Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Can we use a solaris box as a web server? Post 302421760 by solaris_user on Sunday 16th of May 2010 03:17:45 AM
Old 05-16-2010
Not just for Web server , with Solaris zones you can easily set up apache, mail, dhcp, mail server . Most of all is important that Solaris is very very capable to serve this servers because Solaris itself is one of most stable OS in world.

Heck, with Solaris zones you can easily protect whole network if you configure Solaris to work as cheap x86 firewall

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Info Needed in Seting up An apache Web Server on A Sun Sparc with Solaris 8

I need help in the form of the complete procedures necessary in setting up an Apache web server on a Sun Sparc running Solaris 8 David Johnston P.S New to the Unix arena (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: David Johnston
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

i'm pulling my hair out getting a solaris 8 box to work as a caching name server

i've gone through the sun docs as well as a Solaris Network Admin book. while the book is fair, it lacks detail and i'm sure there are things it's missing on getting a caching only name server working. as for the sun docs... what it has is really miserable. i can't make anything out of it. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 7 & 9, Iplannet 4.1 and Sun One Web Server 6.1

Hey all, I was wondering whether anyone could give me any tips. I'm a total newcomer when it comes to Solaris and i need to dothe following: Current System: Solaris 7 running IPlannet 4.1: Upgrade (Preserving current data) to: Solaris 9 running Sun ONE Web Server 6.1 Has anyone... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJD
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 7 & 9, Iplannet 4.1 and Sun ONE web server 6.1

Hey all, I was wondering whether anyone could give me any tips. I'm a total newcomer when it comes to Solaris and i need to dothe following: Current System: Solaris 7 running IPlannet 4.1: Upgrade (Preserving current data) to: Solaris 9 running Sun ONE Web Server 6.1 Has anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AJD
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

VPN client (windows Box),and Server (Unix Box)

If I want to access unix box via VPN tunnel,from windows box. What sould I configure on the windows client PC, and what should I enable on the Unix Server box ? I am using Solaris V10 intel platform, and I am using windows XP, and 2003 for client (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zillah
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting a file from win3k server on to my solaris 9 box

Hey guys, Please don't lynch me for asking this question but I'm trying to get a file from a windows 2k3 server and store it on one of my Solaris 9 machines (automated in cron or something weekly) so I can then store it to tape. I'm just trying to think of the best way to get the file and I'm... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingdbag
10 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 9 Web Start Upgrade using -nowin - still complains about X server

Hi there. I'm trying to upgrade a Sun Blade 100 to Solaris 9. I downloaded and burned the install, disc 1, disc 2 and tools CDs from Sun. I turned off auto-boot, put in the CD and enter the following: # boot cdrom -nowin The cdrom boot starts, and I get prompted to choose a language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calenti
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris box to AD,Exchange server 2003

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I am trying to add a solaris box to server 2003, it is an active directory and exchange server. I have succeeded in adding it to network in general -- meaning I can access the server and xp files over the network. But what I want to do is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sofakingjewish
3 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

SQL Server import csv or txt on a Solaris box

New to using sql server and unix, but say I have here /home/foo/file.txt Can I use some kind of process to push that .txt into a sql server? Or Is there a sql server utility that can be configured to find a unix box and go into /home/foo/file.txt and slurp it up:) Or is there any PC and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
5 Replies
mailcompat(1)							   User Commands						     mailcompat(1)

NAME
mailcompat - provide SunOS compatibility for Solaris mailbox format DESCRIPTION
mailcompat is a program to provide SunOS 4.x compatability for the Solaris mailbox format. You would typically run mailcompat to be able to read mail on a workstation running SunOS 4.x when your mail server is running Solaris. Enabling mailcompat creates an entry in your .forward file, if it exists. If this file does not exist, mailcompat will create it. Dis- abling mailcompat will remove the entry from the .forward file, and if this was the only entry, will remove the entire file. To execute mailcompat, log onto the Solaris mail server and enter mailcompat on the command line. Answer the queries provided by the pro- gram. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mailcompat when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Examples of the mailcompat feature. The following example enables the mailcompat feature for the user "john". example% mailcompat This program can be used to store your mail in a format that you can read with SunOS 4.X based mail readers To enable the mailcompat feature a ".forward" file is created. Would you like to enable the mailcompat feature? Y Mailcompat feature ENABLED.Run mailcompat with no arguments to remove it example% The following example disables the mailcompat feature for the user "john". example% mailcompat This program can be used to store your mail in a format that you can read with SunOS 4.X based mail readers You have a .forward file in your home directory containing: "|/usr/bin/mailcompat johns" Would you like to remove it and disable the mailcompat feature? y Back to normal reception of mail. example% FILES
~/.forward list of recipients for forwarding messages ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mailx(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) SunOS 5.11 4 Aug 1994 mailcompat(1)