Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users AIX: Finding processes attached to shared memory Post 302419222 by DreamWarrior on Thursday 6th of May 2010 02:05:00 PM
Old 05-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ygemici
let happen help to you output pmap command ?
Code:
pmap $pid

pmap (in Linux) will show shared memory attachments. Unfortunatly pmap does not exist for AIX and it's "equivallent" as listed by IBM (procmap) doesn't show shared memory attachments.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

memory problem in AIX shared libraries

Hi All, I'm facing the following issue with my shared libraries in AIX. memory related calls such as memset, memcpy, malloc etc are failing miserably. there is something wrong with stack/memory which i can't guess. i've used the following flags to build my libraray: ld -G... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinav05252
0 Replies

2. AIX

finding memory frequency on vio server in aix

is it possible to find out memory frequency(speed) in vio server in aix? Regards Manoj (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finding shared memory

Using pmap, I was able to get a memory map of an Oracle process. It had the following id: 0000000380000000 4194320K rwxsR Converting that Hex ID to decimal gave: 352321658 So, then I did ipcs -am: IPC status from <running system> as of Thu Jun 18 15:43:17 MDT 2009 T ID ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anilj
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Processes in Shared Memory

Hello , I would like to know how to check if a given process id belongs to particualr shared memory segment . Please help Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Discrepancy in finding the top memory consuming processes

When I run 'top' command,I see the following Memory: 32G real, 12G free, 96G swap free Though it shows as 12G free,I am not able to account for processes that consume the rest 20G. In my understanding some process should be consuming atleast 15-16 G but I am not able to find them. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

processes and shared memory

Hi again! I have 2 questions ..: How can i create exactly one number of processes ? For example i want to create l*n processes and i tried this: for(i=0;i<l*n;i++){ pid=fork()} But it creates more than l*n Also, i want each child to run another x.c program with 3 command line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giampoul
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

processes and shared memory

Hi again! I have 2 questions ..: How can i create exactly one number of processes ? For example i want to create l*n processes and i tried this: for(i=0;i<l*n;i++){ pid=fork()} But it creates more than l*n Also, i want each child to run another x.c program with 3 command line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: giampoul
1 Replies

8. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the most memory consuming processes in Linux

Platform: Oracle Linux 6.4 To find the most memory consuming processes, I tried the following 2 methods 1. Method1 # ps aux | head -1 ; ps aux | sort -nk +4 | tail -7 USER PID %CPU %MEM VSZ RSS TTY STAT START TIME COMMAND root 95 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

10. AIX

AIX memory usage by processes

Hi, i have 2 identical web servers using AIX. I use nmon analyser to check their performance. The server A exceeds 20% memory usage for system, 5% for cache and the rest 75% for processes. While, it uses 4% of Paging Space. The server B exceeds 20% for system, 45% for cache and 35% for processes.... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: dim
24 Replies
shmop(2)							System Calls Manual							  shmop(2)

NAME
shmat(), shmdt() - shared memory operations SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
attaches the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier specified by shmid to the data segment of the calling process. The segment is attached for reading if (shmflg is "true"; otherwise, it is attached for reading and writing. It is not possible to attach a segment for write only. If the shared memory segment has never been attached to by any process prior to the current call, shmaddr must be specified as zero and the segment is attached at a location selected by the operating system. That location is identical in all processes accessing that shared mem- ory object. Once the operating system selects a location for a shared memory segment, the same location will be used across any subsequent and calls on the segment until it is removed by the operation of See exceptions for MPAS processes below. If this is not the first call on the shared memory segment throughout the system, shmaddr must either be zero or contain a nonzero address that is identical to the one returned from previous calls for that segment. Even if no processes are currently attached to the segment, as long as the segment has been attached before, the same rule applies. See exceptions for MPAS processes below. If the calling process is already attached to the shared memory segment, fails and returns regardless of what value is passed in shmaddr. See exceptions for MPAS processes below. detaches from the calling process's data segment the shared memory segment located at the address specified by shmaddr. Exceptions for MPAS Processes On Itanium(R)-based platforms, MPAS (Mostly Private Address Space) processes are not restricted to passing in zero or a fixed value to calls to MPAS processes may pass in other addresses. The call may fail or succeed due to implementation dependent reasons. MGAS processes have all the restrictions outlined above. In addition, an MGAS process may not assume that it can attach at the address that an MPAS process can use to attach to the same segment. An MPAS process may be able to attach to the same shared memory segment multiple times. Success or failure of such an operation is imple- mentation dependent. Failure will be indicated by a return value of An MPAS process should specify or flags in the call to These follow the same rules as such flags passed to shmget(2). See the for details. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. n is the data segment start address of the attached shared memory segment. Failure. The shared memory segment is not attached. is set to indicate the error. The symbol is defined in the header No successful return from will return the value returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EACCES] Operation permission is denied to the calling process. [EINVAL] shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier, (possibly because the shared memory segment was already removed using shmctl(2) with or the calling process is already attached to shmid. [EINVAL] shmaddr is not zero and the machine does not permit nonzero values, or shmaddr is not equal to the current attach location for the shared memory segment. [ENOMEM] The available data space is not large enough to accommodate the shared memory segment. [EMFILE] The number of shared memory segments attached to the calling process exceed the system-imposed limit. If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EINVAL] shmaddr is not the data segment start address of a shared memory segment. EXAMPLES
The following call to attaches the shared memory segment to the process. This example assumes the process has a valid shmid, which can be obtained by calling shmget(2). The following call to then detaches the shared memory segment. SEE ALSO
ipcs(1), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), ftok(3C), shmctl(2), shmget(2), privileges(5). in STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
shmop(2)