Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking if the files in a directory have a txt extension Post 302419003 by pantelis on Thursday 6th of May 2010 06:18:02 AM
Old 05-06-2010
thx guys! i will try them out!

---------- Post updated at 05:18 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:05 AM ----------

Code:
#!/bash/csh -f

foreach file ($argv/*)

echo $file |grep -q "\.htm"     
  if($status == 0) then
  ./aa1 $file
  endif

end

ok guys i tried this, and it worked. but it works only for "argv" and argv is a argument, a directory i pass to the script.
how can i go through other directories inside the "argv" ?
like, if i call the the script,
script1 /home
i want it to check also all the folders in /home. isn't it supposed to do so with "-r" ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking files extension

Hi, I need one line command to display all files that ends with .scr. Example: In a directory I have 10 files, out of that 4 files have filetype extension .dat and 4 files with .scr and 2 files with .txt.... In this i want to display only files that ends with .scr. I tried some commands,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List all files except *.txt in a directory

I have many types of files (Eg: *.log, *.rpt, *.txt, *.dat) in a directory. I want to display all file types except *.txt. What is the command to display all files except "*.txt" (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy files with new extension in same directory

I've been able to find all the extensionless files named photos using the command: find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -name photos -print0 I need to copy those files to the name photos.php in their same directory. I've found a bunch of xarg examples for moving to other directories but I wasn't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rusty with cp command -- how to cp all .doc files with .txt extension

I'm rusty with cp, so I was wondering: is it possible to cp all the .doc files in a folder and make them .txt files? Can you use cp to do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Straitsfan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files with same name but different extension from 2 different directory

Hi all, i have 2 directory of files, the first directory(ext1directory) contain files of extension .ext1 and the second directory(allextdirectory) contains files of multiple extensions (.ext1,.ext2,.ext3,..) so i want to copy the files from directory 2(allextdirectory) that have the same name... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shelladdict
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Giving files .txt extension

Hi there, I have around 145,000 files with no file extension in this directory - /home/adams/29: The file name varies but all end with a number from 0 - 9, e.g. TTFILE_BAT_235496, CCNHATA_RFC_23455 I want to give all these 145,000 .txt extension. Please how do I do that? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Creems
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking in a directory how many files are present and basing on that merge all the files

Hi, My requirement is,there is a directory location like: :camp/current/ In this location there can be different flat files that are generated in a single day with same header and the data will be different, differentiated by timestamp, so i need to verify how many files are generated... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanth_sagi
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with *.i extension in a directory and all its subdirectories + 30days old then remove

I need to write a script to : list files with *.i extension in a directory and all its subdirectories + 30days old, save it in a file and then remove (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lena keung
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all files with specific extension in directory tree

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but a search didn't turn up a definitive best method for this (if there ever is such a thing). I have been using rsync to back up my main data directory, but I have accumulated a large number of older backups that I don't need. All of the files I don't... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Save files in directory as txt

wget -x -i link.txt The above downloads and create unique entries for the 97 links in the text file. However, each new file is saved as CM080 with a FILE extention. Is there a way to convert each file in that directory to a .txt? The 97 files are in... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
12 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)