Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removal of new line character in double quotes Post 302422391 by zaxxon on Tuesday 18th of May 2010 09:16:25 AM
Old 05-18-2010
If you have GNU sed for example and there is no more lines of text before or after this snippet you can try:
Code:
sed -e :a -e 'N; s/\n/ /g; ta' infile
"ABCD RENT-A -CAR XYZ LTD","00N0H","Enterprise Lake View Way"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to remove a character which is enclosed in Double quotes

I want to remove the comma which is present within the double quoted string. All other commas which is present outside double quotes should be present. Input : a,b,"cc,dd,ee",f,ii,"jj,kk",mmm output : a,b,"ccddee",f,ii,"jjkk",mmm (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of comma(,) present inbetween double quotes(" ")

Hi Experts, I have a file with some of the records contain double quotes. If I found a double quote(") in any particular record , I need to look for the next double quote in that particular record and in between these quotes, if any comma(,) is there I need to replace with Tilde (~) in the same... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsairam
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace newline character between a double quotes to a space

Hi Guys, I have a file with content as below aj.txt "Iam allfine" abcdef abcd "all is not well" What I'm trying to say is my data has some new line characters in between quoted text. I must get ride of the newline character that comes in between the quoted text. output must be:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajahuja
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Stripping double quotes from front and end of a line

I have a file and some records may contain double quotes at beginning and at end of line. So how do I strip them? For Example, file is somethings like this Field1;Field2;Field3 01;'Test';'Test Field3' "01;'This is 2nd field';This is 3rd field' " Desired Output is: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Double quotes within double quotes in a column with space while loading a CSV file

Hi All, I'm unable to load the data using sql loader where there are double quotes within the double quotes As these are optionally enclosed by double quotes. Sample Data : "221100",138.00,"D","0019/1477","44012075","49938","49938/15043000","Television - 22" Refurbished - Airwave","Supply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of comma within double quotes

Hi All, I am getting .csv file whenever there is a comma present between a field that field get enclosed with double quotes For eg as below abc,123,xxyy,2178 fgh,123,"x,x"yy",2178 ghi,123,"x,xyy",2178 jkl,123,xx"yy,2178 whereas I want my data as per below abc,123,xxyy,2178... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: H_bansal
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removal of multiple characters with in double quotes

For one of my need I was going through post "Removal of new line character in double quotes" Which alister has replied like $ cat data "leave me alone" "ABCD RENT-A- CAR XYZ LTD","00N0H","Enterprise Lake"," 100 View Way" $ sed -n 'H;g;/^*"*\("*"*\)*$/d; s/^\n//; y/\n/ /; p; s/.*//; h'... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jag_1981
9 Replies
Text::ParseWords(3perl) 				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				   Text::ParseWords(3perl)

NAME
Text::ParseWords - parse text into an array of tokens or array of arrays SYNOPSIS
use Text::ParseWords; @lists = nested_quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = quotewords($delim, $keep, @lines); @words = shellwords(@lines); @words = parse_line($delim, $keep, $line); @words = old_shellwords(@lines); # DEPRECATED! DESCRIPTION
The &nested_quotewords() and &quotewords() functions accept a delimiter (which can be a regular expression) and a list of lines and then breaks those lines up into a list of words ignoring delimiters that appear inside quotes. &quotewords() returns all of the tokens in a single long list, while &nested_quotewords() returns a list of token lists corresponding to the elements of @lines. &parse_line() does tokenizing on a single string. The &*quotewords() functions simply call &parse_line(), so if you're only splitting one line you can call &parse_line() directly and save a function call. The $keep argument is a boolean flag. If true, then the tokens are split on the specified delimiter, but all other characters (quotes, backslashes, etc.) are kept in the tokens. If $keep is false then the &*quotewords() functions remove all quotes and backslashes that are not themselves backslash-escaped or inside of single quotes (i.e., &quotewords() tries to interpret these characters just like the Bourne shell). NB: these semantics are significantly different from the original version of this module shipped with Perl 5.000 through 5.004. As an additional feature, $keep may be the keyword "delimiters" which causes the functions to preserve the delimiters in each string as tokens in the token lists, in addition to preserving quote and backslash characters. &shellwords() is written as a special case of &quotewords(), and it does token parsing with whitespace as a delimiter-- similar to most Unix shells. EXAMPLES
The sample program: use Text::ParseWords; @words = quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is "a test" of quotewords "for you}); $i = 0; foreach (@words) { print "$i: <$_> "; $i++; } produces: 0: <this> 1: <is> 2: <a test> 3: <of quotewords> 4: <"for> 5: <you> demonstrating: 0 a simple word 1 multiple spaces are skipped because of our $delim 2 use of quotes to include a space in a word 3 use of a backslash to include a space in a word 4 use of a backslash to remove the special meaning of a double-quote 5 another simple word (note the lack of effect of the backslashed double-quote) Replacing "quotewords('s+', 0, q{this is...})" with "shellwords(q{this is...})" is a simpler way to accomplish the same thing. AUTHORS
Maintainer: Alexandr Ciornii <alexchornyATgmail.com>. Previous maintainer: Hal Pomeranz <pomeranz@netcom.com>, 1994-1997 (Original author unknown). Much of the code for &parse_line() (including the primary regexp) from Joerk Behrends <jbehrends@multimediaproduzenten.de>. Examples section another documentation provided by John Heidemann <johnh@ISI.EDU> Bug reports, patches, and nagging provided by lots of folks-- thanks everybody! Special thanks to Michael Schwern <schwern@envirolink.org> for assuring me that a &nested_quotewords() would be useful, and to Jeff Friedl <jfriedl@yahoo-inc.com> for telling me not to worry about error-checking (sort of-- you had to be there). perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 Text::ParseWords(3perl)