Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Field separator in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Field separator in awk Post 302408432 by kshji on Monday 29th of March 2010 12:59:34 PM
Old 03-29-2010
If you need split one string to the fields, the awk is huge tool for that. You can use builtin properties (ksh93, bash, ...).
Code:
oifs="$IFS"        # save input field delemiter
IFS=":"             # set input fld delim.
flds=($TIME)     # parse input the array
fld1=${flds[0]}  # first field index is 0
numberOfFlds=${#flds[@]}
for var in fld1 numberOfFlds
do
      eval echo $var = \$$var
done

Or using read, this version works also with dash, ksh88, sh, ...
Code:
TIME=12:44
IFS=":" read fld1 fld2 xstr <<EOF
$TIME
EOF
for var in fld1 fld2
do
      eval echo $var = \$$var
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't figure out what field separator to use in awk....

Hi Friends, Scripting newb here. So I'm trying to create a geektool script that uses awk and printf to output certain fields from top (namely command, cpu%, rsize, pid and time, in that order). Here's the input from the top process that I'm putting into awk: PID COMMAND %CPU ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thom.mattson
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamically change awk Field Separator FS

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone knew how to dynamically change the FS in awk to accept vairiable containing a field separator. the current code is as below and does not work when i introduce the dynamic FS change :-( validate_source_file() { source_file=$1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satnamx
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk (nawk) field separator

Hi; i have a file and i want to get; - If the last word in line 14 is NOT equal to "Set."; then print 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th values of 3rd line. and my code is: nawk 'NR==14 {if ($NF!="Set.") (NR==3{print $2,$3,$4,$5}) }' file.txt but no result?? :confused::(:confused::( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk, comma as field separator and text inside double quotes as a field.

Hi, all I need to get fields in a line that are separated by commas, some of the fields are enclosed with double quotes, and they are supposed to be treated as a single field even if there are commas inside the quotes. sample input: for this line, 5 fields are supposed to be extracted, they... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - show field separator

I am using this code to insert something into a csv file: awk -F";" -v url=$url -v nr=$nr 'NR==nr{$2=url$2}1' file Why do I get the output field1 field2 instead of field1;field2 I have given -F";", so the field separator should surely be ";". (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - output field separator

In awk, how do I print all fields with a specified output field separator? I have tried the following, which does not print the output FS: echo a b c d | awk 'BEGIN{OFS = ";"}{print $0}' (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk field separator

I need to set awk field separator to ";", but I need to avoid ";EXT". so that echo a;b;c;EXTd;e;f | awk -F";" '{print $3}' would give "c;EXTd" (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk field separator help -

Hi Experts , file : - How to construct the awk filed separator so that $1, $2 $3 , can be assigned to the each "" range. I am trying : awk -F"]" '{print $1}' but it is printing the entire file. Not first field. The desired output needed for first field... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Field Separator in printf (awk)

I can not figure out how to set the Output filed separator in awk when using printf. Example: cat file some data here_is_more information Requested output some------------data her_is_more-----information Here are some that does not work: awk '{printf "%-15s %s\n",$1,$2}' OFS="-" file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk field separator not working

Hi, can some some help to get me the right results, I have few text files, need to grep few columns from each file and get the results in one row with comma separated. my code is #folder=/nz/kit/log/backupsvr folder=/export/home/nz/valai/tmpfiles/ echo $folder for entry in `ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ValaiG
4 Replies
Template::Plugin::URL(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Template::Plugin::URL(3)

NAME
Template::Plugin::URL - Plugin to construct complex URLs SYNOPSIS
[% USE url('/cgi-bin/foo.pl') %] [% url(debug = 1, id = 123) %] # ==> /cgi/bin/foo.pl?debug=1&amp;id=123 [% USE mycgi = url('/cgi-bin/bar.pl', mode='browse', debug=1) %] [% mycgi %] # ==> /cgi/bin/bar.pl?mode=browse&amp;debug=1 [% mycgi(mode='submit') %] # ==> /cgi/bin/bar.pl?mode=submit&amp;debug=1 [% mycgi(debug='d2 p0', id='D4-2k[4]') %] # ==> /cgi-bin/bar.pl?mode=browse&amp;debug=d2%20p0&amp;id=D4-2k%5B4%5D DESCRIPTION
The "URL" plugin can be used to construct complex URLs from a base stem and a hash array of additional query parameters. The constructor should be passed a base URL and optionally, a hash array reference of default parameters and values. Used from with a template, it would look something like the following: [% USE url('http://www.somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo.pl') %] [% USE url('/cgi-bin/bar.pl', mode='browse') %] [% USE url('/cgi-bin/baz.pl', mode='browse', debug=1) %] When the plugin is then called without any arguments, the default base and parameters are returned as a formatted query string. [% url %] For the above three examples, these will produce the following outputs: http://www.somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo.pl /cgi-bin/bar.pl?mode=browse /cgi-bin/baz.pl?mode=browse&amp;debug=1 Note that additional parameters are separated by '"&amp;"' rather than simply '"&"'. This is the correct behaviour for HTML pages but is, unfortunately, incorrect when creating URLs that do not need to be encoded safely for HTML. This is likely to be corrected in a future version of the plugin (most probably with TT3). In the mean time, you can set $Template::Plugin::URL::JOINT to "&" to get the correct behaviour. Additional parameters may be also be specified to the URL: [% url(mode='submit', id='wiz') %] Which, for the same three examples, produces: http://www.somewhere.com/cgi-bin/foo.pl?mode=submit&amp;id=wiz /cgi-bin/bar.pl?mode=browse&amp;id=wiz /cgi-bin/baz.pl?mode=browse&amp;debug=1&amp;id=wiz A new base URL may also be specified as the first option: [% url('/cgi-bin/waz.pl', test=1) %] producing /cgi-bin/waz.pl?test=1 /cgi-bin/waz.pl?mode=browse&amp;test=1 /cgi-bin/waz.pl?mode=browse&amp;debug=1&amp;test=1 The ordering of the parameters is non-deterministic due to fact that Perl's hashes themselves are unordered. This isn't a problem as the ordering of CGI parameters is insignificant (to the best of my knowledge). All values will be properly escaped thanks to some code borrowed from Lincoln Stein's "CGI" module. e.g. [% USE url('/cgi-bin/woz.pl') %] [% url(name="Elrich von Benjy d'Weiro") %] Here the spaces and ""'"" character are escaped in the output: /cgi-bin/woz.pl?name=Elrich%20von%20Benjy%20d%27Weiro An alternate name may be provided for the plugin at construction time as per regular Template Toolkit syntax. [% USE mycgi = url('cgi-bin/min.pl') %] [% mycgi(debug=1) %] AUTHOR
Andy Wardley <abw@wardley.org> <http://wardley.org/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin perl v5.12.1 2008-11-13 Template::Plugin::URL(3)