Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat controlling tool running on Linux VM fron Windows Post 302420328 by ilyaz on Tuesday 11th of May 2010 09:54:18 AM
Old 05-11-2010
controlling tool running on Linux VM fron Windows

I have a virtual machine with RedHat. It has a command-line tool X that takes an input file + some control parameters, performs some processing and generates some input files. I have a Windows XP/Server 2003 box where an app Y is running. What I need to do is to control X from Y. That is, given an input file, I have to feed this file from Y to X, have X process the file and then Y collect the results. Y would be running either on the host Windows machine using VM Player or on a separate box. Input files might be quite large. I need a solution that would be of production level quality. What would be the best approach to this? I presume I will need to develop some components both on the Windows side and the Linux side that would communicate with each other, send input and output files etc. What would these components be? The VM has a Redhat Enterprise install, so I have access to gcc, but not sure which other development tools. Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Running MS-windows GUI from unix/linux

Hi i need some help , i would like to run a GUI application on windows from unix i dont need to see the gui just to activate it from remote . it shoud be from CLI on the unix . thanks GUY (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koreng
1 Replies

2. Linux

Running Linux File Manager on Windows XP

OK: apologies (well) in advance if this is as stupid a question as it gets. I need to change the 'owner' on certain files and folders within my Linux web hosting account. Unfortunately I use Windows XP and now need some kind of Windows application that can open a window within XP that lets me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Boa Prinz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for administration tool to check if services are running

Hi! We are having problems with our unix servers (SunOS 5.9) that services for some of our applications are continuously going down. (this is more due to the applications installed than the UNIX OS). What I am looking for is some kind of administrative tool where I can set what service to scan... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: erinor
1 Replies

4. Linux

Running Windows "inside" a Linux-like OS?

I'd like to know if it's possible to run Windows "inside" a Linux-like OS similar to how you can run Linux in Windows, rather than dual-booting them both. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I want to do some serious parallel computing which Windows isn't even capable of at the moment... But I'd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: heliotos
6 Replies

5. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

controlling traffic source from NIC eth0, eth1 in Linux

Hi Guys, is there a way to send traffic coming from the source iface (eth0, eth1)? i need to test traffic that will come from both eth0 and eth1 from a Linux box. Thanks, Martin (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdap
0 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Controlling AIX processes remotely using a NET app on a Windows server?

I have a .NET application that remotely starts, stops, and gets status of Windows services and scheduled tasks. I would like to add the capability of starting, stopping, and getting status of remote AIX applications also. Based on some preliminary research, one option may be to use 3rd party .NET... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: auser1
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Linux Script from Windows

forgive me if i am posting this question in wrong forum. I have a rsync script that runs on one server for rsync with another server (both linux) . Now I want to get control of that script from my windows 7 machine. Means I want to run that script from my windows machine whenever i want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HarryReid
1 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Sys headers - running Linux C code on windows

Hi All, I wanted to run a small socket application written in C on windows. The code was written for GNU/linux..the compiler on windows CodeBlocks complains about the sys headers. is there an equivalent for windows ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

RHEL Linux process activity monitoring tool from windows 7 system

I have 2 RHEL 5.9 system where customized applications are running. These 2 servers are with in a network (LAN) with each other.One application in say Server 1 can talk to another application in server 2 and vice versa. The applications are exchanging data among each other. Recently I am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan Ganguly
0 Replies
FINDSMB(1)							   User Commands							FINDSMB(1)

NAME
findsmb - list info about machines that respond to SMB name queries on a subnet SYNOPSIS
findsmb [subnet broadcast address] DESCRIPTION
This perl script is part of the samba(7) suite. findsmb is a perl script that prints out several pieces of information about machines on a subnet that respond to SMB name query requests. It uses nmblookup(1) and smbclient(1) to obtain this information. OPTIONS
-r Controls whether findsmb takes bugs in Windows95 into account when trying to find a Netbios name registered of the remote machine. This option is disabled by default because it is specific to Windows 95 and Windows 95 machines only. If set, nmblookup(1) will be called with -B option. subnet broadcast address Without this option, findsmb will probe the subnet of the machine where findsmb(1) is run. This value is passed to nmblookup(1) as part of the -B option. EXAMPLES
The output of findsmb lists the following information for all machines that respond to the initial nmblookup for any name: IP address, NetBIOS name, Workgroup name, operating system, and SMB server version. There will be a '+' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are local master browsers for that workgroup. There will be an '*' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are the domain master browser for that workgroup. Machines that are running Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95 or Windows 98 will not show any information about the operating system or server version. The command with -r option must be run on a system without nmbd(8) running. If nmbd is running on the system, you will only get the IP address and the DNS name of the machine. To get proper responses from Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines, the command must be run as root and with -r option on a machine without nmbd running. For example, running findsmb without -r option set would yield output similar to the following IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION --------------------------------------------------------------------- 192.168.35.10 MINESET-TEST1 [DMVENGR] 192.168.35.55 LINUXBOX *[MYGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.6] 192.168.35.56 HERBNT2 [HERB-NT] 192.168.35.63 GANDALF [MVENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.5a for IRIX] 192.168.35.65 SAUNA [WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 1.9.18p10] 192.168.35.71 FROGSTAR [ENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.0 for IRIX] 192.168.35.78 HERBDHCP1 +[HERB] 192.168.35.88 SCNT2 +[MVENGR] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] 192.168.35.93 FROGSTAR-PC [MVENGR] [Windows 5.0] [Windows 2000 LAN Manager] 192.168.35.97 HERBNT1 *[HERB-NT] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8), smbclient(1), and nmblookup(1) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 FINDSMB(1)