Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to make grep stop at first match Post 302409528 by Scott on Thursday 1st of April 2010 11:38:17 AM
Old 04-01-2010
Hi.

GNU grep has the -m option for that, but AIX grep doesn't have such a feature, I think.

You can use sed, if that's quick enough. Something like

Code:
$ sed -n "/something/{p;q;}" mytextfile

or

$ sed "/something/{!d;q;}" mytextfile

Your original grep solution would probably be OK if you ran it as:
Code:
grep "mystring" mytextfile

instead of in a while loop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Need to make disk device files match

Hi, I was wondering if there was a way to change the disk device files ex. /dev/dsk/cxtxd0 ? What I have are two HPUX 11.0 servers using MC Service Guard 11.13. A consultant attached a SAN and both servers had created the same identical LUN device files. Now I could begin creating my volume... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvizza
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make grep -c display like grep -n?

Hey Guys, Wondering if there is a way to do the following I have a file called test.txt abc def abc abc def I have a pattern file called pattern.txt containing the following abc def I want to do a count, but have it display the count value preceeding each line like grep -n (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jerrad
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What can make Cronjobs stop working??

Up until two days ago they were working junt fine, then stoped working with out me doing anything. Yesterday they started working again...and then stoped working, at about the same time of day that they stoped working the day before. service crond restart did nothing. All SSH signs point to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nintendo
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep question: stop search from finding entire line

Sorry for the title, I really don't know how to word this question or what to even search for. I tried "grep one match", "grep 1 match", "stop grep" on both google and here and haven't found something that helps, so here I go: I have a file that's about 1.5 million lines long, every line looks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmoakler
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to grep for a title match and then make some queries after the match

Here is the sample of my file address.txt Address 1 1234 Drive way New Orleans, LA Zipcode :- 12345 Address 2 4567 Spring way Chicago, IL Zipcode :- 67890 I would like to grep for an Address title (Ex :- Address 2) , then get its zipcode and echo both in a single line. Ex :- ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leo.maveriick
3 Replies

6. AIX

Stop grep in /proc

Hello, I want to kill a root process: # find/ | xargs grep - L “G-string” The grep is in /proc and obviously the kill -9 does not stop it. How to stop it without shutdown -Fr ? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trunk
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep Stop status from the output of script and send an eamil alert.

Hello Team, I have script which gives below output. Server clustServer11 is in a STARTED state Server clustServer12 is in a STOPPED state Server clustServer21 is in a STOPPED state I would like to prepare script which will grep stop word from the above output and send an email alert. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolguyamy
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to make this grep command

/usr/xpg4/bin/grep -e "Type" / datarecords.txt output datarecords.txt: male | datarecords.txt: male | datarecords.txt: female i wanna the output to be :male | :male | :female at the end not to appear the filename fom grep command :D :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: teefa
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep to make a header

How would I do the following : Records other than ”ATOM”,”CONNECT”, ”HETATM”, ”TER” and ”END” are considered header records which describe the metadata about the molecule. Use grep to generate the header. I have this chemistry database. On the attachment. But I am not sure how to use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: homeylova223
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on grep for particular match

Hi, Need help on grep for a particular match. cat testfile xx.xx.xx.xx:/share4 /nfsshare15 nfs defaults yes no xx.xx.xx.xx:/share5 /nfsshare15/sharedir1 nfs defaults 0 0 xx.xx.xx.xx:/share6 /nfsshare15/sharedir2 nfs defaults 0 0 Scenario... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumanthupar
6 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)