Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users /var/adm/messages vs /var/log/messages Post 302410994 by sysgate on Wednesday 7th of April 2010 10:23:34 AM
Old 04-07-2010
It will depend on the Linux distribution and the things you are interested in.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

I'm running a Solaris 9 box with Oracle databases on it. I'm getting the following messages in my /var/adm/messages log "Jun 24 12:30:32 sundb01 bootpd: IP address not found: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" ...where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is DHCP IP addresses of Windows 2000 workstations in the organisation. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
2 Replies

2. Solaris

[urgent help] error log on /var/adm/messages

hi experts, i'm having more error log on /var/adm/messages could anyone help to description what is this error logs means???? and how to fix it? below is the logs : Nov 22 20:03:40 USSDGtbs-1 unix: Nov 22 20:03:40 USSDGtbs-1 ^Mpanic/thread=3001345edc0: Nov 22 20:03:40 USSDGtbs-1 unix: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Info req: /var/adm/messages - Kern.warning - different ID messages

Hi all, where I can find a list and meaning of the ID number (for example ID 353554 kern.warning)? Thanks in advance Pierluigi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Petrucci
1 Replies

4. Solaris

/var/adm/messages

Check message file and result posted below. Can anyone tell me what this is a sign of, what does it mean? server1% more messages.0 Dec 02 09:35:06 server1 bsd-gw: Inval id protocol request (65): AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA^\\2... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: finster
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Help understanding [daemon.warning] messages in /var/adm/messages

Hi I've been using solaris for a few days now. During the install process i had some problems configuring my nic as i needed to install a third-party driver, which i got from a a linked site from the Sun Device Detector tool a ran prior to installing. I got it working eventually, but i'm... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpg.2009
1 Replies

6. Solaris

[kern.warning] messages in /var/adm/messages

Hi Having looked through the log file /var/adm/messages i've noticed these kernel warning messages and i don't know what they mean: !-- @page { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } --> cpudrv: NOTICE: cpu_acpi: _TSS package not found. cpudrv: WARNING:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jpg.2009
1 Replies

7. Solaris

diff b/w /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

hi sirs can u tell the difference between /var/log/syslogs and /var/adm/messages in my working place i am having two servers. in one servers messages file is empty and syslog file is going on increasing.. and in another servers message file is going on increasing but syslog file is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Difference between /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages

Hi, Is the contents in /var/log/syslog and /var/adm/messages are same?? Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vks47
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Local zone is not logging systems messages to /var/adm/messages

This is isolated to just 1 non-global zone out of many zones managed This is a Solaris 11 system on SPARC This is NOT a branded zone syslogd is active This came to our attention when one of our scripts didn't run over the weekend prompting us to check our messages logging in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: samthewildone
6 Replies
SCROLLKEEPER-REBUILDDB(8)				      System Manager's Manual					 SCROLLKEEPER-REBUILDDB(8)

NAME
scrollkeeper-rebuilddb - rebuild the scrollkeeper document catalog database SYNOPSIS
scrollkeeper-rebuilddb [-p path ] [-v] [-q] DESCRIPTION
This rebuilds the ScrollKeeper database from the original OMF metadata files and documents. Under normal situations, this tool is not nec- essary. It is useful however if the database becomes corrupt, which could be caused by interruption of ScrollKeeper during an update of the database. Errors and warnings are logged to /var/log/scrollkeeper.log. OPTIONS
-p path Use path as the ScrollKeeper database directory. -v Verbose. Show warnings and error messages in addition to logging them to /var/log/scrollkeeper.log. -q Run in quiet mode, suppressing output of all but the most serious warning and error messages to STDOUT. Note that most output to the log file will be unchanged. FILES
/var/lib/scrollkeeper/scrollkeeper_docs /var/lib/scrollkeeper/TOC/<docnumber> /var/lib/scrollkeeper/<locale>/scrollkeeper_cl.xml /var/lib/scrollkeeper/<locale>/scrollkeeper_extended_cl.xml /var/log/scrollkeeper.log AUTHOR
Laszlo Kovacs <laszlo.kovacs@sun.com> Dan Mueth <d-mueth@uchicago.edu> SEE ALSO
scrollkeeper-config(1), scrollkeeper-gen-seriesid(1), scrollkeeper.conf(5), scrollkeeper(7), scrollkeeper-preinstall(8), scrollkeeper- update(8) scrollkeeper Dec 5, 2001 SCROLLKEEPER-REBUILDDB(8)