Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Which OS you use for Desktop
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Which OS you use for Desktop Post 302418815 by Scott on Wednesday 5th of May 2010 12:09:47 PM
Old 05-05-2010
No-one said it has to be Solaris, right Smilie

Code:
$ system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType
Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573)
      Kernel Version: Darwin 10.3.0

and loving it Smilie

But I've been using this one at work most of the day:
Code:
# cat /etc/release
                     Solaris 8 HW 7/03 s28s_hw3wos_05a SPARC
           Copyright 2003 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                             Assembled 11 June 2003

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

customizing desktop

I need help editing my openwin file. I've got it all set up so the options I normally use (xman, cmdtools, xeyes, printtool) automatically come up when I log on, but it won't read my -geometry entries. I got them by right-clicking on the desktop, but apparently they need to be entered a certain... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdienlin
0 Replies

2. Solaris

i cant get to my desktop

i just tryed to install solaris 10.. it installed fine.. but when i restarted it and tried to use it.. i get a message that says: The X server cannot be started on display :0... what do i do? :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiimcody1
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cant get into desktop

I am a newb linux user. And i am running suse 9.3 pro. When i first installed it a couple of days ago, it booted into the desktop fine the first four or five times. And not when i turn on my computer and boot linux and loads the devices, then it prompts me... UserName: Password: (which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: derekmpage
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

desktop cube

hey. i was wondering if some one could tell me how to get install this on my open suse linux. http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl it looks pretty handy, but im new to linux and im unsure how to proceed. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

remote desktop

i want to access my group users desktop. can i did that by using xwd and xwud? else what can i do for that? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Desktop Resolution

Hi friends, i had small problem in my home pc i install solaris 10 but GUI is very big cannot view any thing, but i can open terminal where with very difficulty is there any command to re size my resolution some thing like 1024. if not i want to log in default console other than GUI only terminal... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kurva
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

framebuffer desktop

How to set up a framebuffer desktop (environment) / no X desktop (environment)? In my case: Debian etch, allready with framebuffer but I mean that I have in framebuffer all I use in X - also read pdf (without hanging up the whole system..) and so on. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
3 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Which is best OS for Desktop

We are going to use Linux Desktop systems. Which one will be the best option ? I prefer CentOS , but in CentOS which one ? I heard fedora will take more Ram space..!! is it ? P.S 1. Users are developers , with eclipse , java , tomcat webserver etc. 2. System Configuration ~: 2GB ,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxadmin
8 Replies

9. Linux

Linux Desktop OS

Right, I know this topic has more or less been done to death, however, I'm bringing it up again. I'm planning on moving to Linux as a full time desktop OS for my home system. I don't want to run a security distro, or anything that runs as root and just use my Windows OS in a VM when I need to use... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3therk1ll
11 Replies
SYSTEM_PROFILER(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					SYSTEM_PROFILER(8)

NAME
system_profiler -- reports system hardware and software configuration. SYNOPSIS
system_profiler [-usage] system_profiler [-listDataTypes] system_profiler [-xml] dataType1 ... dataTypeN system_profiler [-xml] [-detailLevel level] DESCRIPTION
system_profiler reports on the hardware and software configuration of the system. It can generate plain text reports or XML reports which can be opened with System Information.app Progress and error messages are printed to stderr while actual report data is printed to stdout. Redirect stderr to /dev/null to suppress progress and error messages. The following options are available: -xml Generates a report in XML format. If the XML report is redirected to a file with a ".spx" suffix that file can be opened with System Information.app. -listDataTypes Lists the available datatypes. -detailLevel level Specifies the level of detail for the report: mini report with no personal information basic basic hardware and network information full all available information -timeout Specifies the maximum time to wait in seconds for results. If some information is not available within the specified time limit then an incomplete or partial report will be generated. The default timeout is 180 seconds. Specifying a time- out of 0 means no timeout. -usage Prints usage info and examples. EXAMPLES
system_profiler Generates a text report with the standard detail level. system_profiler -detailLevel mini Generates a short report containing no personal information. system_profiler -listDataTypes Shows a list of the available data types. system_profiler SPSoftwareDataType SPNetworkDataType Generates a text report containing only software and network data. system_profiler -xml > MyReport.spx Creates a XML file which can be opened by System Profiler.app AUTHORS
Apple Computer, Inc. Darwin June 30, 2003 Darwin