Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grabbing filename from text file....should be easy! Post 302411818 by kuliksco on Friday 9th of April 2010 01:32:00 PM
Old 04-09-2010
grabbing filename from text file....should be easy!

Quick question...I'm trying to grab the .tif file name from this output from our fax server. What is the best way i can do this in a bash script? I have been looking at regular expressions with bash or using awk but having some trouble. thanks! The only output i want is 'cert375670-20100409-032044.tif'

Code:
vsifax@faxer1# vfxstat 1378410
Status for VSI-FAX fax job: 1378410

Submitted by: mfgapp                E-mail      : <none>
Submit time : 04/09 03:24           Queue       : outgoing
Result      : expired               Status      : Max tries reached

To name     : <none>                From name   : Mfgapp User
To company  : Test Company        From company: <none>
To fax #    : 915555555555            From fax #  : <none>
To voice #  : <none>                From voice #: <none>

Subject     : <none>
Num dialed  : 915555555555

File  1     :   1 pg   cert375670-20100409-032044.tif
Total pgs   :   1 pg

Last edited by vgersh99; 04-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help on installing an EASY to use and easy to install command line text editor

Hi again. Sorry if it seems like I'm spamming the boards a bit, but I figured I might as well ask all the questions I need answers to at once, and hopefully at least get some. I have installed Solaris 10 on a server. The default text editors are there (vi, ex, ed, maybe others, I know emacs is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EugeneG
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove filename is text file

Hello, I got files full path in a text file like that /main/k/kdelibs/kdelibs4c2a_3.5.10.dfsg.1-2ubuntu7_i386.deb /main/k/kdelibs-experimental/libknotificationitem-dev_4.3.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb /main/k/kdemultimedia/dragonplayer_4.3.2-0ubuntu1_i386.deb... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Easy way to pull a paragraph from a text file?

I have a collection of text files that comprise a mailing list archive. I grep them to find an email that interests me, then open the file in a text editor to find the surrounding paragraph of text. Is there an easy way to do this from the shell instead? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: CRGreathouse
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing filename and grabbing specific string patterns

Hi guys...Wow I just composed a huge post and it got erased as I was logged out automatically Anyways I hope someone can help me out here. So the task I'm working on is like this I have a bunch of files that I care about sitting in a directory say $HOME/files Now my job is to go and loop... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rukasetsuna
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing text and using that text in a newly created line

Hello, I am really stuck and I'm hoping somone can help. I have a text file that is similar to this: <--First User--> <function>account='uid=user1,....... <--Second User--> <function>account='uid=user2,.......What I want is to grab the usernames after "uid=" and before the following... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mafia910
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing top line of text in a file and setting it to a variable

If I have a txt file with test.txt somelineoftext and I want to set that line of text to variable in a script: so #!/bin/bash var='' becomes #!/bin/bash var='somelineoftext' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing a chunk of text from a file

Hi, I have a Report.txt file. Say the contents of this file are : 1 2 3 4 5 7 df v g gf e r dfkf lsdk dslsdklsdk Report Start: xxxxxxdad asdffsdfsdfsdfasfasdffasdf sadfasdfsadffsfsdf Report End. sdfasdfasdf sdfasfdasdfasdfasdfasdf sadfasdfsdf I need to grab from Report Start... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrskittles99
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing data between 2 points in text file

I have a text file that shows the output of my solar inverters. I want to separate this into sections. overview , device 1 , device 2 , device 3. Each device has different number of lines. but they all have unique starting points. Overview starts with 6 #'s, Devices have 4#'s and their data starts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mikey
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to place specific contents filename within text file

I am trying to use awk to place the contens of a filename in $1 and $2 followed by the data in the text file. Basically, put the filename within the text file. There are over 1000 files in the directory and as of now each file is saved with a unique name but it is not within the file. Thank you... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabbing text between two lines with shell variables.

I would like to grab complex html text between lines using variables. I am running Debian and using mksh shell. Here is the part of the html that I want to extract from. I would like to extract the words 'to love,' and I would like to use the above and below lines as reference points. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bedtime
3 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a filename containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)