Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to check for Input Redirection in my script? Post 302408480 by bharath.gct on Monday 29th of March 2010 03:42:23 PM
Old 03-29-2010
Thanks bakunin for the detailed explanation. Below ismy requirement.

I currently have my script written only to accept user inputs (which obviously has many echoes and is constantly relying on the terminal input by user). Now i am trying to add the Input from file functionality also to it (where I would want the script to run with no echoes and terminal inputs, more like a script silently running on the background taking the inputs from the file). Which is why I need to find the rediection flag so that I can handle both of the scenarios differently.

The one way I could think of now, is using the filename as an argument and checking for argument count. Based ona rg count, I handle each case seperately.

Let me know if there is a better approach.

Sincerely appreciate your comments.

thanks again,
Bharath

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input Redirection

Hi everybody, first of all i am a new member in UNIX.com and this is my first post. I am impressed with the amount of information a person can ever have in this forum, it is really great having something similiar; anyways let me tell you about the problem I am having, hope you will answer me.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: majeed73
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input redirection question

Hi, in my script I need to execute the following command: query $id 456 432 but it waits for a RETURN character from keyboard and therefore, it fails. I tried something like: query $id 456 432 << '\n' but, i'ts clear it is not correct. Is there any way to do this? Thxs. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: luistid
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Asking about shell script input output redirection

Hi, Can anyone please tell me what these lines do? ls >& outfile ls outfile 2>&1 Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trivektor
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

permanent redirection of standard input

while running a user inter-active program how can we get the commands from a file instead of the user? is there anyway to permanently redirect content of a file to standard input? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection and for loop

Hello, I need help with a bash script that I try to improve. I could not find answer so far, maybe because I'm not to familiar with the terminology so feel free to correct my language. I have a script that looks like: NODES="node_a node_b node_c" for NODE in $NODES do ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pn8830
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read input and output redirection filename within a script

Hello everyone, My requirement is that within a script I need to construct the command line exactly that it was invoked with. For example : sh a.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 < input.txt > output.txt Now within a.sh, I construct a file which has these contents " sh a.sh arg1 arg2 arg3 < input.txt >... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedonist12
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script?

How to check the user input to be valid using shell script? The valid input is in the format like as follows. 1. It can only have r,w,x or a hyphen and nothing else. 2. ensure the r, w, x are in the correct order. for example: rwxr-xr-x is a valid format. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hyeewang
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When do I use input redirection?

Can someone please explain when input redirection is necessary? For example, "cat filename" and "cat< filename" produce the same result. I was told that if I need to bunzip a file that I should type "bunzip2<filename.bz2." However, if I omit the "<" I still get the same result. Can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection script

Hi, #!/bin/bash while ; do rm -f /tmp/pipe mkfifo /tmp/pipe ./yuv4mpeg_to_v4l2 < /tmp/pipe & mplayer tom_and_jerry.mp4 -vf scale=480:360 -vo yuv4mpeg:file=/tmp/pipe sleep 65; done When I run this - after mplayer finishes playing video it says - Exiting... (End of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashokvpp
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Input redirection within bash script

Hi, when I try to redirect input and the command is described as a string within an array redirection does not work. why? #!/bin/bash dir=("tail < ./hello.txt") tail < ./hello.txt #works ${dir} #does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heinzel
2 Replies
script(1)							   User Commands							 script(1)

NAME
script - make record of a terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [filename] DESCRIPTION
The script utility makes a record of everything printed on your screen. The record is written to filename. If no file name is given, the record is saved in the file typescript. See WARNINGS. The script command forks and creates a sub-shell, according to the value of $SHELL, and records the text from this session. The script ends when the forked shell exits or when Control-d is typed. OPTIONS
The following option is supported: -a Appends the session record to filename, rather than overwriting it. NOTES
script places everything that appears on the screen in filename, including prompts. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) WARNINGS
script can pose a security risk when used in directories that are writable by other users (for example, /tmp), especially when run by a privileged user, that is, root. Be sure that typescript is not a link before running script. SunOS 5.10 30 Jan 2004 script(1)