Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Conflict with PIDs
Operating Systems Solaris Conflict with PIDs Post 302415810 by jlliagre on Friday 23rd of April 2010 11:07:01 AM
Old 04-23-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedder191
But it's when it's trying to pick up a pid it stops
That doesn't make much sense. A process is getting a pid affected to it before starting to do anything on its own. The only issue that might affect that would be a process table full (30000 by default but can be increased to 999999 if I recall correctly).

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

PIDs of background process

How to track the pid of a background child process(shell script) from a parent script ? For example :- $ sleep 10000 & 4220 where 4220 is the pid of bg process sleep. Now my requirement is to keep the sleep statement in a shell script(test.ksh) and will be invoking it from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the maximum # of PIDs

Is there a command in HP Unix which can be used inside a K shell to find out the maximum number of processes (PIDs) a pc can generate? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Steve (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for PIDs

I am trying to write a Shell script wherein the shell needs to read a list of PID in the File $stat/bin/Process and compare it to the PID of the processes running on a server. Also the script should return KO(not OK) with corresponding label :- a) When an environmental variable not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marconi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing PIDs in shell..

Hi, There is a file having a list of running PIDs and another file having a list of registered PIDs. How can we check if the number of running PIDs are less or more than the registered PIDs, comparing the total no. in each and also each value. Request you to pls give your inputs. Thanks a... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing PIDs in a Shell...

Hi, There is a file having a list of running PIDs (pid_process) and another file having a list of registered PIDs (pid_regieter). I want to check if:- a) there is at least one running PID that does not correspond to a registered PID (listing the PID not registered in the file) ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Track and kill the PIDS

I have a script that conducts some SSH calls and I would like to capture the child info so that I can do a sleep and then a cleanup to make sure they do not stay out there as ghosts. I was told I could do something like this... #!/bin/sh for m = job1, job2, job3 x=1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LRoberts
4 Replies

7. HP-UX

Conflict between df -k and du -sk...again

Hi, I know this has been discussed a number of time but i could not get the exact answer. So need help again. Issue: The two command for same file system shows different size. du -sk shows toatl size is 12780685 KB while df -k 45289229 used allocated Kb /oxt/mantran/bin $ du -sk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaya_17
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

differentiating PIDs under 200

Hey, So I'm new to shell scripting, and I'm trying to write one for my lab that will keep down the work load by deleting processes that are left over from previous sessions. Basically I want it to do three things. 1) Check the processes running 2) See if that person is logged on. 3) if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prgoodwin
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to kill pids

Hi there !!! I am writing a script to kill the pids on different linux boxes :cool: the output of my command gives the pids running on that box, but how can I kill all the pids without looping? :confused: Code: ssh $i ps -fu $USER | grep ManServer | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}' | kill ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prany_cool
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get all associated pids

im looking for a portable way to get the PID of the script that is running, and to get every other PIDs that are spawned from it. and by ever other PIDs, i presume, that would be "child processes". however, i want to shy away from using any command that is not available on every single unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies
SETPGID(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							SETPGID(2)

NAME
setpgid, setpgrp -- set process group LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setpgid(pid_t pid, pid_t pgrp); int setpgrp(pid_t pid, pid_t pgrp); DESCRIPTION
setpgid() sets the process group of the specified process pid to the specified pgrp. If pid is zero, then the call applies to the current process. If pgrp is zero, then the process id of the process specified by pid is used instead. If the invoker is not the super-user, then the affected process must have the same effective user-id as the invoker or be a descendant of the invoking process. RETURN VALUES
setpgid() returns 0 when the operation was successful. If the request failed, -1 is returned and the global variable errno indicates the reason. ERRORS
setpgid() will fail and the process group will not be altered if: [EACCES] The value of the pid argument matches the process ID of a child process of the calling process, and the child process has successfully executed one of the exec functions. [EINVAL] The value of the pgrp argument is less than zero. [EPERM] The effective user ID of the requested process is different from that of the caller and the process is not a descendant of the calling process. [ESRCH] The value of the pid argument does not match the process ID of the calling process or of a child process of the calling process. SEE ALSO
getpgrp(2) STANDARDS
The setpgid() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1''). COMPATIBILITY
setpgrp() is identical to setpgid(), and is retained for calling convention compatibility with historical versions of BSD. BSD
December 18, 2003 BSD