but we have root access to machine with Solaris OS.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

QNX host cannot ping SCO host, vice versa

The problem I am facing now is that the QNX host could not ping the SCO host and vice versa. They are in the same domain, ie, 172.20.3.xx. As I am very new to Unix, I guess I must have missed out some important steps. Pls help... Thanx alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gavon
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

4. Solaris

List all resources on physical host LDOM server

Hello, I have a SUN T5240 running Solaris 10 with Logical Domain Manager (v 1.0.3). You can use the "ldm" command to display current resources on the box. Is there away to display all the "physical resources" on the box(i.e.,used and unused). For example, "ldm ls" will tell me what the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stephanpitts
5 Replies

5. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! How to find the local host after few ssh hops to remote host???

I do a ssh to remote host(A1) from local host(L1). I then ssh to another remote(A2) from A1. When I do a who -m from A2, I see the "connected from" as "A1". => who -m userid pts/2 2010-03-27 08:47 (A1) I want to identify who is the local host who initiated the connection to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vendor of physical host with Solaris OS

I have a machine with Solaris OS 10 installed. What command/file can give me the vendor of physical machine. I have a machine with AIX OS installed. What command/file can give me the vendor of physical machine. I have a machine with Linux OS installed. What command/file can give... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: epriya2003
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Migrate physical host to zone

Hi guys I need to migrate some physical sparc server to zones (M4000) and i know that this is possible wit Oracle OpsManager. But is there also another way to do that work? Has someone experience with migrating a physical system to a zone? Regards beta17 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beta17
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Migration of Solaris 10 on physical host to Solaris Zones

Hi All Kindly let me know how can I move Solaris 10 OS running update 10 on physical machine to another machine solaris zone running Solaris 10 update 11 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 10 virtual - how do I tell physical host?

uname -a reports type Generic so I know its virtual. Assume its an ldom somewhere. How do I find out what physical host server is? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
4 Replies
ACPI_HP(4)						 BSD/i386 Kernel Interfaces Manual						ACPI_HP(4)

