Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Appending file extensions to filenames in bash scripts Post 302422266 by ladyAnne on Tuesday 18th of May 2010 02:29:15 AM
Old 05-18-2010
Appending file extensions to filenames in bash scripts

Hi

Suppose I have a variable called filename and it it contains the name of a file. I then would like to append an extension to that filename. The filename currently has no extensions.
How do I do this?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Scripts - File generating

Forgive the daft requests - I'm still a learner :D I need a script so that I can test another script (I'm confused already) The script I am looking for should generate a new file in the same directory (called newfile1 or what ever) and also generate text within the new file (Hello world? What... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayC89
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Appending text to a number of similar filenames

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to append something to filenames based on a wildcard. For example, if I have the following files in a directory: blah1 blah2 blah3 blah4 blah5 I want to rename these all to: blah1.txt blah2.txt blah3.txt blah4.txt blah5.txt Is there a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: reading filenames from file

Hi, I'm trying to write a script that reads filenames from a file and use these filenames in a loop. The filenames are all on one line and the problem is that these filenames have wildcards like * and braces like in them. Right now what I'm doing is something like this: echo "reading from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: warp17
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

link scripts to file extensions for tab completion

Is there a way to link a script in my ~/bin with file extension priority for tab completion? for example, if the script I have could only look at .tex files, and I have 6 files in the same directory with the same name, but different extensions: index.tex index.dvi index.toc ... etc... it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyramation
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the Bash Scripts to Bourne Scripts:URGENT

Hi, I have to write a program to compute the checksums of files ./script.sh I wrote the program using bash and it took me forever since I am a beginner but it works very well. I'm getting so close to the deadline and I realised today that actually I have to use normal Bourne shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgarg1989
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Appending to specific line in file

I'm working on a personal project, a multiplication quiz script for my kids. In it, the user's performance will be recorded and written to a file. After they've played it a little while, it will start to focus more on the ones that give them the most trouble-- that take a long time to answer or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending date to UNIX Filenames

Hello, I have a file name in the below format and have to append the date as _$currdate. kchik_UK_lo.txt_$currdate. The above should be the format and I dont want to put entire filename as above in the code, but it should give me the output as the above filename.Can anyone please help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: harika03
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing hive scripts in bash script file

Hi, I wanted to load data from HDFS to HIVE by writing bash script. Description: I have written a bash script to validate the data and loaded validated data from local file system to HDFS. Now in the same bash script i wanted to load the data from HDFS to HIVE. How can i do it ? Also how tyhe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing Hbase and pig scripts in the bash script file

Hi, I have a script file where i'm validatig the input file and storing the validated records on HDFS. I wanted to load data from HDFS to HBASE using pig script. So for that i have created a HBASE table and written pig script to load data from HDFS to HBASE which is working fine. Now i wanted... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shree11
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Can I view Bash POSIX extensions?

Hello.. and thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer me to figure this out I'm reading about the about the Bash shell... and I've read from many sources that to make Bash POSIX compliant it needs "extensions"... Which sounds to me like something I should be able to load or unload into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies
ASNTOOL(1)						     NCBI Tools User's Manual							ASNTOOL(1)

NAME
asntool - process ASN.1 module specifications SYNOPSIS
asntool [-] [-B filename] [-D N] [-G] [-I str] [-J type] [-K str] [-L str] [-M filename,...] [-P str] [-Q] [-S filename] [-T filename] [-V] [-X filename] [-Z] [-b N] [-d filename] [-e filename] [-f filename] [-l filename] -m filename [-o filename] [-p filename] [-t str] [-v filename] [-w N] [-x filename] DESCRIPTION
asntool reads, validates, and displays ASN.1 module specifications. OPTIONS
A summary of options is included below. - Print usage message -B filename Generate objects and code in files named filename.* -D N Debugging level for code generation: 0 No debugging (default) 1 Shallow debugging 2 Deep debugging 3-9 Same as 2 -G Generate object loader .c and .h files -I str Put "#include str" in generated .c file -J type Register type type with object manager -K str In generated .c, force name of #included asn header to str -L str Label registered type as str -M filename,... Search the ASN.1 modules in filename,... for external references -P str XML module prefix for DOCTYPE -Q Use quoted syntax form for generated include files -S filename Send debugging output to filename rather than stderr -T filename Dump ASN.1 tree to filename -V Force CHOICE objects to use custom structures rather than ValNodePtrs, for compatibility with some old hand-coded object loaders. -X filename Write XML DTD to filename. If filename is "m", print each module to a separate file. -Z Bit twiddle for optional zero value base slots -b N Use N-byte buffers (default = 1024; anything between 512 and 10000 is legal) -d filename Read binary values from filename (requires -t) -e filename Write binary values to filename -f filename Write ASN.1 module to filename -l filename Write ASN.1 loader to filename -m filename Read ASN.1 module from filename -o filename Write header to filename -p filename Write print values to filename -t str Expect binary values to have type str -v filename Read print values from filename -w N Limit values in #defines to N bits (default = 31; anything between 31 and 128 is legal) -x filename Write XML data to filename AUTHOR
The National Center for Biotechnology Information. NCBI
2010-09-01 ASNTOOL(1)