Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Suggestions for adding columns to text file Post 302408008 by cfajohnson on Saturday 27th of March 2010 04:10:52 PM
Old 03-27-2010
Code:
awk '
  NR == 1 { printf "index", $0; next }
          { print NR - 1, $0 }
' "$file"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding columns to a file

I want to select the first column from a daily file called foo.csv. The result is written to file foo.txt. Currently the following script is used for that: cut -d, -f 1 foo.csv > foo.txt A typical result would yield : A12 A45 B11 B67 What needs to happen in addition is that two columns... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding specific text and spaces to each line in a text file

Hi, I wanted to add specific text to each row in a text file containing three rows. Example: 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8 9 0 7 9 7 8 9 0 1 2 And I want to add a 21 at the beginning of the first row, and blank spaces at the beginning of the second two rows. To get this: 21 0 8 7 6 5 5 7 8... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hertingm
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding lines and columns to a file

Hi everybody, I've got two simples file1 like: aaa aaa aaa bbb bbb bbb ccc ccc ccc and file2 like: 111 111 111 222 222 222 333 333 333 I need to: 1) add a line say "new line" as the first line of the file 2)add a column from file2 (say column3) to file1; the new column should... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zajtat
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash help]Adding multiple lines of text into a specific spot into a text file

I am attempting to insert multiple lines of text into a specific place in a text file based on the lines above or below it. For example, Here is a portion of a zone file. IN NS ns1.domain.tld. IN NS ns2.domain.tld. IN ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdn_humbucker
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding a new column in a file with other existing columns

Hi All , Kindly help me with this soln awk '{printf "%s %7s \n", $1,$c}' infile where value of variable c I am externally giving input But executing the above command shows all the columns of infile where as I want only 1st column of infile and 2nd column should print value c (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix File - Adding columns in the middle

Hello, I have a comma separated flat file. It contains some 20 columns. I want to add two new columns at position 2,3. So that file will have 22 columns. I am providing here sample data with file having 4 columns. Appreciate your help in finding solution for this. data in input file:... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi.videla
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing columns from a text file that do not have any values in second and third columns

I have a text file that has three columns. But at the end of the text file, there are trailing lines that have missing second and third columns: 4 0.04972604 KLHL28 4 0.0497332 CSTB 4 0.04979822 AIF1 4 0.04983331 DECR2 4 0.04990344 KATNB1 4 4 4 4 How can I remove the trailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl - adding columns to file

I have a file in which I need to add more columns to based on a key in the first file: File1 key1,abc,123, key2,def,456, key3,ghi,789, File2 key2,zyx,111,qqq, key3,yuu,222,www, key1,pui,333,eee, key4,xxx,999,rrr, I would like to create the following output: Output (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WongSifu
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - Filter columns in text file and adding new column

Hello, I am very now to this, hope you can help, I am looking into editing a file in Solaris, with dinamic collums (lenght varies) and I need 2 things to be made, the fist is to filter the first column and third column from the file bellow file.txt, and create a new file with the 2 filtered... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpbastos
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in adding text before columns in shell script

Hello, Can someone please help in below requirement. My requirement is to add date before to first column,some text before 1st,2nd coulmns and insert a new column in between 2 and 3 columns. input file. aa 123 dddd aa 667 kdkdk ddj 738 kkkk aa 123 dddd aa 667 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cva2568
5 Replies
rhythmbox(1)						      General Commands Manual						      rhythmbox(1)

NAME
rhythmbox-client - controls a running instance of rhythmbox SYNOPSIS
rhythmbox-client [option...][file...] DESCRIPTION
rhythmbox-client is a tool for controlling an already running instance of rhythmbox. It's useful for remote control scripting, adding spe- cific files to the library from the shell, or printing details of what's playing. Any files specified after the option arguments will be added to the library. If the --enqueue option is given, the files will also be added to the play queue. OPTIONS
-?,--help Show help options --debug Enable debug output --no-start Do not start a new instance of rhythmbox --no-present Don't present an existing rhythmbox window --next Jump to next song --previous Jump to previous song --play Resume playback if currently paused --pause Pause playback if currently playing --play-pause Toggle play/pause mode --play-uri=URI Play a specified URI, importing it if necessary --enqueue Add specified tracks already in the library to the play queue --clear-queue Empty the play queue before adding new tracks --print-playing Print the title and artist of the playing song --print-playing-format=format Print formatted details of the song (see FORMAT OPTIONS below). --set-volume Set the playback volume --volume-up Increase the playback volume --volume-down Decrease the playback volume --print-volume Print the current playback volume --select-source=URI Select the source corresponding to a URI (device or mount point) --activate-source=URI Select the source corresponding to a URI (device or mount point) and start playing from it if not already playing. --play-source=URI Select the source corresponding to a URI (device or mount point) and start playing from it. FORMAT OPTIONS
%at album title %aa album artist %aA album artist (lowercase) %as album artist sortname %aS album artist sortname (lowercase) %ay album year %ag album genre %aG album genre (lowercase) %an album disc number %aN album disc number, zero padded %st stream title %tn track number (i.e 8) %tN track number, zero padded (i.e 08) %tt track title %ta track artist %tA track artist (lowercase) %ts track artist sortname %tS track artist sortname (lowercase) %td track duration %te track elapsed time Variables can be combined using quotes. For example "%tn %aa %tt", will print the track number followed by the artist and the title of the track. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Sven Arvidsson <sa@whiz.se>, for the Debian system (but may be used by others). SEE ALSO
rhythmbox(1). GNOME
2007-06-28 rhythmbox(1)