NAME
acpi_hp -- ACPI extras driver for HP laptops SYNOPSIS
To compile this driver into the kernel, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: device acpi_hp Alternatively, to load the driver as a module at boot time, place the following line in loader.conf(5): acpi_hp_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The acpi_hp driver provides support for ACPI-controlled features found on HP laptops that use a WMI enabled BIOS (e.g. HP Compaq 8510p and 6510p). The main purpose of this driver is to provide an interface, accessible via sysctl(8), devd(8) and devfs(8), through which applications can determine and change the status of various laptop components and BIOS settings. devd(8) Events Devd events received by devd(8) provide the following information: system "ACPI" subsystem "HP" type The source of the event in the ACPI namespace. The value depends on the model. notify Event code (see below). Event codes: 0xc0 WLAN on air status changed to 0 (not on air) 0xc1 WLAN on air status changed to 1 (on air) 0xd0 Bluetooth on air status changed to 0 (not on air) 0xd1 Bluetooth on air status changed to 1 (on air) 0xe0 WWAN on air status changed to 0 (not on air) 0xe1 WWAN on air status changed to 1 (on air) devfs(8) Device You can read /dev/hpcmi to see your current BIOS settings. The detail level can be adjusted by setting the sysctl cmi_detail as described below. SYSCTL VARIABLES
The following sysctls are currently implemented: WLAN: dev.acpi_hp.0.wlan_enabled Toggle WLAN chip activity. dev.acpi_hp.0.wlan_radio (read-only) WLAN radio status (controlled by hardware switch) dev.acpi_hp.0.wlan_on_air (read-only) WLAN on air (chip enabled, hardware switch enabled + enabled in BIOS) dev.acpi_hp.0.wlan_enabled_if_radio_on If set to 1, the WLAN chip will be enabled if the radio is turned on dev.acpi_hp.0.wlan_disable_if_radio_off If set to 1, the WLAN chip will be disabled if the radio is turned off Bluetooth: dev.acpi_hp.0.bt_enabled Toggle Bluetooth chip activity. dev.acpi_hp.0.bt_radio (read-only) Bluetooth radio status (controlled by hardware switch) dev.acpi_hp.0.bt_on_air (read-only) Bluetooth on air (chip enabled, hardware switch enabled + enabled in BIOS) dev.acpi_hp.0.bt_enabled_if_radio_on If set to 1, the Bluetooth chip will be enabled if the radio is turned on dev.acpi_hp.0.bt_disable_if_radio_off If set to 1, the Bluetooth chip will be disabled if the radio is turned off WWAN: dev.acpi_hp.0.wwan_enabled Toggle WWAN chip activity. dev.acpi_hp.0.wwan_radio (read-only) WWAN radio status (controlled by hardware switch) dev.acpi_hp.0.wwan_on_air (read-only) WWAN on air (chip enabled, hardware switch enabled + enabled in BIOS) dev.acpi_hp.0.wwan_enabled_if_radio_on If set to 1, the WWAN chip will be enabled if the radio is turned on dev.acpi_hp.0.wwan_disable_if_radio_off If set to 1, the WWAN chip will be disabled if the radio is turned off Misc: dev.acpi_hp.0.als_enabled Toggle ambient light sensor (ALS) dev.acpi_hp.0.display (read-only) Display status (bitmask) dev.acpi_hp.0.hdd_temperature (read-only) HDD temperature dev.acpi_hp.0.is_docked (read-only) Docking station status (1 if docked) dev.acpi_hp.0.cmi_detail Bitmask to control detail level in /dev/hpcmi output (values can be ORed). 0x01 Show path component of BIOS setting 0x02 Show a list of valid options for the BIOS setting 0x04 Show additional flags of BIOS setting (ReadOnly etc.) 0x08 Query highest BIOS entry instance. This is broken on many HP models and therefore disabled by default. dev.acpi_hp.0.verbose (read-only) Set verbosity level Defaults for these sysctls can be set in sysctl.conf(5). HARDWARE
The acpi_hp driver has been reported to support the following hardware: o HP Compaq 8510p o HP Compaq nx7300 It should work on most HP laptops that feature a WMI enabled BIOS. FILES
/dev/hpcmi Interface to read BIOS settings EXAMPLES
The following can be added to devd.conf(5) in order disable the LAN interface when WLAN on air and reenable if it's not: notify 0 { match "system" "ACPI"; match "subsystem" "HP"; match "notify" "0xc0"; action "ifconfig em0 up"; }; notify 0 { match "system" "ACPI"; match "subsystem" "HP"; match "notify" "0xc1"; action "ifconfig em0 down"; }; Enable the ambient light sensor: sysctl dev.acpi_hp.0.als_enabled=1 Enable Bluetooth: sysctl dev.acpi_hp.0.bt_enabled=1 Get BIOS settings: cat /dev/hpcmi Serial Port Disable Infrared Port Enable Parallel Port Disable Flash Media Reader Disable USB Ports including Express Card slot Enable 1394 Port Enable Cardbus Slot Disable Express Card Slot Disable (...) Set maximum detail level for /dev/hpcmi output: sysctl dev.acpi_hp.0.cmi_detail=7 SEE ALSO
acpi(4), acpi_wmi(4), sysctl.conf(5), devd(8), devfs(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The acpi_hp device driver first appeared in FreeBSD CURRENT. AUTHORS
The acpi_hp driver was written by Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> It has been inspired by hp-wmi driver, which implements a subset of these features (hotkeys) on Linux. HP CMI whitepaper: http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/cmi_whitepaper.pdf wmi-hp for Linux: http://www.kernel.org WMI and ACPI: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/wmi/wmi-acpi.mspx This manual page was written by Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> BUGS
This driver is experimental and has only been tested on CURRENT i386 on an HP Compaq 8510p which featured all supported wireless devices (WWAN/BT/WLAN). Expect undefined results when operating on different hardware. Loading the driver is slow. Reading from /dev/hpcmi is even slower. Additional features like HP specific sensor readings or writing BIOS settings are not supported. BSD
June 30, 2009 BSD