Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: perl limitations vs. bash?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl limitations vs. bash? Post 302420916 by m1xram on Thursday 13th of May 2010 12:08:58 AM
Old 05-13-2010
Wikipedia [needs citation]

lol, Wikipedia. It "needs citation" because it is wrong. Would you prefer to learn less over a greater time, with a NON-steep learning curve?

The steeper the curve the more knowledge you get in less time. As the slope approaches infinity you instantaneously know more. Think Matrix upload to your brain.

I wish people would stop using this term, it's embarrassing.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mkdir limitations

What characters can't be used with a mkdir? Any limits on length of name? Thank you, Randy M. Zeitman http://www.StoneRoseDesign.com (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: flignar
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Sort - Limitations

Hi All, I want to sort a flat file which will contain millions of records based on a key/field. For this I want to use unix sort command and before that I want to make sure that unix sort command has any file size limitations. And also please let me know whether I have to change any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chprvkmr
2 Replies

3. AIX

SORT Command Limitations

Hi every body, On AIX 4.3.3 what is the maximum file size that can be used with sort command? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aldowsary
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csplit limitations

I am trying to use the csplit file on a file that contains records that have more than 2048 characters on a line. The resultant split file seems to ignore the rest of the line and I lose the data. Is there any way that csplit can handle record lengths greater than 2048? Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravagga
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password limitations.

I would like to set my minimum password length to on Linux and AIX. However, doing this normally would only make it so newly added users will be affected by this. I would like for when I make this change, it either truncates everyone elses password, or prompts them to change it to 8+ characters.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syndex
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable from bash to perl from bash script

Hi All, I need to pass a variable to perl script from bash script, where in perl i am using if condition. Here is the cmd what i am using in perl FROM_DATE="06/05/2008" TO_DATE="07/05/2008" "perl -ne ' print if ( $_ >="$FROM_DATE" && $_ <= "$TO_DATE" ) ' filename" filename has... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: arsidh
10 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

gnuplot limitations

I'm running a simulation (programmed in C) which makes calls to gnuplot periodically to plot data I have stored. First I open a pipe to gnuplot and set it to multiplot: FILE * pipe = popen("gnuplot", "w"); fprintf(pipe, "set multiplot\n"); fflush(pipe); (this pipe stays open until the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sedavidw
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

Eth0 Limitations

Hi, I have noticed some performance issues on my RHEL5 server but the memory and CPU utilization on the box is fine. I have a 1G full duplexed eth0 card and I am suspicious that this may be causing the problem. My eth0 settings are as follows: Settings for eth0: Supported ports: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
12 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris limitations

Hi, I recently started working with Solaris, and what I noticed is that a lot of commands I used to regularly use don't work, like sed -i and grep -r. I have found work arounds for these problems though but it's a pain in the ass. I'm just wondering why they decided not to include these handy... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
4 Replies

10. Linux

Linux partitions and limitations

In recently reading an article on linux basics before I embark and my personal installation project I came across this passage - IDE drives have three types of partition: primary, logical, and extended. The partition table is located in the master boot record (MBR) of a disk. The MBR is the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Synchlavier
12 Replies
Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)

NAME
Alien::Package::Rpm - an object that represents a rpm package DESCRIPTION
This is an object class that represents a rpm package. It is derived from Alien::Package. FIELDS
prefixes Relocatable rpm packages have a prefixes field. METHODS
checkfile Detect rpm files by their extention. install Install a rpm. If RPMINSTALLOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. scan Implement the scan method to read a rpm file. unpack Implement the unpack method to unpack a rpm file. This is a little nasty because it has to handle relocatable rpms and has to do a bit of permissions fixing as well. prep Prepare for package building by generating the spec file. cleantree Delete the spec file. build Build a rpm. If RPMBUILDOPT is set in the environement, the options in it are passed to rpm on its command line. An optional parameter, if passed, can be used to specify the program to use to build the rpm. It defaults to rpmbuild. version Set/get version. When retreiving the version, remove any dashes in it. postinst postrm preinst prerm Set/get script fields. When retrieving a value, we have to do some truely sick mangling. Since debian/slackware scripts can be anything -- perl programs or binary files -- and rpm is limited to only shell scripts, we need to encode the files and add a scrap of shell script to make it unextract and run on the fly. When setting a value, we do some mangling too. Rpm maintainer scripts are typically shell scripts, but often lack the leading shebang line. This can confuse dpkg, so add the shebang if it looks like there is no shebang magic already in place. Additionally, it's not uncommon for rpm maintainer scripts to contain bashisms, which can be triggered when they are ran on systems where /bin/sh is not bash. To work around this, the shebang line of the scripts is changed to use bash. Also, if the rpm is relocatable, the script could refer to RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, which is set by rpm at run time. Deal with this by adding code to the script to set RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX. arch Set/get arch field. When the arch field is set, some sanitizing is done first to convert it to the debian format used internally. When it's retreived it's converted back to rpm form from the internal form. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> perl v5.12.3 2011-06-11 Alien::Package::Rpm(3pm)