Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Different way to connect to database ans execute sql query Post 302417110 by Corona688 on Wednesday 28th of April 2010 01:39:54 PM
Old 04-28-2010
The first one looks like you're telling the database to load the file.

The second one is feeding it select statements right from a here document in the shell script.

The third one is telling it the file to load right from the commandline.

None of these are going to be important to the speed of the query, 99% of the work is happening inside the database and not in the shell. Where the shell script resides makes little difference to the speed of execution either (unless you have a really slow disk or NFS link lurking on your system somewhere.) The third would probably be microscopically fastest since the shell needs to do the least amount of work to do it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

TO execute .sql 2005 query file in shell script

Hi, I know in oracle a .sql file is called by @ <path> /<filename>. But how to call in sql 2005, I am opening the sql sessionwith sqsh, is there any command to execute there a .sql file (query in sql 2005) in K shell script. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: n2ekhil
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Oracle SQL Query & connect?

Hi I'm looking to query a table on a database and then iterate over the results in a loop. I believe this is the last part of my script that I need (after finding out threads for passing variables to other scripts and calling functions in other scripts). I've searched the forums but the best... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dird
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute SQL query in unix script

Hi I am new in unix. oracle and unix are installed in my sytem.i need the script which could connect to the oracle using username ,password and schema and can run the select * from tab query. Thanks vijay (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijays3
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

We need a script that invokes the sql query every 14 days ans send email

Hi, We need a script that invokes the sql query every 14 days ans send email (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bujjisveeru
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

We need a script that invokes the sql query every 14 days ans send email

HI, We need a script that invokes the sql query every 14 days ans send email (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bujjisveeru
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Linux to connect to a database and execute store procedure

HI, i want to write a script (Linux) that: 1) connect to a database oracle 2) execute some store procedure. Can anybody help me, please? Thanks a lot Andrew (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manichino74
3 Replies

7. Programming

JDBC code to pass the SQL query as parameter and execute?

Below i have the sample code. i need to pass the entire query from file or as parameter and read the results and write into a output file. here the number of columns are unknown. some times it may be 2,3 or entire columns from the table. read all the column results and write into a comma... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Korn Script to connect and query oracle database

I've been sent the following script to finish. It's supposed to connect to an oracle database, query it, and send an email if the query result value is one or more. Currently it isn't connecting properly, just giving the following error: ERROR: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackmorgan2007
2 Replies

9. AIX

Connect to database server and execute sql

I have a requirement and below is the detail. Create a shell script and needs to run in server "a". Connect to teradata database server "b". execute the .sql file from server "a" Save the output of the query to a file in server "a" Schedule this shell script to run every day for every 4... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MadhuSeven
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to execute sql query.

Hi Experts, Need your support. Not able to use sql query alias in shell script. Could you please help me in finding right way to use alias with sql query in shell script. Below is the code i am using. #!/bin/bash sqlplus -s abc/abc@abc << EOF> bcd.csv set trimspool on select zone_id... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
4 Replies
ATF-SH(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 ATF-SH(1)

NAME
atf-sh [-s shell] -- interpreter for shell-based test programs SYNOPSIS
atf-sh script DESCRIPTION
atf-sh is an interpreter that runs the test program given in script after loading the atf-sh(3) library. atf-sh is not a real interpreter though: it is just a wrapper around the system-wide shell defined by ATF_SHELL. atf-sh executes the inter- preter, loads the atf-sh(3) library and then runs the script. You must consider atf-sh to be a POSIX shell by default and thus should not use any non-standard extensions. The following options are available: -s shell Specifies the shell to use instead of the value provided by ATF_SHELL. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_LIBEXECDIR Overrides the builtin directory where atf-sh is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_PKGDATADIR Overrides the builtin directory where libatf-sh.subr is located. Should not be overridden other than for testing purposes. ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. Scripts must not rely on this variable being set to select a specific interpreter. EXAMPLES
Scripts using atf-sh(3) should start with: #! /usr/bin/env atf-sh Alternatively, if you want to explicitly choose a shell interpreter, you cannot rely on env(1) to find atf-sh. Instead, you have to hardcode the path to atf-sh in the script and then use the -s option afterwards as a single parameter: #! /path/to/bin/atf-sh -s/bin/bash ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used in the generated scripts. SEE ALSO
atf-sh(3) BSD
September 27, 2014 BSD