Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Partition management: lvm? fdisk? parted? (on RAID) Post 302417800 by builder88 on Friday 30th of April 2010 06:52:02 PM
Old 04-30-2010
Partition management: lvm? fdisk? parted? (on RAID)

Hello,

I have a RHEL system with two 500GB hard drives in RAID 1 (I think hardware, but not 100% certain - any way to tell?).

It looks like it was just set up in default configuration with a small boot partition and one huge partition for the rest, which composes a LVM volume.

I want to break that partition up into at least two separate ones. What I am wondering is:

* What's the difference between using fdisk and parted? Any reason to use one over the other?

* Should I just use lvm instead to shrink the current volume and create a second one? Is there a down-side to use logical volumes without creating a physical partition with fdisk/parted?

* Being that there are already two disks in RAID 1 configuration, does partitioning with lvm or fdisk/parted transparently propagate to the mirror disk or do I need to do something to partition BOTH drives?

Thanks in advance!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

recovery partition table from fdisk?

I have two disks on a sun blade 100. I just installed a solaris8 on the first disk. The installation was successful. But the problem is now I lost all data / partition on my second hard disk. The possible reason could be: 1. I used default web start install. During the installation I didn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: motor98
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fdisk v/s parted

Just started understanding linux filesystem and partition utilities. I was going though some video tutorials by CBT nuggets and the author was cursing fdisk as fuzzy tool and recommending to use parted instead. In our job environment i have seen almost every one using fdisk utility for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Partition with parted

Hello folks, I have 2.4TB san storage i want to make 4 partition each having 600GB. I use fdisk but not possible to do this because of fdisk limitation. So i tried parted but it make 2.4TB one partition but with parted not possible to make 4 partition having 600GB, may be i m doing wrong, can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to convert non LVM root partition to LVM?

Hi Guys, I m using redhat 6, I have installed root partition as non-LVM . Is there any way i can convert it to LVM? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Non-interactive fdisk partition in script

Hi, How can I run fdisk partition in a script without interactive input? In manual procedure, I run fdisk device, select n, select p, presess enter for default start number (1), press enter to default end number, then select w for writing to the partition table. The command looks like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hce
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Can I change the partition type with fdisk without disrupting data?

Hello, I have been going through our environment and I see we have a few servers with LVM's setup and the file system type is still set to "83" within fdisk. If I change this to "8e", will it hurt the data or cause any loss? I need to know for sure before I make the change. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s ladd
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RAID autodetect in fdisk -l

Hello, Please refer to the below output: # fdisk -l /dev/sda Disk /dev/sda: 598.9 GB, 598999040000 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 72824 cylinders Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System /dev/sda1 * ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_db
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using parted command to create LVM partitions

Oracle Linux 6.6 To create Physical Volumes for Volume groups (LVM) , the disk need to be partitioned to LVM type ie. 'Linux LVM' type . In fdisk , this can done by choosing 8e when prompted for partition type. Since it is easy to script (non-interactive), I use parted command rather than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: John K
1 Replies
RESIZE2FS(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      RESIZE2FS(8)

NAME
resize2fs - ext2/ext3/ext4 file system resizer SYNOPSIS
resize2fs [ -fFpPM ] [ -d debug-flags ] [ -S RAID-stride ] device [ size ] DESCRIPTION
The resize2fs program will resize ext2, ext3, or ext4 file systems. It can be used to enlarge or shrink an unmounted file system located on device. If the filesystem is mounted, it can be used to expand the size of the mounted filesystem, assuming the kernel supports on-line resizing. (As of this writing, the Linux 2.6 kernel supports on-line resize for filesystems mounted using ext3 and ext4.). The size parameter specifies the requested new size of the filesystem. If no units are specified, the units of the size parameter shall be the filesystem blocksize of the filesystem. Optionally, the size parameter may be suffixed by one of the following the units designators: 's', 'K', 'M', or 'G', for 512 byte sectors, kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes, respectively. The size of the filesystem may never be larger than the size of the partition. If size parameter is not specified, it will default to the size of the partition. Note: when kilobytes is used above, I mean real, power-of-2 kilobytes, (i.e., 1024 bytes), which some politically correct folks insist should be the stupid-sounding ``kibibytes''. The same holds true for megabytes, also sometimes known as ``mebibytes'', or gigabytes, as the amazingly silly ``gibibytes''. Makes you want to gibber, doesn't it? The resize2fs program does not manipulate the size of partitions. If you wish to enlarge a filesystem, you must make sure you can expand the size of the underlying partition first. This can be done using fdisk(8) by deleting the partition and recreating it with a larger size or using lvextend(8), if you're using the logical volume manager lvm(8). When recreating the partition, make sure you create it with the same starting disk cylinder as before! Otherwise, the resize operation will certainly not work, and you may lose your entire filesystem. After running fdisk(8), run resize2fs to resize the ext2 filesystem to use all of the space in the newly enlarged partition. If you wish to shrink an ext2 partition, first use resize2fs to shrink the size of filesystem. Then you may use fdisk(8) to shrink the size of the partition. When shrinking the size of the partition, make sure you do not make it smaller than the new size of the ext2 filesystem! OPTIONS
-d debug-flags Turns on various resize2fs debugging features, if they have been compiled into the binary. debug-flags should be computed by adding the numbers of the desired features from the following list: 2 - Debug block relocations 4 - Debug inode relocations 8 - Debug moving the inode table 16 - Print timing information 32 - Debug minimum filesystem size (-M) calculation -f Forces resize2fs to proceed with the filesystem resize operation, overriding some safety checks which resize2fs normally enforces. -F Flush the filesystem device's buffer caches before beginning. Only really useful for doing resize2fs time trials. -M Shrink the filesystem to the minimum size. -p Prints out a percentage completion bars for each resize2fs operation during an offline resize, so that the user can keep track of what the program is doing. -P Print the minimum size of the filesystem and exit. -S RAID-stride The resize2fs program will heuristically determine the RAID stride that was specified when the filesystem was created. This option allows the user to explicitly specify a RAID stride setting to be used by resize2fs instead. KNOWN BUGS
The minimum size of the filesystem as estimated by resize2fs may be incorrect, especially for filesystems with 1k and 2k blocksizes. AUTHOR
resize2fs was written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu>. COPYRIGHT
Resize2fs is Copyright 1998 by Theodore Ts'o and PowerQuest, Inc. All rights reserved. As of April, 2000 Resize2fs may be redistributed under the terms of the GPL. SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), e2fsck(8), mke2fs(8), lvm(8), lvextend(8) E2fsprogs version 1.42.9 December 2013 RESIZE2FS(8)